Availability of Non-local RSN's???

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Tenacious-D

Original poster
Nov 20, 2007
I'm currently a Comcast subscriber in the Indianapolis market and thinking seriously about switching to D*. Comcast claims to be adding Fox Sports MW to their lineup beginning May 1 but I am skeptical.

My neighbor across the street just had D* installed last week and he thought he would be getting the Fox RSN for Detroit so that he could watch his Tigers - he did not get it though. He had to pay extra for the MLB-EI package.

Now, I'm a St. Louis Cardinals fan and when I used D*'s local TV listing it shows for my ZIP (46143) channels 647 and 647-1 for FSNMW and lists the Cardinals games and also lists many other RSNs. But, when I used D*'s "Local Regional Sports Network Information" lookup page for my ZIP it comes back with ONLY Ch 640 - Comcast SportsNet (Chicago) for Cubs/Sox but nothing else.

- Did my neighbor maybe not subscribe one of the higher packages and his RSN was limited to just the local choice (I think he actually got the Reds and not the Chicago channel)?

- How can I really know if advance if I subscribe to D* that I will get Fox Sports Midwest AND not have Cardinals games blacked out?

Thanks

ImageShack - Hosting :: fsmwid4.jpg

ImageShack - Hosting :: localrsninfotv2.jpg

You'll get the RSNs when they're not covering a major league sporting event. So the "best damn sport show period" will be on EVERY RSN at different times and you'll see 'em all. I doubt that is what you want though. The ONLY way to get out of market games is to go with Extra Innings, Sunday Ticket, etc. etc. there is no way (I know of) around it. If you REALLY want to see your home team, and I can understand wanting that, then the sports packages are well worth it. Both Extra Innings and Sunday Ticket are about the cost of attending ONE game (assuming ample adult bevs consumed) HTH:cool:

BTW: has the shakin stopped in Indy?

Yeah, I was awake but not out of bed for the first little tremor then the bigger shake at 5:38am started up and it actually woke up my wife. She went right back to sleep though so nothing registered on the Dichter scale.

I was afraid I'd get the channels but not the games - that will probably be the case when Comcast brings Fox Midwest online May 1. Looks like D* with MLB-EI is the way to go.

Of course, I won't get all my local networks until that AM21 OTA antenna is available since Indy is a LIN market and WISH-CBS isn't on sat.

So then what's the point of the $10/month Sports Pack? It looks like it contains all the other RSNs, ESPNU, etc. Or is this just one of those things where EI and Sunday Ticket are per-season things just for that sport, whereas the Sports Pack is an ongoing thing?

I was actually hoping to switch out Starz or Cinemax for the Sports Pack so I could get FSN Ohio (among others) and watch the Tribe without shelling out for EI.

General question that I'll add to my own thread . . . in pricing out D* and looking at MLB Extra Innings, it shows up as the full $199 if I go ahead and order it now. We're already about 20% through the season though - will they prorate the cost?

General question that I'll add to my own thread . . . in pricing out D* and looking at MLB Extra Innings, it shows up as the full $199 if I go ahead and order it now. We're already about 20% through the season though - will they prorate the cost?

Shouldn't you be asking Directv this question?

So . . . you're saying that a forum of D* users is the wrong place to ask a question about D*'s pricing on a product?

BTW, I've searched MLB-EI on D* but do not see anything about prorating the cost and figured it would be difficult to get an actual straight answer via phone or email.

So . . . you're saying that a forum of D* users is the wrong place to ask a question about D*'s pricing on a product?

BTW, I've searched MLB-EI on D* but do not see anything about prorating the cost and figured it would be difficult to get an actual straight answer via phone or email.

I've never heard of D* pro rating a price after a season starts.

They probably will offer a half season package sometime around the all star game, and then maybe a package close to the end of the season where you get the rest of the season plus next season as well.

Next year you will get it for a discount price if you let it auto renew. I think it is $179.

Tenacious,
What raoul is saying is, by calling D* you would find out for sure, we answer alot of questions but D* is the one that can verify costs and make appropriate changes for you, discounts, comp programming excetra.

Jimbo

So then what's the point of the $10/month Sports Pack? It looks like it contains all the other RSNs, ESPNU, etc. Or is this just one of those things where EI and Sunday Ticket are per-season things just for that sport, whereas the Sports Pack is an ongoing thing?

I was actually hoping to switch out Starz or Cinemax for the Sports Pack so I could get FSN Ohio (among others) and watch the Tribe without shelling out for EI.
I am a sports junky (especially baseball) and I cannot justify paying $10/month for the sports pack. I have no desire the same the same repeated shows on several different RSN's. I subscribe to the individual sports packages so I can watch the professional games of those respective sports. In fact, as I am typing this, I am switching back and forth between 4 different games on MLB EI.

Tenacious,
What raoul is saying is, by calling D* you would find out for sure, we answer alot of questions but D* is the one that can verify costs and make appropriate changes for you, discounts, comp programming excetra.

Jimbo

You said it better than I could (did)!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)