Audio output settings

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cygnusx1

Original poster
Sep 24, 2011
Charlotte
New to Directv, and I have a question on the receiver's audio settings. It appears that if I enable Dolby in the audio portion of the setup menu, that I have to leave my a/v receiver in "auto", to pass through the decoding. Or, I can turn-off Dolby, let the Directv receiver pass through pcm, and then force the a/v receiver to decode using Dolby IIx. Forgive me if some of my terminology is incorrect, but any thoughts on Dolby on or off?

New to Directv, and I have a question on the receiver's audio settings. It appears that if I enable Dolby in the audio portion of the setup menu, that I have to leave my a/v receiver in "auto", to pass through the decoding. Or, I can turn-off Dolby, let the Directv receiver pass through pcm, and then force the a/v receiver to decode using Dolby IIx. Forgive me if some of my terminology is incorrect, but any thoughts on Dolby on or off?

Dolby Digital 5.1 is output "when available" (meaning if a particular program is offered in DD). I have DD set to on, and my stereo receiver auto-detects whether it is a DD5.1, ProLogic II, or stereo stream and changes modes accordingly. AFAIK nothing (including 1080p PPV) is broadcast with 7.1 audio, so if you force your receiver to ProLogic IIx, 7.1 would be 'faked' by the receiver, it wouldn't be giving you true 7.1.

"Auto" on your a/v receiver doesn't 'pass' the decoding through. It is still doing the decoding, it just allows the receiver to automatically change modes based on the digital stream it is receiving.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)