Signal problems

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tcbarnard70

Original poster
Oct 13, 2007
Two weeks ago, my DirecTV service stopped working altogether. I have a 7 year old Hughes dish, with a dual LNB running to a multiswitch which feeds 3 receivers. A tech came out last Sunday and fixed the problem by: 1) removing the in-line amplifiers I had installed (it is a long run from the dish to the multi-switch, and several years ago after I was having signal problems, a tech told me I'd need to install these; the tech last Sunday was getting too strong a signal); and 2) replacing the LNB, which was giving inconsistent readings on her Birddog.

Since Sunday, most of the time the signals are fine. However, quite often, the odd numbered transponders show 0, while the even transponders are in the 80s and 90s. Last night, the signal on TP 1 would go back and forth from 92 to 0 every few seconds. I'd get picture, then it would freeze, pixelate, and then I'd get the "searching for satellite signal" message, then the picture would come back. The weather has not been a factor, nor is the dish obstructed. It just seems it's fine sometimes and other times, I have no signals on the odd numbered TPs. Any suggestions??

Thanks,

Terry

Two weeks ago, my DirecTV service stopped working altogether. I have a 7 year old Hughes dish, with a dual LNB running to a multiswitch which feeds 3 receivers. A tech came out last Sunday and fixed the problem by: 1) removing the in-line amplifiers I had installed (it is a long run from the dish to the multi-switch, and several years ago after I was having signal problems, a tech told me I'd need to install these; the tech last Sunday was getting too strong a signal); and 2) replacing the LNB, which was giving inconsistent readings on her Birddog.

Since Sunday, most of the time the signals are fine. However, quite often, the odd numbered transponders show 0, while the even transponders are in the 80s and 90s. Last night, the signal on TP 1 would go back and forth from 92 to 0 every few seconds. I'd get picture, then it would freeze, pixelate, and then I'd get the "searching for satellite signal" message, then the picture would come back. The weather has not been a factor, nor is the dish obstructed. It just seems it's fine sometimes and other times, I have no signals on the odd numbered TPs. Any suggestions??

Thanks,

Terry

Try bypassing the multiswitch and see if that helps.

Is the problem on all receivers? If not you could also try swapping them around to see if the problem follows.

Solution

The problem was happening on all three receivers. A friend of mine who is a tech for DirecTV gave me a new multiswitch to try, and that seems to have solved the problem.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)