Audit Department HELL!

How many people that are account packing are going to "come back to the store" and pay for it?

How many honest customers are you going to treat like dirt because some might be stealing service? It is the same thing as Sony and their stupid DVD copy protection that keeps messing with my DVD player. I know people who copy DVDs. They can make copies of DVDs with updated Sony protection before I (Mr. Honest) can play the stupid things on my DVD player. Sony should be able to stop people from copying, but they should do it in a way that does not burden honest customers. Dish should be able to catch thieves, but the should do it in a way that does not burden honest customers.

If we want to compare theft detection to another large cash flow business, let's compare the audit department to the greeter at Wal-Mart. If the RF detectors at the exit go off at Wal-Mart, the immediate assumption is that the clerk forgot to wipe the RF tag clean. The greeter will look at you buggy and your receipt. They may or may not wipe the buggy with a hand wand to find the item, and then they will mark it in a book and apologize for the inconvenience. One time I walked through and the buzzer went off. The greeter could not find anything on my receipt that would set it off. I went to the car and found a tape measure that had fallen underneath some bags as I was putting items on the checkout belt and bags in my buggy.(I had a 2 or 3 month old baby at the time) I went back to the greeter and described what had happened and went in to pay for the tape measure(about $3). Even though I was taking something out of the store that I had not paid for, they treated me professionally and with respect.

If the Dish Audit Department treated people that way, there would not be many complaints.

Well I can tell you that on the holidays ( big ones ) that you can pretty much walk into a Walmart and walk out with a tv under your arm if you want to. I went to the one up the road on new years and was about knocked over by an employee who came out after someone that had left with a dvd player, security never showed up because they never came in that day.

How many honest customers are you going to treat like dirt because some might be stealing service? It is the same thing as Sony and their stupid DVD copy protection that keeps messing with my DVD player. I know people who copy DVDs. They can make copies of DVDs with updated Sony protection before I (Mr. Honest) can play the stupid things on my DVD player. Sony should be able to stop people from copying, but they should do it in a way that does not burden honest customers. Dish should be able to catch thieves, but the should do it in a way that does not burden honest customers.

The problem with Sony DVD copy protection is they don't use the type approved by the DVD Consortium (or whatever it is). Sony uses it's on proprietary copy protection that wreaks havoc with some DVD players. It's like everything else Sony does - have to do it their way instead of using the industry standard.

They first told me a utility bill for either phone, electric or gas and I told them I did not have it because it was included as part of my rent.

I offered them a cell phone bill and even a credit card statement but that was not good enough for them and thats why they requested my rental agreement.

I know their rules and I passed their stupid audit with flying colors, and then after everything looked good from my part they hit me with the requirement for the utility bill.

But here is why I got into a pissing match with them...

#1 They never called me first, my cell phone is listed as the primary number on the account which I have on me 24 hours per day. They should have had the common courtesty to call me, and give me atleast 24 hours to call them back to go through the audit before they start shutting my stuff down.

#2 I passed their audit with flying colors, and then they make up another reason to keep me shut down by asking for the utility bill or rental agreement. If the utility bill or rental agreement is what they wanted, why didn't they be upfront about it and ask for it first. They could not shut me down because I passed the audit, so they change the rules and start making up stuff as they go!

#3 Ok fine, they want a rental agreement. Turn my stuff back on and give me a few days to provide the required documentation. The stupid bitch supervisor I talked to was insistent that I had to fax the documentation first before she would work with me. All I asked for was to turn my stuff back on and give me a 3 day grace period to fax in the required documentation but that was not good enough for her.

#4 When I raised my voice to her the supervisor shut my service off without my concent, eventhough I was under an 18 month contract with them.

I actually emailed the CEO's office Saturday afternoon before all of this went down, so maybe they will get back with me on Monday.

But im just sick of it, its been 5 days of me dealing with these people. LEAVE ME ALONE!

BTW, the reason why they wanted the rental agreement is because they thought I was using the service at a commercial location.

Good news is that my girlfriend is going to finish moving to Detroit next week, and im going to be moving in with her and transfering the service to her address. It will have a phone line connection on both receivers and I'll also have another rental agreement and utility bill to back it up :)

What i cant get is why you, of all people a dish dealer would they be bending over like that.

It seems to me that Dish would be better off channeling it's energies into stopping piracy with FTA receivers rather than terrorising customers with the audit department.

Apparently FTA piracy has grown to epidemic proportions. The pirate forums claim there are millions of these receivers out there giving people allmost unchecked free service.

Come on Dish, surely with your technological resources you can do more to stop this type of theft that must be costing you millions in lost revenue!

They can not stop the piracy. They have tried EVERYTHING. I had believed that they could, but I know better now. Pirates with FTA and open Yellow cards are here to stay. Dish is a lousy company with lousy encryption and lousy customer service.

They can not stop the piracy. They have tried EVERYTHING. I had believed that they could, but I know better now. Pirates with FTA and open Yellow cards are here to stay. Dish is a lousy company with lousy encryption and lousy customer service.

:rolleyes: Not clear to me how pirates hacking some FTA boxes make Dish a lousy company, and their CS is no better or worse than most modern American companies (as a matter of fact, from recent dealings with CS they actually seem to be getting better).

For Wallmart during really big sales days like that, the cost of a stolen low-weight television or DVD player is much less than spending the time to generate greater sales. They wont ignore it. But they wont divert alot of resources away from selling to others. If catching that one thief for that tv costs them 2 other sales for the same TV, its a loss. Hence the term "the cost of doing business". It was that way at a couple retail places I worked at. Of course they wont say that publicly. ;-)

I imagine that E* audits more than the IRS does. And the IRS deals with many 100's of billions of dollars. Then again, I hear an IRS audit is worse than having a root canal. :D

Oh and I have never bought software with product activation, and if I can help it I never will. Thats a big *if* however.

There are claims on various forums that FTA manufacturers and their coders have cracked the D* Videoguard encryption, but are not in a big rush to release it because the Dish Nagravision 2 is and will likely remain compromised. Dish appears willing to ride out the situation until their next generation of cardless MPEG-4 boxes are released. This will be a horifically expensive swapout, but that will probably be the time that they go to a much more bulletproof encryption system.

In the meantime, their audit department has to walk the fine line between pissing off their paying customers and satisfying their program suppliers, who are not at all happy with their efforts to keep their system secure.

In the meantime, their audit department has to walk the fine line between pissing off their paying customers and satisfying their program suppliers, who are not at all happy with their efforts to keep their system secure.

Well, this is sort of camouflage - real driver is money; providers does NOT getting more money as they wish; lost opportunity is not real loss.

MPEG4 will be hacked...EVENTUALLY. But it's a secure medium for now and that's the appeal. Open yellow cards are moot. Keep watching the piracy forums, the day all yellow cards are simultaneously killed, you'll see it.

The future of receivers is internal chipping, and those can be remotely controlled, updated and changed just as software can. Failure to acknowledge commands after X amount of time will result in the receiver ceasing to function. (512/1024 bit cypher key rumored, eat your hearts out!) Or so goes the theory.

Welcome to security in the new generation. Please assume the position and prepare for anal probing.

As things stand now, the cost of securing DISH's systems is obscene. The cost of upgrading equipment and security measures over time (which will have to be done in the future consistently regardless...) makes more sense. One instant fix, or roll the cost into R&D over time. Easy choice for me.

In theory, the new yellow card was secure too. Let me see the day when all pirating yellow cards get kill first. We will be talking about these same problems next year the same time.

In theory, the new yellow card was secure too. Let me see the day when all pirating yellow cards get kill first. We will be talking about these same problems next year the same time.

I just keeping readings your post over and over,the question on my mind is why you are doing business with a company who s track record according to you is doing a piss poor job on its signal encryption ?This is not unique a problem for Dishnetwork ,also Cable co and Software developers are facing on day to day business,Direct tv has on the past not sure about now,The Canadian satellite Co also have the same problem,So I really don t understand if you are so unhappy with the situation keep doing it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)