AU9 & H21's/HR21's

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Digital Logic

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
Norwalk, CA
My 1st post here to this forum has been real helpful and I'm aiming for another successful post.

I'm looking into upgrading my entire system for my household. I'm looking at getting the AU9 & maybe a DVR as well as a standard HD receiver.

Now... my question is this: I do not have a HDTV display just yet but looking into getting one very soon as well. Is it possible to run these HD receivers with the AV/S-Video outputs and still get the HD channels? I dont mind if the channels are real low quality (480i) just as long as it works until i get a new TV.

Thanks for your help

Yes, you can connect the HD receiver via composite/S-video as long as you keep the resolution set at 480i. Convincing the installer you are competent enough to swap the TVs without causing him to get a repeat service call "may" be another issue. DirecTV is getting back-charge happy forcing techs to go-by-the-book if you will.

I use my HR21 on a 20-year-old Sony analog TV. The resolution out of the composite and S-Video outputs is always fixed at 480i, so there is no need to set that value. You probably want to set it to 4:3 instead of 16:9, however. The picture quality of HD channels on an analog set is somewhat better than the equivalent SD channels, mainly due to reduced compression.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)