Audio Dropout Problem (722, 722K)

722K is the problem for me..
Audio dropouts via HDMI to my Onkyo receiver hooked to my projector.. But no such drop outs occur on my 32in LCD which is hooked up via component off the same receiver. Listening to both at the same time, the Onkyo drops audio often while the LCD never misses a word.. In my opinion the 722k is hosed when connected to Dolby Digital.

Mark,

Have you been reading above? It's not the 722k but known issues with certain receivers (ONKYO being the one most mentioned) having HDMI handshake issues. That's why your 32 LCD works and your projector will work just fine if you use the HDMI to send your Video to the projector but use the TOSLINK fiber connection to send the audio to the receiver.

People that have this exactly problem all report that when they bypass the Onkyo (or upgrade) receiver they problem goes away.

So why are you saying the 722k is hosed?

Mark,

Have you been reading above? It's not the 722k but known issues with certain receivers (ONKYO being the one most mentioned) having HDMI handshake issues. That's why your 32 LCD works and your projector will work just fine if you use the HDMI to send your Video to the projector but use the TOSLINK fiber connection to send the audio to the receiver.

People that have this exactly problem all report that when they bypass the Onkyo (or upgrade) receiver they problem goes away.

So why are you saying the 722k is hosed?

I take offense at this somehow.. I have 3 DVR's that work correctly with my Onkyo.. I have a 722K which does not. And yet you blame my Onkyo instead of the 722K. That's taking Fan Boy to a new level.
The problem IS the 722K. And it has an issue that is probably software related. And by bringing it up, I am hoping that someone in the right place sees it and actually looks into it instead of dissing the AV equipment.

I take offense at this somehow.. I have 3 DVR's that work correctly with my Onkyo.. I have a 722K which does not. And yet you blame my Onkyo instead of the 722K. That's taking Fan Boy to a new level.
The problem IS the 722K. And it has an issue that is probably software related. And by bringing it up, I am hoping that someone in the right place sees it and actually looks into it instead of dissing the AV equipment.

Mark,

I'm sorry, I was not dissing the Onkyo. As I said others were having the same problem with other receivers as well. But this is the first time I've heard that bypassing the HDMI sound and using a fibre cable for the audio did not solve the dropouts.

Do you have any other TV that you can connect the HDMI to and see if the dropout exists on that equipment or TV? Also, is your receiver set for reverse priority. On my Sony, it will pick the highest level sound it can find in the order of HDMI->Fibre->Coaxial->RCA. If a Fibre connection exists it will use that over the RCA connector for the same input unless you override that input to explicitly tell it to which audio source to use.

Sorry you took offense, I wrote my previous post quickly between meetings. A lots of times things don't come over the way intended in writing. I looked back and can see how you could have taken it. I apologize.

We are all here to help each other.

Didn't mean to go off on you either.. I am a retailer, technician and have been for over 20 years. My experience is pretty hefty. And you can bet that I have taken every possibility into consideration here.. I have tried every thing that I can to get around this problem. And everything keeps coming back to the 722K. Not to say I don't just have a bad 722K. If no one else is having this issue then I may need to swap out my receiver..

The problem is this 722K. As I said in the earlier post, I have multiple DVR's hooked up to the same Onkyo receivers. All play with no audio dropouts. I swapped the HDMI input with my 622 on the Onkyo receiver and the problem followed the 722K to the new input, while the 622 in the spot where the 722K was played just fine.. I did hook up the Optical cable to the 722K and the audio problems still existed on this. So at this point I am left with one culprit.. The 722K.
My reason for all this is to see if anyone else has had this problem. If I am the only one then I will be changing the 722K out..

I'm not familiar with Onkyo but when you plugged in the fibre cable did you set the receiver to use that over the HDMI? On mine, if I have HDMI and fibre it will use the HDMI audio over the fibre unless I tell it use give the toslink audio priority. I can see the audio input icon on the receiver change to the optical input.

Yes, I reset it to use the optical. I actually left the optical and HDMI hooked up and can switch back and forth in the Setup.. Problem is the same on both.

In that case, you may have a bum 722k. If you look above almost everyone solved it by changing to optical (not a final solution but enough to wait for a fix from E*) or changing receivers. If you are still getting it on the optical out then I'd push for a replacement.

The problem is this 722K. As I said in the earlier post, I have multiple DVR's hooked up to the same Onkyo receivers. All play with no audio dropouts. I swapped the HDMI input with my 622 on the Onkyo receiver and the problem followed the 722K to the new input, while the 622 in the spot where the 722K was played just fine.. I did hook up the Optical cable to the 722K and the audio problems still existed on this. So at this point I am left with one culprit.. The 722K.
My reason for all this is to see if anyone else has had this problem. If I am the only one then I will be changing the 722K out..

Skyviewmark, I am having the same issue. Mine is hooked up to a Rotel 1066 processor via optical cable.

Just upgraded to a 722K. HDMI connection (audio/video) between 722K and Sony KDL52V5100 LCD TV. Experiencing audio dropouts - pausing or skip back fixes it for that dropout and does not re-occur in the same spot. Audio dropout starts slowly, gets worse, audio goes away, then recovers, all over about 10 secs. Does not appear to be OTA/Satellite/specific-channel dependent. Optical out to Sony audio receiver works fine while experiencing the HDMI audio dropout. Tried different HDMI inputs and cables, no change. Currently using Component with audio and that appears to be working well. Except, when I hooked up component, I had audio delay and audio pops on a known good component input. Ended up hooking up the audio from TV2 output and the delay went away (how strange is that?). 722K is in single mode. Any opinions?

Just upgraded to a 722K. HDMI connection (audio/video) between 722K and Sony KDL52V5100 LCD TV. Experiencing audio dropouts - pausing or skip back fixes it for that dropout and does not re-occur in the same spot. Audio dropout starts slowly, gets worse, audio goes away, then recovers, all over about 10 secs. Does not appear to be OTA/Satellite/specific-channel dependent. Optical out to Sony audio receiver works fine while experiencing the HDMI audio dropout. Tried different HDMI inputs and cables, no change. Currently using Component with audio and that appears to be working well. Except, when I hooked up component, I had audio delay and audio pops on a known good component input. Ended up hooking up the audio from TV2 output and the delay went away (how strange is that?). 722K is in single mode. Any opinions?

722k (upgrade from 522 two weeks ago) w/ Sony KDL-32L5000 via HDMI
722k Software: L655

Current problem correction: If I unplug the HDMI from the back of the receiver, the audio comes back immediately. If I change channels more than one channel, it comes back.

Having the same audio dropouts. But check this out: While the audio is out, if I play a previously recorded show, the audio is fine. When I stop that show and go back to live TV, the audio is still gone. During this same audio dropout session, I DVRed a 10 sec clip and played it back. No audio. Previously recorded shows all had audio, but not the 10 sec clip recorded during the outage. Then, I go up two channels on the receiver...the audio comes back...and the audio in the 10 sec clip now plays! I'll be calling DishNetwork in a few minutes. I'll let you know what they say.

722k (upgraded from 522 two weeks ago) w/ Sony KDL-32L5000 via HDMI
722k Software: L655

Current problem correction: If I unplug the HDMI from the back of the receiver, the audio comes back immediately. If I change channels more than one channel, it comes back.

Having the same audio dropouts. But check this out: While the audio is out, if I play a previously recorded show, the audio is fine. When I stop that show and go back to live TV, the audio is still gone. During this same audio dropout session, I DVRed a 10 sec clip and played it back. No audio. Previously recorded shows all had audio, but not the 10 sec clip recorded during the outage. Then, I go up two channels on the receiver...the audio comes back...and the audio in the 10 sec clip now plays! I'll be calling DishNetwork in a few minutes. I'll let you know what they say.

Hi all,

I became a member because i've been not happy with my 722 receiver. It constantly looses audio synch and sometimes even "freezes". The worst however is the audio lag/synch problems. I have them on a variety of channels not just a few. My reciever is an older Sony. I was upgraded from the 622 to this receiver and sometimes wish i never was.....i never had problems with the 622.

I've tried numerous soft and hard reboots. My other receivers in the house work fine.

I do NOT have the 722K model, just the 722.

-Glade

fyi folks, I have two 722k's, and both have this audio dropout issue. I am using HDMI on both, L655 sofwtare. a front panel reset makes the problem go away for several days in my case.

I just got off a live chat with tech. support. they tell me a software upgrade will be cut and distributed in 2 weeks, in part, to resolve this known issue with the 722k

hopefully, they knew what they were talking about

a minor issue with an otherwise fantastic DVR !

I have the same problem. For some channels there is no audio at all, for some channels I could hear back ground music on and off but no human conversations. Of course that guy said its your A/V receiver problem not the STB. Here is what I have.
Pioneer elite VSX 74TXvi
Samsung LN52B750

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have been having audio dropout issues and am now on my fourth receiver. I have also had the picture freeze. I've spoken with tech support many times and they tell me a fix is coming, but they told me that over a year ago. I had a tech here and he told me my signal strength was great.
Does anyone know if this is just a Dish Network issue? If Direct TV does not have this problem, I will be switching when my contract comes up later this year.

BC

Sony KDL 46Z4100
Dish 722K Software L655

I have been having audio dropout issues and am now on my fourth receiver. I have also had the picture freeze. I've spoken with tech support many times and they tell me a fix is coming, but they told me that over a year ago. I had a tech here and he told me my signal strength was great.
Does anyone know if this is just a Dish Network issue? If Direct TV does not have this problem, I will be switching when my contract comes up later this year.

BC

Sony KDL 46Z4100
Dish 722K Software L655

If you think your Dish Receiver has problems, then can't wait to hear what you think of a new DirecTV Receiver if you switch. If we decide to give satellite TV an enema, DirecTV HR Receivers are where we stick the hose. And I am a DirecTV Dealer as well as a Dish Retailer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)