FCC ruling to open set-top boxes and FTA

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Brandon Currin

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Lexington, Tennessee
So as the Title says, and this article from WIRED.com shows http://www.wired.com/2016/02/fcc-set-top-box-rules/

I got to thinking,I know its mainly focusing on Cable boxes but I've seen other articles mention Satellite receivers as well and it got me thinking about ,if this passes, what could/would the effects be for us FTA users.

Could we see the introduction of newer Name brand receivers, like Samsung,LG and the like begin to drop or allow FTA use? could we see something from Google,Amazon,Apple or some one else new join the recover group?

Just looking for some discussion ,facts opinions on anyone's views.

Could we see the introduction of newer Name brand receivers, like Samsung,LG and the like begin to drop or allow FTA use? could we see something from Google,Amazon,Apple or some one else new join the recover group?
I really doubt it. This is all about the boxes rented by the pay services to their customers. Be it cable or satellite delivered.
Your FTA STB is already YOUR equipment, not rented to you by some provider.

Reactions: Mr Tony
Both are valid points, but what I guess I was saying is if the Rule passes and say LG/samsung starts producing Satellite receivers , would they incorporate FTA ability on top of the regular Pay Sat system? i know that FTA is a niche and dying out slowly, but I was just thinking about if more companies are able to produce different receivers for cable or satellite then maybe, a huge firm maybe, that they would add in the ability for FTA/OTA function on top of the regular stuff as well as the IPTV features sure to be a major addition.

Reactions: Stargazer
I really doubt it. This is all about the boxes rented by the pay services to their customers. Be it cable or satellite delivered.
Your FTA STB is already YOUR equipment, not rented to you by some provider.
true but the ruling would allow Pay customers to purchase there own receivers,that would then become there property to use on the Pay-services, so wouldn't it not seem like an easy thing and maybe a small percentage of FTAers would grab a name brand receiver if it supported both FTA and Pay-service as well as there IPTV features all in one unit,seems like a good way to make money all the way around.

Both are valid points, but what I guess I was saying is if the Rule passes and say LG/samsung starts producing Satellite receivers , would they incorporate FTA ability on top of the regular Pay Sat system? .
nope

If they did they would only work for Directv or Dish only

Reactions: navychop
true but the ruling would allow Pay customers to purchase there own receivers,that would then become there property to use on the Pay-services, so wouldn't it not seem like an easy thing and maybe a small percentage of FTAers would grab a name brand receiver if it supported both FTA and Pay-service as well as there IPTV features all in one unit,seems like a good way to make money all the way around.
Again set top providers are not going to add free to air options for a few people

This isnt like Europe where there are subscription services and free services on one satellite.

Reactions: navychop
nope

If they did they would only work for Directv or Dish only
Agreeing with what ICE said.
The 'model' isn't the same as EU. No manufacturer is going to add FTA capabilities to a subscription box because there's no $$ payback. The cost is too great to incorporate it for the very few numbers of those that would likely to purchase them. If they did, IMHO, you're probably better off just renting. Defeating the 'jist' of the proposal.
FTA is a hobby. Subscription services are a business.
No one will put both, hobby and business, in one box.

Both are valid points, but what I guess I was saying is if the Rule passes and say LG/samsung starts producing Satellite receivers , would they incorporate FTA ability on top of the regular Pay Sat system?
For their part, Samsung, Humax and Techicolor (RCA et al) have been producing DIRECTV receivers all along.

Extending that to a marketplace measured in thousands of customers doesn't make economic sense given the prices that dedicated FTA receivers seem to be fetching. Even more damaging is the fact that Americans seem to favor doing things just enough differently than the rest of the planet that the economies of scale aren't there.

The multi-slot requirement for pay TV makes combination of the pay and FTA sides messy. Adding antenna positioning to a pay box is way out of its league (look at how much an auto-pointing dish system fetches). To apply a DVR that can record 3-16 channels to an environment where only a couple of channels are likely to be available doesn't make sense.

Never thought of it the way you guys have painted the picture, and valid points honestly, I had only started thin king cause I went over to a friends house and he has a few dishes, starting to think conspiracy nut,lol, two BUDs and like three generic dishes on top of a DISH Network one, and his FTA box, not sure the brand but its sluggish as an old laptop from the 90s..that's why I got to thinking about a name brand one that had the name and therefore the tech/software to function, granted i haven't jumped in to FTA myself just yet due to numerous reasons, but i just font want to end up with shoddy equipment.

Those C band etc providers don't WANT us to get their signals. Too few today to care about. But if such boxes came out, they'd no doubt sue sue sue and encrypt encrypt encrypt.

Ain't gonna happen.

Reactions: FTA4PA and Mr Tony
Why I love my Big Useful Dishes:
1) I'm enjoying watching C band more than I was enjoying watching what used to cost me almost $110 a month.
2) A percentage of my money is NOT going to channels that I politically or morally oppose.
3) My wife has much more Spanish programming than she ever had with a subscription.
4) I get a warm fuzzy feeling knowing I can now set up my own system.
5) I like being different and not blindly following the herd.
6) I don't miss half a darn movie every time a thunderstorm passes over.

I could go on,but there's something on that I want to watch now. :biggrin

Why I love my Big Useful Dishes:
1) I'm enjoying watching C band more than I was enjoying watching what used to cost me almost $110 a month.
2) A percentage of my money is NOT going to channels that I politically or morally oppose.
3) My wife has much more Spanish programming than she ever had with a subscription.
4) I get a warm fuzzy feeling knowing I can now set up my own system.
5) I like being different and not blindly following the herd.
6) I don't miss half a darn movie every time a thunderstorm passes over.

I could go on,but there's something on that I want to watch now. :biggrin
Double like! :)

Reactions: danristheman
Why I love my Big Useful Dish:

Setting up a working motorized BUD -- rewarding.

Using it to watch High Dynamic Range UHD straight from the source -- priceless!

Reactions: FTA4PA
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)