Automatically go to OTA channel on input

browerjs

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 5, 2007
Beavercreek, OH
I recieve 7-1 via OTA, and 7-0 over Sat. Is there anyway I can make my VIP722 to automatically go to 7-1 when i type in '7' on the remote (without locking 7-0). Kind of like when i hit 140 I automatically get ESPNHD and not ESPN.

I have that issue too. The only way around it (that I know of) is to either create a favorites list not including the E* locals, or, if you have already created a favorites list, delete those from your list. You will still have the functionality with searches, timers, etc. Probably not the answer you wanted but it's the only way I know of to accomplish the task. I'm sure if others have a better route they will chime in.

Scratch my previous post. I setup my favorites list a couple of weeks ago as I described above. However, upon checking, pressing the number of the channel still brings up the xx-0 (E* sd) channel. So i'm not sure if it's possible. Sorry!

I can't remember exactly (and can't check right know since I'm at work), but it's an option on the Locals Setup Menu. I think it might be DISABLE for DISH LOCALS. The drawback of it is that if you have an analog only local (it will only be on SAT) the X-0 channel won't be available to add to a favorites list. You have to add the 9XXX channel. I will check when I get home what the exact option is unless someone else beats me to it.

I recieve 7-1 via OTA, and 7-0 over Sat. Is there anyway I can make my VIP722 to automatically go to 7-1 when i type in '7' on the remote (without locking 7-0). Kind of like when i hit 140 I automatically get ESPNHD and not ESPN.

Enter 0071 on the remote to get to 7.1.

You can shut off the map down feature on your locals as well. That will eliminate this problem as well, or you can punch in the entire channel number, ie: 00701 or 0071 depending on how your receiver reacts. I have seen them do either.

You can shut off the map down feature on your locals as well. That will eliminate this problem as well, or you can punch in the entire channel number, ie: 00701 or 0071 depending on how your receiver reacts. I have seen them do either.
I'm positive that map-down doesn't apply to OTA vs SD (analog) channels. If his channel 7 was provided by Dish as an HD LIL, it might work.

Actually sometimes the answer is this easy. I know I as trying to come up witha more complicated way to get the right answer. but hiiting the sequence indicated is the right---and the simple answer to the question.

I'm positive that map-down doesn't apply to OTA vs SD (analog) channels. If his channel 7 was provided by Dish as an HD LIL, it might work.

You can shut off the map down feature which will apply to the sd and HD channels supplied by Dish leaving only the ota channels in that location. That will take care of it. Most people try to turn one or the other off, but you can turn off both.

The map-down setting is under Channel Display preferences (under the Local Channels menu), right ?? I can enable or disable "DishHD Channels". Mine is currently on "Enable" and I have channels 7-00, 7-01, and 7-02 in the guide (browerjs and I are in the same market). The other setting, Local Sat Channels, HD Priority, SD Only, HD and SD, and Disable. Mine is set to "HD and SD". Changing it to "HD Priority" makes no difference. Disabling "DishHD Channels" makes no difference. I'm not going to try all the possible combinations of these settings though.

If I lock channels 7-00 and 7-02 and then hit "7" on my remote, it does go to 7-01.

Correction to my last post:

(this probably is what garys was referring to)

Under "Local Sat Channels", choose Disable. That does work like he said (it also deletes any timers for those channels but it does warn you about this). The downside of this is the local satellite channel is *gone* completely. You can't tune to it even if you wanted to now. I think what browerjs really wants it a "priority" option when hitting the channel #.

Correction to my last post:

(this probably is what garys was referring to)

Under "Local Sat Channels", choose Disable. That does work like he said (it also deletes any timers for those channels but it does warn you about this). The downside of this is the local satellite channel is *gone* completely. You can't tune to it even if you wanted to now. I think what browerjs really wants it a "priority" option when hitting the channel #.

That is exactly what I would like (the priority option). Depending on the show I'm recording OTA I still like the back-up option on E* locals.

That is exactly what I would like (the priority option). Depending on the show I'm recording OTA I still like the back-up option on E* locals.

Exactly, I don't want to lock out the -0's, because if i need to dvr two network shows at once, i'll need to record on the SD Sat Local. For now, i'll stick to the 2 button aproach... Hit 7... Hit Channel Up... :)

I just removed them from my available list by using the Channel Locks. We still don't have all of our locals available in Digital form yet (maybe this weekend, hope-hope!) so I still want some of them to show up. As for the recording issue, you're right. If you use Channel Locks, those channels are not available for recording. In my case, I'm talking about my ViP211, so DVRing a locked channel is not a problem at the moment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts