AV HDD question (WD AV-GP and Seagate Pipeline)

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
I recently had to deal with a bit of an ass on another forum, when I was informed that the AV-GP drives were a myth unless the device was setup to use the function. What I mean is I've read the AV drives are setup maximum streaming and minimal data integrity. They see a bad sector or two they just keep on trucking, where a "data" drive would not. This is what you want in something simply recording video, but it does not make them a good "data" drive. When I asked for some pointers on where to look, I was basically told to "do my own damn research".

The poster claims the device has to be configured to enable that feature, and if they are not an AV-GP drive is like any other data drive (Caviar Green). Im not offering opinion either way, Im just looking for info. If that is true, then next time I look for a Tivo or EHD I may not get the AV-GP, but I find it odd that Directv/Dish/Tivo would ship with AV-GP and Pipeline drives unless its just because they are rated for more heat and a longer warranty.

Thanks, if anyone has a good source on this topic, because Ive seen the recommendation for a AV HDD several times, and if its abilities really arent used, itd be nice to know. The whole conversation was based on that it was a myth started by people selling drives.

Looks like this is correct. There are "streaming" ATA commands that have to be in place. If a device (Hopper, Tivo, etc...) is not using them, then an AV-GP drive is being used as a Caviar Green would be.

The DVRs should be using the feature. Essentially you can deal with a momentary pixelation or audio dropout when watching a show. Some drives can delay a second or 2 to handle the bad sector. When they write important data like file descriptors they should not be using the streaming commands and allow error correction.

Thats what got me going, a few folks claim that Tivo has not once yet implemented the ATA commands for the streaming use (silkstream), but I dont understand why Tivo, Dish and Directv use AV-GP and Pipeline drives then.

Maybe they do not use that feature yet... But, someday they could just turn it on... But the firmware is also tuned to slow down seeks to make the drive extra quite.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts