Audio but no video.

nodsirrah

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
This has been an ongoing intermittant problem, probably only once a month since the living room TV was installed in Dec. '08.

My 722DVR feeds a 40" Samsung LN40A500T1F in the Living Room and then a small Maganvox in the kitchen (via the Home Distribution System coax wiring). When I turn on the Samsung I get audio but no video. I used a good quality HDMI cable, then 2weeks ago I switched to component cables. Last night when I turned it on I got no video.

About 2 months ago a contract Samsung Technician replaced "the board". A couple weeks after that I got no video. I called the Technician and he said if it happened again to use the Samsung remote and press Menu, if the menu came up it was the fault of the Dish receiver. I did that on 3 separate ocassions and the menu came up, however, I still had to shut it off and turn it on to get video.

The kitchen TV feed by the Home Distribution System off the 722 always has video even when the Samsung does not.

I have hard rebooted both the TV and dish receiver many times.

Is it conceivable that the Dish HDMI and Component come from the same source inside the 722 and therefore if one fails to provide video the other will also?

I am at the extent of my patience and feel I have to have concrete information to get either Dish or Samsung to take responsibility.

Last edited:
Have you tried a hard reboot (pull the plug for a few minutes) on both the TV and the 722?

You are going to have a VERY hard time convincing either Dish or Samsung the problem is on their end.

For trouble shooting purposes...
Using the existing cables between your Dish Rx & your TV, connect your DVD player (you can go buy a cheap one for <$50 that has both componant and HDMI connections). Does the TV show you the picture from the DVD?

Have you tried different cables (another set of HDMI/Componant)?

Do you have multiple inputs on the Samsung?

Do you have another TV that has componant/HDMI inputs? Can you hook up that TV to the Dish Rx?