Audio skips on recorded HD locals when playing from 622 DVR

The only place I am having problems with audio drop outs and audio reverbs are on my hd locals from Houston. Mostly on Channel 11 CBS and Channel 13 ABC. It sounds like a video game at times when you try to listen & watch a program.

For example : "I know one of you in this room is the murderer. And that person is........."

BUUUUZZZZZAAAAHHHHHHZZZZZAAAAPPP! right when you are coming to a key point in a scene.

I have suffered through this since May of 2005 when the hd locals were first turned on . This problem also existed on my real locals for my area when I "moved" back home to Beaumont/Pt.Arthur,Tx to see how they looked. So I am begining to think that the encoders that DISH uses for their hd locals are older first generation encoders. Because the national hd channels I watch barely ever have any problems with sound drop outs or audio reverbs.

I read before ,that each year DISH will buy and use newer generation encoders for their national hd channels. It makes sense that as they replace the national encoders that the hand me downs get reused as local station enconders. Add to that any problems at the local stations themselves and you end up with what we have today; audio drop outs and audio reverbs.

As stated before, we have the problem only on recorded (or paused) shows off our local ABC channel (WTVD 11 in Raleigh). I have exchanged numerous emails with DISH Tech Sppt, and they have consistently said they are aware of the problem and are working on a resolution...and that they have no estimated time for the fix. This has been going on now for two months, and my wife is about ready to rip the 622 out and through it in the trash.

Last week, I checked to see if there was an update. They said they had concluded that I have a hardware issue and that they are sending me a new receiver.

I am no engineer, but I hardly believe this is a hardware issue. If it were, we'd be seeing this issue across all channels (or at least those being broadcast with similar specs).

So, the new DVR hasn't arrived yet, but when it does, I have the inconvenience of installing it, and shipping the old one back, as well as losing all my recorded shows. And I promise, if this doesn't fix the issue (and I am guessing it won't based on others' experiences posted on here), I will be making my plans for a Directv switch-back in Feb when my 2 years are up.

And since it's software related, Dish is wasting our time and energy by not rolling back the software until they can fix it.

i have the same problem as pakbakr, and i'm in the same geographic area as he, except i have problems with both ABC and FOX.

forgive me for having to ask this, but will this new L615 update install automatically or do i need to do something?

Yes, it may take a few days for everyone to get it.

Is there anyway to force the software update? Dish has sent me a replacement 622, and I have 10 days to install it or they will charge my account for the full value...whatever that is. But I would prefer testing the software update option first, so that I don't lose all my recorded shows and movies.

I called up DN 800-333-3474 and talked to tech support. They told me L614 is outdated, so they're downloading L615 to my receiver. You figure it should of updated automatically. I'll record Jeopardy tonight and see how it works.

I called up DN 800-333-3474 and talked to tech support. They told me L614 is outdated, so they're downloading L615 to my receiver. You figure it should of updated automatically. I'll record Jeopardy tonight and see how it works.

They told me there was no way to target the download of L615 to a particular box...said it had to download when released to all customers in an approved geo area. Interesting!

It sounds like Dish Network finally got it together enough to address this issue. Hooray, they win a cookie! Oh wait, I canceled their ever worsening service back in October... nevermind.

In all seriousness, to all those that had this problem, I know how annoying it was and I really hope its finally fixed for you!

(It's three months too late but at least they tried.)

That seems to have fixed the audio problem, but now I've lost all my HD. Everything's in standard definition! What the huh? The tech says I need a new receiver (the 4th one now). Makes me wonder if it's the new software update that's causing this.

Last edited:
Did you check your output settings? I've seen people complain before of their output settings getting wiped by software updates, although it's never happened to me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts