Audio dropouts chan 72-79

Status
Please reply by conversation.

axg9504

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2006
I have been experiencing audio dropouts and pixelation on HD channels 72-79 which started around July 20. I have a year old MITS 65" DLP connected through HDMI. In some time periods all channels will be generally free with only occasional breakups. At other times, select channels will be really unwatchable (5 second cycle). There is always at least one channel that is OK. Now here's the freaky thing: I can clear up the problem on a selected channel by going to the signal strength test on the menu (the breakup then shifts to another one).

I have the HR20-700 (since Jan 07). I think there is a DTV receiver or transmission problem that is not being addressed or revealed. Comments or info anyone? thanks.

(A new receiver has been ordered after the tech came by, changed the LNB, and did a complete refresh including wiping out the HDD).

Not a signal strength problem - all in the high 90's - all sats. And no I don't think its the HDMI, no problem with locals. Also I can clear the problem from the channel I'm watching by checking signal strength!!!!!!!. I'm getting a replacement DVR, I hope that will fix it, but I'm wondering if there is a periodic problem with DTV's signal on these channels. Is anyone else here having this problem?

Not a signal strength problem - all in the high 90's - all sats. And no I don't think its the HDMI, no problem with locals. Also I can clear the problem from the channel I'm watching by checking signal strength!!!!!!!. I'm getting a replacement DVR, I hope that will fix it, but I'm wondering if there is a periodic problem with DTV's signal on these channels. Is anyone else here having this problem?

YES ....

I did have this type of problem earlier (audio and pixalation issues) IF I did a reboot , it would fix it, UNTIL , I changed the channel and then it would happen again. as axg's it was only with the D* delivered HD channels, OTA was fine.
axg, I was going to mention that IF your using OTA for your HD Locals, like I am, I did not have a problem with, but it still could have been the HDMI cable, IF your doing the OTA it goes thru a different type of process in the D* box, that would be why it doesn't happen with theOTA locals.

However, the HDMI cable IS NOT your problem.
Since I got my new -700 I have NOT had a audio or pixalation problem since ... I'm really happy since I got that taken care of. :)

Jimbo

i'm having the same problem with some of my hd channels. the idiots at direct tv said i need to pay to have a technicia come out. we have a new receiver and will try that option. will keep you posted.

I also am having a problem with intermittent audio dropout. It only happens on sat hd channels. ota hd is ok. I have a h20-600/My audio connection is fiber due to the fact that my audio rec does not have hdmi capability. Just kinda been living with it.

i'm having the same problem with some of my hd channels. the idiots at direct tv said i need to pay to have a technicia come out. we have a new receiver and will try that option. will keep you posted.

Thay want to have a D* tech come out to verify the problem, I had the same situation and a tech came out, but I could not duplicate the problem at the time. He said to let D* know that he was there and theunit was bad if it started to act up again.
I called D* and told them and the tech had nothing on the ticket about it.
After talking to someone at D* that knew what was going on , he agreed that I knew what I was talking about and shipped me another one Fed Ex.

Jimbo

Argh, I just wrote a long post and lost it due to a login issue! Anyhow, here it goes again.

I have an HR20 (not sure if it's a -500 or -700 offhand), and we have been experiencing periodic audio dropouts that last 5-10 seconds at a time on all HD channels since hooking it up in March. It is extremely annoying and makes some programs unwatchable. I finally boiled over last night and called the D*. I told them about the issue and asked if this was a common problem with this device. They pretended to check some database of open issues, then flat out said "No, there are no audio problems with that receiver." They then tried to blame the problem on my fiber optic digital audio cable (sure, the cable is causing recorded content to drop audio at the same point over and and over again :rolleyes:), and their next brilliant idea was signal dropouts, despite readings in the 90s. Finally, they mentioned that they could send us a replacement receiver, but at a cost of $20 for handling and delivery. They also went on to say that they could not guarantee that the replacement would be a -500 or a -700.

So I have a couple of questions:
1) Those of you who have received a replacement HR20: Did you end up paying the $20, or is there a way to get this dropped if you raise a fuss?

2) What are the differences between the -500 and -700? Is it just hard drive capacity, or are there other differences that separate them.

Any other suggestions you could give me would be much appreciated. And Jimbo, I feel right at home in this thread thanks to your Buckeye flag flying proudly. I can't wait for the Big 10 Network's HD broadcasts of the Buckeye games (assuming I get audio...). I just hope D* is true to their word and broadcasts all the game feeds simultaneously when there are scheduling conflicts (I live in Michigan, and scUM plays at the same time as the Buckeyes on Sept. 1, so I'm worried about this).

Argh, I just wrote a long post and lost it due to a login issue! Anyhow, here it goes again.

I have an HR20 (not sure if it's a -500 or -700 offhand), and we have been experiencing periodic audio dropouts that last 5-10 seconds at a time on all
So I have a couple of questions:
1) Those of you who have received a replacement HR20: Did you end up paying the $20, or is there a way to get this dropped if you raise a fuss?

2) What are the differences between the -500 and -700? Is it just hard drive capacity, or are there other differences that separate them.

Any other suggestions you could give me would be much appreciated. And Jimbo, I feel right at home in this thread thanks to your Buckeye flag flying proudly. I can't wait for the Big 10 Network's HD broadcasts of the Buckeye games (assuming I get audio...). I just hope D* is true to their word and broadcasts all the game feeds simultaneously when there are scheduling conflicts (I live in Michigan, and scUM plays at the same time as the Buckeyes on Sept. 1, so I'm worried about this).

HD channels since hooking it up in March. It is extremely annoying and makes some programs unwatchable. I finally boiled over last night and called the D*. I told them about the issue and asked if this was a common problem with this device. They pretended to check some database of open issues, then flat out said "No, there are no audio problems with that receiver." They then tried to blame the problem on my fiber optic digital audio cable (sure, the cable is causing recorded content to drop audio at the same point over and and over again :rolleyes:), and their next brilliant idea was signal dropouts, despite readings in the 90s. Finally, they mentioned that they could send us a replacement receiver, but at a cost of $20 for handling and delivery. They also went on to say that they could not guarantee that the replacement would be a -500 or a -700.

Ok Killer,
First off the HR20's are -700 and -100 (FYI)
The -700 were the first ones to come out, the -700 is made by a company called PACE, they make alot of different rec's for different companies.
The -100 is made by RCA/ ( Thompson I presume).
Main difference that I can think of off the top of my head is :
300gb HD -700
320 GB HD -100
One has internal RF antenna (-700) the other doesn't.
Basically they work the same way.
As for the $ 20 thats standard shipping and handling, it's that way for Access Cards too.

Jimbo

Ok Killer,
First off the HR20's are -700 and -100 (FYI)
The -700 were the first ones to come out, the -700 is made by a company called PACE, they make alot of different rec's for different companies.
The -100 is made by RCA/ ( Thompson I presume).
Main difference that I can think of off the top of my head is :
300gb HD -700
320 GB HD -100
One has internal RF antenna (-700) the other doesn't.
Basically they work the same way.
As for the $ 20 thats standard shipping and handling, it's that way for Access Cards too.

Jimbo

Thanks Jimbo, sorry for the confusion regarding the -700/-500 thing. Ok, I'm pretty sure I have a -700, because I remember my tech telling me that it was manufactured by some foreign company and that quality was hit or miss (not sure if that's true or not, I just remember that comment). So the RF antenna is for use with an RF remote, right? Does the remote that comes with the receiver have RF capability, because I'm pretty sure it's operating in IR mode now (it gets blocked easily by objects on our coffee table)?

Regarding the $20, I just feel like it's crap that I've paid $300 for the right to lease this piece of equipment, and when it doesn't function as promised I'm expected to pay for delivery of a new one. If I were confident that a replacement HR20 would fix this audio problem, I would gladly pay the $20, but from everything I've gathered by searching various forums, it seems there have been people who have gone through 2 or 3 receivers with no improvement.

Thanks Jimbo, sorry for the confusion regarding the -700/-500 thing. Ok, I'm pretty sure I have a -700, because I remember my tech telling me that it was manufactured by some foreign company and that quality was hit or miss (not sure if that's true or not, I just remember that comment). So the RF antenna is for use with an RF remote, right? Does the remote that comes with the receiver have RF capability, because I'm pretty sure it's operating in IR mode now (it gets blocked easily by objects on our coffee table)?

Regarding the $20, I just feel like it's crap that I've paid $300 for the right to lease this piece of equipment, and when it doesn't function as promised I'm expected to pay for delivery of a new one. If I were confident that a replacement HR20 would fix this audio problem, I would gladly pay the $20, but from everything I've gathered by searching various forums, it seems there have been people who have gone through 2 or 3 receivers with no improvement.

Don't worry ,
I had the same problem as you awhile back and my replacement has worked flawlessly.
If you want to check your model number, it's on the inside of the access door also in the System info menu.
Go to set up, info and test, at that spot, press the orange select button.

Your software and unit temp are also in this sub menu., as well as rec. ID and AC id.

I don't consider the quality Hit or Miss, I've had one since last September.
I now have 2, one of each flavor.

So the RF antenna is for use with an RF remote, right?
Yes, if your remote is a RC 24 or higher I think it has RF capability.
Some have said IF you have a "FCC sticker" on the back, it's RF capable.
Go into the Settings under Remote and follow the screen to set up your RF ability.

Jimbo

Is anyone else here having this problem?

YES. I've had it for about 3 months. Only now it's starting to affect SD some SD channels as well (although that could be weather related, as it happens very rarely).

Had a tech out and he couldn't find a problem (he raised my signal strengths from 95 to 98/100 which I wouldn't think would make ANY difference). He said it couldn't be the multi-switch, because of no signal loss at receiver.

He ended up blaming it on my neighbor accross the street. He has what looks like a HAM or CB radio antenna on his roof. The tech said his supervisor told him that could affect my signal. I don't believe it, because that antenna has been there since I moved in a year ago, and the problem only started recently, and it happens at all hours of the day (12pm, 4pm, 8pm, 12am) - how much can 1 person talk on a radio?!?!

So, what are the chances of getting them to replace the multi-switch. I'd like to try that before replacing the receiver, as I have many hours of recordings to watch before I could get rid of it!!

YES. I've had it for about 3 months. Only now it's starting to affect SD some SD channels as well (although that could be weather related, as it happens very rarely).

Had a tech out and he couldn't find a problem (he raised my signal strengths from 95 to 98/100 which I wouldn't think would make ANY difference). He said it couldn't be the multi-switch, because of no signal loss at receiver.

He ended up blaming it on my neighbor accross the street. He has what looks like a HAM or CB radio antenna on his roof. The tech said his supervisor told him that could affect my signal. I don't believe it, because that antenna has been there since I moved in a year ago, and the problem only started recently, and it happens at all hours of the day (12pm, 4pm, 8pm, 12am) - how much can 1 person talk on a radio?!?!

So, what are the chances of getting them to replace the multi-switch. I'd like to try that before replacing the receiver, as I have many hours of recordings to watch before I could get rid of it!!

You can have them replace the MS but thats not going to fix your problem, I still think you need a new rec., I too gave up programming I had not had a chance to watch, but once I got my new replacement, it's worked perfectly since.

btw, it's not your neighbors Ham set up either, they use different frequencies.

Jimbo

Same issues...possibly TV?

Hey guys! I am having this same issue having audio drop out on HD channels and now the Showtime that they set up when I upgraded. What makes me wonder is when I mute the TV and play audio through reciever via optical, there is no sound loss. Other SD channels don't have this issue, and I have only ever noticed it before when the picture was also going in and out.

So, if the sound is fine through the optical, could it be the set? All of my equipment is rather new, so I am not worried about warranty and returns. Thanks!

Hey. I've made a little progress. I've determined that there is an issue with Dolby Digital and the connection to my TV. On the HD channels there is no other audio other than DD, but on the Showtime there were two audio tracks, and when switch to regular the problem ceased. I have the DD option set to "off" so as not to encounter this problem on other SD channels, and will continue to mess with it. Hope this gives insight to other's in the same boat!

Hey. I've made a little progress. I've determined that there is an issue with Dolby Digital and the connection to my TV. On the HD channels there is no other audio other than DD, but on the Showtime there were two audio tracks, and when switch to regular the problem ceased. I have the DD option set to "off" so as not to encounter this problem on other SD channels, and will continue to mess with it. Hope this gives insight to other's in the same boat!

So your sounds like a Dolby Digital issue, I forgot to inquire with these others as to if they are experiencing this thru the TV or an A / V center.
For those that are experiencing it thru you TV and rec only (without going thru a receiver) I feel your it's still the D* receiver, if thru the Audio Video center, there are more possibilities to look into to track it down.

Jimbo

I have also been considering the possibility that this could be an audio receiver-related problem, but one observation seems to suggest otherwise. My wife informed me that the audio dropouts also occur on SD channels. Unless I'm misunderstanding something, there is no Dobly Digital feed on SD channels, right? So doesn't that indicate that is unlikely that my audio receiver is mishandling the audio signal? What is confusing me is that even on SD channels, I am using the digital input on my audio receiver, so the audio is going to the digital domain and back to analog. I'm not sure what's involved at the audio receiver end to decode the signal. One thing I've been meaning to try is to switch the receiver input to analog (RCA) input and see if the dropouts still occur. However, if this eliminates the dropouts, it still doesn't prove that the audio receiver is the culprit, because the digital audio could still be getting screwed up at the source (HR20).

One very strange thing that happened last night while watching the recorded NFL Preseason game (Giants @ Ravens), and this has happened a few times in the past with Dobly Digital programming, was that the commentary from Al Michaels and John Madden was completely missing for almost the entire first quarter! We could hear the music whenever they flashed up the starting lineups on the screen, and we could hear the crowd noise and the players yelling, but no commentary! Finally, late in the first quarter the commentary kicked in right in the middle of a play, and I noticed right at that instant my audio receiver switched modes from Dolby Digital to non-digital. I played the sequence again, and the same thing happened. I have no clue what's going on. Was this a broadcasting issue and they finally realized the problem at the station and decided to kill the DD feed? Or could it be that my receiver was having trouble with the DD audio and finally decided to give up and use analog audio? I don't know enough about this to make a judgment, which is why I'm hoping some of you can help me to understand! This is very frustrating.

So your sounds like a Dolby Digital issue, I forgot to inquire with these others as to if they are experiencing this thru the TV or an A / V center.
For those that are experiencing it thru you TV and rec only (without going thru a receiver) I feel your it's still the D* receiver, if thru the Audio Video center, there are more possibilities to look into to track it down.

Jimbo

I turned off the DD option in the setup menu and turned on my stereo to check the situation. The feed from the HR20 is now PCM, but the sound still cuts in and out, through the optical line. SO, I turned DD back on, and the sound fixed itself, through the stereo. Sound through TV is still jacked.

Situation: with DD on the stereo works, just have to mute TV to get around annoying breakup. SD channels with multiple audio go to DD first, which breaks up. With DD off, HD channels still fuzz up, but SD with multiple audio are fine, they just tune to the analog feed.

I'll call service and see what they say.

I have the drop outs on all HD channels 72-88
Like some have said.............unwatchable
but my local HD thru D* has no dropouts
My signal strength is in the 90's
and it's not a daily thing.....go figure
guess I'll wait and see what happens when the new channels are added

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts