Aussie Rules Football?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Tony1097

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 4, 2006
hello. Just out of curiousity, has anyone found feeds/backhauls/anything in the clear with Australian Rules football matches? Fox Soccer Channel dumped the sport (along with Rugby) and so it is not available on my cable anymore. I am going to guess my only choice would be getting DirecTV and subscribing to Setanta, but figured I would ask if anyone has gotten any footy on their FTA dishes

Thanks in advance,
Tony

Hello Tony, WELCOME to the SatelliteGuys.US FTA forum!

You have a 3rd choice.......

www.Globecastwtv.com also carry Setanta and you can sub to just one channel if need be :)

There is quite a bit of regular soccer on FTA satellite, there is one 24/7 channel that is worth the cost of a FTA system alone (IMO) its called GOL TV and its on the 110w satellite! (Requires a DBS LNB, with L.O. set to 11250)

Lots of soccer coming up this season on ONN channel on SBS6 not to mention the plethora of World Cup games that will be on all the foreign channels over the summer.

Best soccer or Football as we call it in the UK I have ever seen was a LIVE Glasgow Celtic game I seen on the PAS 9 satellite, just does not get any better than that :)

PSB said:
There is quite a bit of regular soccer on FTA satellite, there is one 24/7 channel that is worth the cost of a FTA system alone (IMO) its called GOL TV and its on the 110w satellite! (Requires a DBS LNB, with L.O. set to 11250)

Lots of soccer coming up this season on ONN channel on SBS6 not to mention the plethora of World Cup games that will be on all the foreign channels over the summer.

Best soccer or Football as we call it in the UK I have ever seen was a LIVE Glasgow Celtic game I seen on the PAS 9 satellite, just does not get any better than that :)

I guess all of these stations have to be dialed in and peaked before June 9th. Another football fan here :D We have to start a thread for world cup! ;)

Ok first to clear up a few things Aussie rules footy is not the same as soccer Pete. I have been watching it for the past 3 weeks, every saturday night 7:00pm on MHZ worldview tv. it is on IA-5 fta 11929 V SR 22.000. since the channel is sponsored at least in part by the U.S. department of education i don't think they should encript it. It is usually the saturday night game of the week followed by highlights of all the other games. MHZ worldview tv has a schedule of replays. usually on wednesday, and sundays.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to add a sticky in the "whats up there" forum. One sticky for every major sport and what sats they have been known to frequent in the past.

tony, just found out mhz is no longer on IA-5. At least not on mine. i am not sure but their websight says they are going to be on dishnetwork and direct tv. so unless MHZ is just changing transponders we could both be out of luck. Any one else having problems with mhz on ia-5. I did a rescan and didn't even get a hit on it.

yeah.. as much as I do like soccer, Aussie Rules is a different sport of it's own. I wish more AMericans would tkae to it, but the fanbase here is quite small.

that is a bummer about it not being on IA-5 anymore.. the globecast sounds neat, but I just might go the DirecTV way anyway, and buck our cable.

maybe sometime in the futire I will get invovled in the true FTA hobby, but dont really have the means for it right now.. ( I live in a SPlit level house that isnt mine)

I iwll coninue to browse around though, in jealousy lol

neil_kc1 said:
Ok first to clear up a few things Aussie rules footy is not the same as soccer Pete.

Eh, I know I come from the UK :) Been watching it for more years than I care to mention on Saturday's "World of Sport" on British TV.

Aussie footy and Rugby will never catch on here in the USA (America is that better?)

These are REAL rough games with little or no protection, not for the faint hearted!

Good luck on the quest for your games!

neil_kc1 said:
tony, just found out mhz is no longer on IA-5. At least not on mine. i am not sure but their websight says they are going to be on dishnetwork and direct tv. so unless MHZ is just changing transponders we could both be out of luck. Any one else having problems with mhz on ia-5. I did a rescan and didn't even get a hit on it.

MHZ is scrambled...it shows Nagravisions (at least the spot where it was). I don't know if its off IA5 totally or just scrambled

I have Setanta via Globecast and am very pleased with it. As mentioned you can just subscribe to the one channel. I had setanta with direct before I canceld that service and I think the picture quality is better with globecast. I have it mainly for Bundesliga and Champions League matches but there is plenty of Aussie rules and rugby on it as well. They will also have WC2006 coverage. An added bonus with the globecast receiver that I like is having the fixed dish on IA5 which is nice as you can manually add tp's to the globecast receiver. I like having access to Russia Today News and the GNF channels without having to motor my other dish receiver to it. Also my bill each month is always $11.99 they never add any other type of fee to it.

Graffiti Press / Photorazzi
Irish pay-TV operator Setanta has been successful in its bid to break Sky's monopoly on live Premiership coverage, securing two of three remaining live TV rights packages of 23 games per year for four seasons starting in 2007.

The Premier League announced at a press conference held after the close of business at the London Stock Exchange that Setanta's bid of £392m for 46 games per year was successful. Sky secured a fourth package in addition to the three it won last week, with the broadcaster paying £1.31bn for a total of 92 games per year.

"This is an important day in the development of Setanta Sports and another milestone for us," said Setanta Sport's director of sport Trevor East. "Following on from last week's announcement of greater coverage of the Scottish Premier League, we are delighted to be able to add the FA Premier League to our channel offering. We are committed to providing a first-class sports service to our customers and the FAPL is a jewel in any broadcaster's crown. It will ensure that Setanta Sports is a must-have sports channel for all football fans."

In an agreement reached with the European Commission, Sky was allowed to bid for all six packages but would only have been allowed to win a maximum of five.

"This is good news for fans, football and Sky," said Sky Sports managing director Vic Wakeling. "Sky is the home of football. We will offer first picks, the best matches and biggest head-to-heads. There will be more live Premiership matches on Sky Sports than ever: 92 games per season, up from 88 games today. Viewers can look forward to years of innovative coverage of live Premiership football, all broadcast in HD. Fans will also have new ways of watching using broadband and mobile."

neil_kc1 said:
I just received an e-mail from MHZ they have sold out to Globecast on IA-5. So free Aussie rules is out!

They sold out!
They sold out!
(sorry...wrestling chant there)

bummer that its gone :(

Tony1097 said:
hello. Just out of curiousity, has anyone found feeds/backhauls/anything in the clear with Australian Rules football matches? Fox Soccer Channel dumped the sport (along with Rugby) and so it is not available on my cable anymore. I am going to guess my only choice would be getting DirecTV and subscribing to Setanta, but figured I would ask if anyone has gotten any footy on their FTA dishes

Thanks in advance,
Tony

Check my post in the "What's Up There?" area.

I cant ;) I probably couldnt set up an FTA system anyway, the more i think about it

I might be able to get a DirecTV dish up there, (with subsription) but that would be a benefit to the whole household. Dont think I can get anything up there just for my own benefit;)

So hopefully, Setanata that way will come to me soon.

thank you though! :)

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)