Average 622/722 Temperature thread, Is your's Hot?

I have a 722 and it is definitely running hot, based on the standards of this thread. The problem I have is that mine is in a cabinet enclosure (surely contributing to the problem), and it doesn't have enough clearance to the side to add that nice ebay fan solution. In the back of the cabinet, there is 10"x4" opening to run the cables out, which provides the only ventilation.

I don't want to take it out of the cabinet, because I spent a lot of time setting things up in a clean, simple way. And I wouldn't care about the actual receiver dying (leased), except that I would lose my unwatched recordings; not to mention my custom guide setup. So what should I do? Would it be stupid to mount those ebay fan things to the cabinet's opening? Would that be an utter waste? Should I get a laptop cooling system?
If you are in a tight cabinet then the laptop cooler is the way to go. You will still need some side clearance (especially on the left side) for the heat to vent.

If you are in a tight cabinet then the laptop cooler is the way to go. You will still need some side clearance (especially on the left side) for the heat to vent.

I can scootch my 722 all the way to the right to give it a little bit of breathing room, but will that cause even more problems?

I can scootch my 722 all the way to the right to give it a little bit of breathing room, but will that cause even more problems?
The laptop cooler will blow air up through the bottom of the 722 and it will vent out the left side. Leave at least a fingers width (1/2 inch) on the right side.

Worst method to cool the 622/722 by using bottom blow:
a) no vents enough at bottom
b) main board blocking air flow - major heater [disk] is not cooling.

Pushing room air thru right side is preferable in case of external fan; second will be pulling hot air from left side; more problematic - when using pushing fan at left side.
By design (poorly implemented - see my analysis in the thread ) cool air sucking from right side, flowing thru HDD and chips, then thru power supply heat-sinks and venting out thru left side.

Thanks for the advice, Voyager6.

Pushing room air thru right side is preferable in case of external fan; second will be pulling hot air from left side; more problematic - when using pushing fan at left side.
By design (poorly implemented - see my analysis in the thread ) cool air sucking from right side, flowing thru HDD and chips, then thru power supply heat-sinks and venting out thru left side.

I understand that a laptop cooler is far from the best solution, but given the constraints of my cabinet system, it is either that, fans directly stuck on the cabinet, or nothing at all.

For my system, it is working well. I have had stable average temps of between 105 and 107 for about 8 months now. Perhaps I could achieve a lower average temp with the side mounted cooling fans but I am happy with the current set-up.

Well, it's kind of cheating the system :).
If you'll look back in early post you will notice where the temp sensor [LM75] located - on PCB far away from HDD/CPU and PSU, but for your satisfaction the method cooling better the PCB, then internal volume of hot air.

I have a 722 and it is definitely running hot, based on the standards of this thread. The problem I have is that mine is in a cabinet enclosure (surely contributing to the problem), and it doesn't have enough clearance to the side to add that nice ebay fan solution. In the back of the cabinet, there is 10"x4" opening to run the cables out, which provides the only ventilation.

I don't want to take it out of the cabinet, because I spent a lot of time setting things up in a clean, simple way. And I wouldn't care about the actual receiver dying (leased), except that I would lose my unwatched recordings; not to mention my custom guide setup. So what should I do? Would it be stupid to mount those ebay fan things to the cabinet's opening? Would that be an utter waste? Should I get a laptop cooling system?

See my post #566 in this thread (back 1 page). Tight cabinet, barely 2 inches on each side. I didn't want to disturb anything either, but I don't like a fried or acting-up recv. from high temps. I used the 4" fans inside of a laptop cooler (they are like 1/2" thick if that), and glued them to a coat-hanger with bathtub caulk, masking taped it to the top of my 622, and they blow into the exhaust vent. My temps are VERY cool, and this is cheap, and doesn't affect warranty at all. Pic in my posting...

It looks like there's more room in my cabinet, but that's an illusion caused by my pulling out the receiver a bit to get a pic of the fans.

See my post #566 in this thread (back 1 page). Tight cabinet, barely 2 inches on each side. I didn't want to disturb anything either, but I don't like a fried or acting-up recv. from high temps. I used the 4" fans inside of a laptop cooler (they are like 1/2" thick if that), and glued them to a coat-hanger with bathtub caulk, masking taped it to the top of my 622, and they blow into the exhaust vent. My temps are VERY cool, and this is cheap, and doesn't affect warranty at all. Pic in my posting...

It looks like there's more room in my cabinet, but that's an illusion caused by my pulling out the receiver a bit to get a pic of the fans.

With the USB powered solutions, when the receiver goes into that weird power saving mode (and you get weird tips in a powerpoint like presentation on the screen) do the fans turn off, or do they run constantly? I was just wondering, because instead of having to flip a switch or something in a cramped cabinet, it would be nice if it just shut off every night.

You don't have to listen to me, but you could take care of the heat issue by changing your mind on not wanting to move it.

You'd have a no-cost solution. Also you'd spend less time moving it than you would in down-time if the unit overheats, and avoid losing your recorded programs (unless you activate and use the external hard-drive feature).

I took the time to move mine out of my cabinet, made the cables neat and now it runs about 15-20 degrees cooler with no extra cost. It was less time than shopping for a cooling fan or having the unit die from overheating.

It was a no-brainer for me once I changed my mind about taking the time to move it out of the cabinet.

You don't have to listen to me, but you could take care of the heat issue by changing your mind on not wanting to move it.

You'd have a no-cost solution. Also you'd spend less time moving it than you would in down-time if the unit overheats, and avoid losing your recorded programs (unless you activate and use the external hard-drive feature).

I took the time to move mine out of my cabinet, made the cables neat and now it runs about 15-20 degrees cooler with no extra cost. It was less time than shopping for a cooling fan or having the unit die from overheating.

It was a no-brainer for me once I changed my mind about taking the time to move it out of the cabinet.

But alas, I am stubborn about my stupid cabinet... I spent plenty of money on it, so that is a sunk cost; it seems silly, to me, not to use it. Then again, a rational person might take your advice. :)

With the USB powered solutions, when the receiver goes into that weird power saving mode (and you get weird tips in a powerpoint like presentation on the screen) do the fans turn off, or do they run constantly? I was just wondering, because instead of having to flip a switch or something in a cramped cabinet, it would be nice if it just shut off every night.

They stay on all the time. Except, they shut down temporarily on that nightly reboot, then come back on when the receiver powers back on in a couple minutes.

Why would you ever want these fans to shut down? The receiver runs 24/7, and heats up, so you want it cooled all the time. It does NOT actually "power down" or "power save" when that screen-saver comes up, so don't be fooled!

They stay on all the time. Except, they shut down temporarily on that nightly reboot, then come back on when the receiver powers back on in a couple minutes.

Why would you ever want these fans to shut down? The receiver runs 24/7, and heats up, so you want it cooled all the time. It does NOT actually "power down" or "power save" when that screen-saver comes up, so don't be fooled!

It doesn't? I actually did think it was some kind of "power save" mode... Well, I am looking to get a laptop cooler today, so I will let everyone know if it makes any difference!

Laptop cooler is not designed to run 24/7/365, better to get some sort of low noise fan to pull/push air in or out of left side.

Laptop cooler is not designed to run 24/7/365, better to get some sort of low noise fan to pull/push air in or out of left side.

Because of the tightness of my cabinet, I don't have the clearance for that, which is probably why I am having these problems in the first place.

Either way, the fan is installed, and my starting temps are:

• High: 138
  • Low: 113
  • Average: 125
Boo, temperature! :down I will report back with any changes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)