Average 622/722 Temperature thread, Is your's Hot?

Can't find my mini discussion with someone about how the fan controlling (PWM ?).
Well, I decide to put final nail in that dispute - got scope, heat gun and canned air.
For refresh basic facts: temperature sensor located on PCB between HDD power socket and sat tuners - U16 (LM75);
when temperature at normal level fan's black and red wires measured +10 VDC;
when the chip has been heated ( I didn't measure the threshold ), voltage on black wire changed to sq wave - you can see below: 50% duty cycle
( pretty dirty I would say, with positive overshoot and negative overshoot, some noise, etc );
this picture did not change up to a few minutes after cool down the chip.
So, practically we see fixed control of the fan - OFF most of all time and 1/2 power when temp is raise above certain level.

Attachments

• tek00005.png
    tek00005.png
    24.8 KB · Views: 145
Two of my DVRs with fans are still going down. Going to catch Smith, P!!!!

722 104 with dual VIP722 fan setup
722 104 with dual Thermaltakes
722 113 no fans
625 104 no fans

Attachments

• DVR Temps-1.xls
    45.5 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Maybe Dish will do the PWM fan control for the new 722 models when they come out. I don't think my temps will go much lower. I don't have the cases removed. Out of everything that I have tried out the two little fans sucking the hot air out on the left side has been the best method to cool these hot dudes down. I have removed all spacers and laptop coolers. Are you still maintaining 98F on your DVR?

Yeah, it still show between 97..100 F.
As to PWM, I don't know any details of fan control, but that scope picture (50% duty cycle) telling me they could use it anytime in new FW for all 622/722.

722 Cannot be enclosed

I just hooked up a 722 and also had the problem with loud fan noise.

Forget about putting it in any type of enclosed entertainment center that has shelves and sides.
This DVR HAS to breath with Nothing around it.
Once I did this the fans shut down and it is quiet.

Poor design in my opinion

Got my 722 a couple weeks ago, and yes, from 10' away, you can hear the fan easily. I searched some threads and it seems my temps are within range from others, but when I called support, the "tech", he thought my avg. temp, (113F) was high. Their sendin me out a new one. He did have me "reset" with the power button, and let it cycle to see if the fan would shut off during the call.

Do these units ever completly "shut down" when turned off? I understand that they do power on to obtain updates, mine is around 3am., but was wondering if anyone else has noticed their fans not shutting off completly, or any other noise when powered off?

My 722 is settin on top of, and "outside" of my entertainment center, so it should be getting enough air, and the house temp is a cool 76F.

I have always said the fans in the 722 are to loud. Especially when in the bedroom
I can't wait for the vip 211 to receive the dvr support so i can use my own quiet hard drive. But who know what year that will come...

I was worried about mine being loud with all the talk. I can't even hear it all. But there is a HTPC sitting below it so maybe I am used to a minor fan running.

Well, I had a "tech" come out to look at mine, and we plugged in a new unit to compare the noise of the two. They were similiar in noise levels. I just decided to keep my unit.

Don't know if the temps the CSR tech thought were high are a factor, but the "tech", if you can call 'em that, didn't seem to be concerned. He was more concerned with my cable connection in the wall... I was like, wth??? does that have to do with my dvr fan noise.

He said he is required to look at "sleeve" connectors at the wall?? Sounded as just a reason to write up some labor/service charge to me? He didn't strike me as well informed at all.

After he knocked over some stuff trying to look at it, I told him to leave it alone, as I'm in the "don't fix it if it isn't broken" camp and was kinda gettin annoyed by that time.

Sorry I had wasted our time with the call. But if you want your wall connections looked at, bay all means, send for a tech....

Look at the wall connectors. the middle insulator should be blue, not white.

The white ones may work, the blue ones are designed for the higher frequencies of stacked band satellite signals.

Like I said, my other hd dvr, the 622, it whisper quiet.

Your 722 must be really loud. My 622 which is not enclosed at all is loud. My 625 is even louder. I don't allow DVR's into my bedroom for this very reason. I refuse to believe a DVR can be whisper quiet unless they have a relatively expensive cooling fan and silent rails for the hard drive.