Audio dropouts from 622 DVR SPDIF.

Julien

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 1, 2006
Atlanta
Just got my 622 today and having audio problems. I use optical SPDIF and have no problems when watching "live". Using the DVR the audio will drop out about every 15 seconds to 2 minutes for about 5 seconds. It is not a recorded dropout because I can replay and the audio will play fine for that spot. During the dropouts the 622 continues to send a (blank) DD signal but with no sound. It looks like I'm not getting off to a good start with E*. What are my options?

I use optical SPDIF with my 622 to Bose system and have not had that problem. I am experiencing the rear channels only problem that is currently in work at E*.

Both of my 622s do that with both of my Onkyo receivers. It does not happen on "Dolby D" or "PLII Movie" mode...only on regular two channel audio. If I turn my Onkyo receiver off and then back on again, it clears it up.

Is that a constant problem on all channels, or does it come and go? You could try resetting the 622. First, push and hold the power for a few seconds until the unit reboots. If the problem persists, try unplugging the 622, then plugging back in.
It seems like a lot of DVRs have audio related problems of varying severity. Almost always, it comes down to software issues, and often a reset takes care of things.

Good luck!

Is that a constant problem on all channels, or does it come and go? You could try resetting the 622. First, push and hold the power for a few seconds until the unit reboots. If the problem persists, try unplugging the 622, then plugging back in.
It seems like a lot of DVRs have audio related problems of varying severity. Almost always, it comes down to software issues, and often a reset takes care of things.

Good luck!
At first it seemed it was only on DVR (I was mostly watching DVR) but it happens on live also. I only tried HD/DD channels (all I care about) so not sure about LPCM. I unplugged the unit for over 2 hours and the problem reoccurred immediately. It never plays more that a couple of minutes without a dropout.

Called customer service and when I finely got to tech support was asked what my problem was. I said "audio dropouts" and confused the support agent. Was to be transferred but got cut off. Re-called and got a deferent person but got the same "what does audio dropout mean" response. Said E* will send me out a new receiver 2ed day air. So I'm off to a poor start and it looks like it will be at least Tuesday before I get to veiw Dish.

At least my MI HD-DVD set came in the mail yesterday so I was able to watch MI3 last night.

Last edited:
Discovered that the SPDIF audio dropouts are related to the HDMI output. I have the HDMI connected to a iScan VP50 scaler and when I select the 622 to display I get SPDIF audio dropouts. As long as the 622's HDMI is not selected I don't get dropouts through SPDIF. Will next try the component outputs and see if I get the dropouts. I hope there is not a problem that is inherent in the 622 about using HDMI video with SPDIF audio. How many others use this combo without problems?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)