Audio and Video Intermittently Out of Sync

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

skoerner

Original poster
Mar 22, 2004
I am a relatively new Dish Network customer (about 4 months). This is my first experience with satellite TV. I've noticed ever since I've had my system (301), that the sound and audio are sometimes out of sync. It's usually only a little out of sync (i.e. less than a second), but it is noticible (sometimes more than others). It seems like i've noticed it most often on the Travel Channel, but i've also seen it on TechTV and a few others. It's not all the time and sometimes if I change the channel and come back, it gets better or goes away. My signal strenght seems fine (typically over 90). I haven't called Dish Network yet, but that will probably be my next step.

Is this a common problem with satellite tv? dish network? or could i have a bad system?

Any feedback is appreciated!

-Scott

I've noticed the same problem with my 811... I put it off as a problem with running my sound through my Sony receiver, but if others are having this problem it could be more.

I have had the same problem with my 811 on HD channels. Nothing like seeing a beautiful picture just for the words not to match up.

Mine used to do it without the 811. It was a CBS station out of Augusta, Ga. I emailed them and they fixed the problem. It wasnt overnight but it was fixed.

I have the same problem with a OTA CBS channel. I did seem like it was the broadcasters fault. I have told them multiple times but they don't seem to be able to do anything. From time to time other Dish locals will not match much up. I call twice throughout a 3 hour span. The second time they admitted it was their problem and got it fixed. I do have the 811 as well.

Justin

Sadly, you have uncovered one of broadcast tv's dirty little secrets.

Audio and video are not synced together in the broadcast chain.

There are various stages that a program will go through before it gets to you TV, many of which will delay video or audio. Usually it is the video that gets delayed the most. Most people don't notice it, but once you become aware of it, you can find it almost everywhere. And once you are aware of it, it is hard to ignore.

In most cases, my guess is that the problem is at the program source and not with the satellite company.

Yep, I seen it too. My HD channels, especially the OTA - HD signal is sometimes out of sync. Not all the time, but sometimes.

With the technology in it's infancy this is what we have to deal with (for now). You just have to get used it. Reminds me of when USA network had Kung-Fu thearte on Saturdays.

--shich

I don't have any HD and/or over the air channels. My problem is only with SD Dish Network programming. I've used cable and OTA previously and haven't had nearly as much of a problem with A/V sync as I do with my Dish Network system. Being new to satallite, I wasn't sure if this was an inherent problem with the technology or a unique problem that I am having. I'll probably give Dish Network a call the next time I notice it happening very badly again.

I have seen this intermittently since my first Dish receiver in 1997.

I think it is "one of those satellite things."

Going "channel down, pause for signal acquisition, channel up" has always fixed it.

skoerner said:
I don't have any HD and/or over the air channels. My problem is only with SD Dish Network programming. I've used cable and OTA previously and haven't had nearly as much of a problem with A/V sync as I do with my Dish Network system. Being new to satallite, I wasn't sure if this was an inherent problem with the technology or a unique problem that I am having. I'll probably give Dish Network a call the next time I notice it happening very badly again.

skoerner, I notice this problem on my TV itself. Sometimes on my Samsung DLP, even watching OTA analog (using an antenna) I have Audio sync problems. It is not always a problem, but sometimes. Do you have a new digital HDTV? Something with the processing in there screws up sometimes and can cause this intermitently.

Look up the Felston DD740. It allows delaying digital audio (even Dolby) in 1 or 1/3 ms increments by IR remote control which cn correct lip-sync if delayed video was the cause. Delayed video is normally the cause but if a broadcaster delays the audio it cannot be fixed since there is no product that will delay video.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Look up the Felston DD740. It allows delaying digital audio (even Dolby) in 1 or 1/3 ms increments by IR remote control which cn correct lip-sync if delayed video was the cause. Delayed video is normally the cause but if a broadcaster delays the audio it cannot be fixed since there is no product that will delay video.
I hope they found SOME solution in the last 20 years.

ETA: Even if this was a current a problem, adding a dedicated audio delay isn't going to work for an intermittent problem. Unless the user has some way to turn it on/off. Then you'd have to remember to turn it on/off when you go away from that channel.

I hope they found SOME solution in the last 20 years.
I believe we have a new winner! Congratulations Nick! Don't feel bad; we've all done this at one time or another. I find it amusing not just due to passage of time but because the same issue can keep cropping up for so long.

I think the problem is actually worse today than it was 20 years ago because we now have gigantic 4k and even 8K images getting delayed allowing the audio to arrive first. The product I mentioned can delay audio using a hand held remote in small increments (as small as 1/3 ms) while you are watching. It is a "fixed" delay only as long as you leave it alone. It even has presets so if you know a certain channel usually requires a certain delay you can immediately start there but I don't use them. I prefer to start with zero delay and increase it in larger steps like 10 ms until I get close and then use 1 ms until I pass perfect sync and then back up and toggle until it is perfect. Sometimes the audio is already delayed and it can not be fixed by any product unfortunately.

I think the problem is actually worse today than it was 20 years ago because we now have gigantic 4k and even 8K images getting delayed allowing the audio to arrive first. The product I mentioned can delay audio using a hand held remote in small increments (as small as 1/3 ms) while you are watching. It is a "fixed" delay only as long as you leave it alone. It even has presets so if you know a certain channel usually requires a certain delay you can immediately start there but I don't use them. I prefer to start with zero delay and increase it in larger steps like 10 ms until I get close and then use 1 ms until I pass perfect sync and then back up and toggle until it is perfect. Sometimes the audio is already delayed and it can not be fixed by any product unfortunately.
I find it easier to just find another show to watch if the lip sync is bad enough to bother me. Even if I had presets, "Oh, I'm watch channel 227, I need preset 1." I watch my show, turn everything off, then go to bed. The next day, the better half gets up, turns on the TV and goes to channel 180. "Hun, why is the lip sync off?" Oh, you need preset 2!