Audyssey Calibration Guide at AVS

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Im going to post this here, for the guys that dont travel to AVS.

Ive found, after going thru the motions a few times and learning all the steps, this yields a very accurate setup.

Only thing I do now, after running Audyssey, is verify the measurements (which are usually very close, change the center and surrounds to small, and ensure they are set at 80hz and the sub is at 120hz. As far as level settings, I havent been changing it recently, and the movie/tv sound seems well balanced.

I recommend everyone read this top to bottom a few times before running. Big thing I learned, for those guys like me with big cushy chairs, is get the mic about the chair and keep it away from the wall at all times.

AVS Forum - View Single Post - "Official" Audyssey thread.

Yeah, its pretty damn accurate when you follow those steps.

One thing I did not know before, was how far to keep the mic from a wall, and to make the mic higher than your ear if the seat back was high.

Wanted to add some good dialog, if anyone with efficient speakers runs into my trim level issue. I personally think this is a better solution vs adding attenuators to XLR or RCA cables. YMMV.

Me:

• Once I complete XT32, and find one or more speakers at -12, should I use the Marantz AV7702's speaker/manual menu's test tone and adjust volume to 0.0db on the preamp, to figure out exactly what the -12 speaker is putting out? Or does it have to be a test disc from an external source?

And just to make sure I am correct, if at 0.0 volume I found the one speaker to be 80db's, I would then go to the other speakers and adjust them to 80db's via the trim levels. Once they are all matched at 80db's, I would then turn the preamps volume down from 0.0 until they all read 75db's (say -5.0db was the result). -5.0db would need to be noted in the back of my head as the new "reference" volume for movies, etc... and not 0.0 on the preamp volume setting. I would also need to boost the sub +5db's as well?

Thanks.

• Hello,

The internal test noise is -30dBFS pink noise, it is meant to be calibrated to 75dB(C, Slow) at the main listening position. You may use an external test disc if you prefer, the disc may use a different test noise level.

If the lowest is 80 dB then yes match all speakers to that level and then remember that -5 dB master volume is reference level. Correct, the subwoofer would also need to be boosted 5 dB from the calibrated level to match the speakers.

Best regards,
    Audyssey Support

Page for "Ask Audyssey".

They are quite helpful and quick.

https://audyssey.zendesk.com/home

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)