ATTN Youtube enthusiasts

Callisto

Original poster
Jan 2, 2014
Atlanta
This is a bit of old news that was announced last year, but the deadline is almost upon us. If you ever watch Youtube through a Smart TV or Blu-ray player, that may be about to change. Youtube announced last year that it will no longer support the v2 API based YouTube app on certain devices. I have a Blu-ray player that will be affected. Fortunately it's not the first place I go to for watching Youtube, but it's a nice feature that I do use on occasion when I can find content with good enough sound quality that I can watch and want to hear through my home theater.

I don't really like the move, but I'm not as upset as people who have equipment as new as model year 2012 which will be affected. That really wasn't very long ago and Google is being blasted by many for this, especially those who bought more expensive Smart TV's and say that Google is sticking it to the consumer.

It also appears that the hardware manufacturers are claiming that they cannot provide a solution. Except to possibly sell a newer device that supports Youtube v3 API.

End of life date for affected equipment is just one week away on April 20, 2015.

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/6098135?p=yt_devicesupport&hl=en-GB&rd=1

Tivo Series 3 soon will no longer be able to display YouTube either. I'm not sure if its for the same reason.

Breaking something that currently works fine seems to me to be a suspicious move by Google.

Google should offer a free Chromecast with 3 or 4 month YouTube paid subscription at $10/mo. That would soften the blow.

Tivo Series 3 soon will no longer be able to display YouTube either. I'm not sure if its for the same reason.

Breaking something that currently works fine seems to me to be a suspicious move by Google.
If that happens on April 20, then it would be for the same reason. Incidentally, Google says that its replacement API v3 is also now identified on their 'deprecation policy' which I take to mean buyer beware for anyone that has or is thinking about buying equipment not affected this time around.

If that happens on April 20, then it would be for the same reason....
On my Tivo Series 3 the displayed message is
"As of April 16, you can no longer access new content from the Amazon and YouTube apps on this TiVo DVR."

No reason is given. Maybe they meant the 20th?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)