Average 622/722 Temperature thread, Is your's Hot?

Loud? You should have heard the fan on the OTA card for the 6000 receiver!

I recently got a 722 (but most likely will be canceling Dish anyway--but I'll post my saga in another thread) and immediately noticed the fan noise--and it's about 2 feet away from an erstwhile HTPC which has 2 80mm fans, plus a CPU fan (Zalman) that is way more silent.

I'm sure it's a 40mm fan, right?

I noticed mine was a little loud today but not enough to really bother me. Mine is in a cabinet thing though and right behind my head as in like a foot behind the sofa so I figure most anything I would hear. It isn't bad enough it bothered me and I think if you were a few feet away you would hardly notice it.

Is there anyway to reset the temp under the "diagnostic/counter" menu?
When it says "average temp", what is the period of time it measure over with?
I put on a laptop cooler underneath 722 and the temp doesn't even change at all for 5 days already... Someone mentioned earlier said it has something to do with the update, is that true?

Thanks very much.

My 622 runs at 135 degrees. Warms up my room! AC is running non stop because of it! There is nothing around it either. Just waiting for it to burn up because I don't even OWN it! Not my problem.

Is there anyway to reset the temp under the "diagnostic/counter" menu?
When it says "average temp", what is the period of time it measure over with?
I put on a laptop cooler underneath 722 and the temp doesn't even change at all for 5 days already... Someone mentioned earlier said it has something to do with the update, is that true?

Thanks very much.

i did the same thing. it took my 722 several weeks to register a difference.

Final answer.

For those ppl who own 622/722 and suffer from all issues relating to overheating HDD and components ( and not afraid do this mod ) I'm presenting perfectly working solution.
After months of thinking, 3D modeling of air-flow and temperature of main components [three main BCM chips, HDD, two demods BCM4500 and a couple of hi-pot regulators on power supply PCB ) and play with different fans, position and voltage I fixed the problem.
If Dish will follow my design, I prefer if I will be copyrighted it by publishing here. ;)

What I did consider:
- cooling air must come into the box strictly from outside;
- three possible position for new fan:
-- a) 40-50mm on back side, right above two sat cans; best position but the small size of fan and noise/airflow ratio wasn't acceptable ;
-- b) on top, blowing down to BCM4500s ( right side if you have front panel looking at you ) and under HDD to main BCMs to power supply [PS] ; good position, you can use 80mm fan, but airflow will go out mostly to right side, not to the left - not effective;
-- c) use same 80mm 12 VDC fan in a middle of volume; slow down its rotation using internal 3.3V (RS232/UART) or 5V from USB connector.

So, I took last approach - you can see it on my pictures.

Passed months, a temperature showing by Diags Counters still at 111/84/95; whispering of the fan you can hear from 3 feet max midnight ( at 3.3V ); I did measure of warmest spot at left grill ( near PS) - during hottest days w/out AC it was 120F, regulary - less then 100F.

I see positive moments in the design:-
- 80mm fun is cheap
- powering it at 3.3V reduce noise and produce enough CFM to keep DVR cool
- intake air taking directly from your room
- delivering it to hi-pot components directly: HDD, BCMs and power supply
- space for the fan is available
- using those four plastic rivets is very convinient; no need any tool to remove them in case if a cover should be open
- quiet.

Attachments

• DSCI0050.JPG
    DSCI0050.JPG
    228.8 KB · Views: 440
  • DSCI0052.JPG
    DSCI0052.JPG
    751.4 KB · Views: 305
  • DSCI0053.JPG
    DSCI0053.JPG
    786.5 KB · Views: 302
  • DSCI0054.JPG
    DSCI0054.JPG
    487 KB · Views: 308
  • DSCI0055.JPG
    DSCI0055.JPG
    424.3 KB · Views: 292
  • DSCI0056.JPG
    DSCI0056.JPG
    948.8 KB · Views: 271
  • DSCI0057.JPG
    DSCI0057.JPG
    686.4 KB · Views: 408
  • DSCI0063.JPG
    DSCI0063.JPG
    496.2 KB · Views: 382
  • DSCI0059.JPG
    DSCI0059.JPG
    695.8 KB · Views: 439
mine runs hot too i have a fan blowing directly on it. average 113F. if i take the fan off it would probably catch on fire or something. maybe they should have installed a better fan on the 622.

mine runs hot too i have a fan blowing directly on it. average 113F. if i take the fan off it would probably catch on fire or something. maybe they should have installed a better fan on the 622.
I agree. My temps on my 622 with a fan blowing on the back corner.

HDD High Temp: 120
HDD LOw Temp: 91
HDD Average Temp: 107

many thanks to this thread... due to space constraints, my 722 sits near other devices underneath the tv and i was getting 138/104/118 even with a laptop cooler underneath. i had an extra 80mm industrial-grade Papst brand fan(all-metal construction) that was rated for 8V-16V along with AC adaptors of various voltages. Tried 5V/6V/9V:

1) 5V - not enough juice to turn the fan on unless you turned the blade by hand initially

2) 9V - too loud to be acceptable

3) 6V - from a discarded Aiwa Discman from 1999. this one did the trick

within 30 minutes of placing this setup on the exhaust vent of the DVR, the DVR case was almost cool to the touch. 12 hours later the counters are reporting 138/100/116 and i anticipate that the average will continue to come down significantly in the near future.

The only disadvantage I see to P Smith's mod is it is in the way if you try to connect SATA/USB converter to rip programming off the HDD.

I did the same thing to my old Panasonic Showstopper 2000 about 3 years ago, except it already had a grill on top and I just put a small case fan on top with foam grommet for insulation and use it to suck hot air out of unit. Now the top of the box is no longer hot to the touch. (I'll try to add a picture later if I can).

many thanks to this thread... due to space constraints, my 722 sits near other devices underneath the tv and i was getting 138/104/118 even with a laptop cooler underneath. i had an extra 80mm industrial-grade Papst brand fan(all-metal construction) that was rated for 8V-16V along with AC adaptors of various voltages. Tried 5V/6V/9V:

1) 5V - not enough juice to turn the fan on unless you turned the blade by hand initially

2) 9V - too loud to be acceptable

3) 6V - from a discarded Aiwa Discman from 1999. this one did the trick

within 30 minutes of placing this setup on the exhaust vent of the DVR, the DVR case was almost cool to the touch. 12 hours later the counters are reporting 138/100/116 and i anticipate that the average will continue to come down significantly in the near future.

After 2 weeks of running my fan setup, the temperature readings have dropped steadily from 138/104/118 to 132/95/109. :D I would like the average temperature to come down close to 100.