Average 622/722 Temperature thread, Is your's Hot?

Maybe It's Just BLAME the Customer Support

My 622HZ pops up a warning and shuts down when it too hot. It hasn't done that since I first got it in July and provided it with a little more air. Never-the-less, it periodically has pixelization, out of sync voice and audio, freezes, and re-boots. Customer Support always says the box is too hot and that it is my fault. It is now in low 40'sC all the time now and it still does it. Now that they see low temps they are sending me a new box.

I wonder if the boxes themselves are bad and customer support is just using the heat issue to get us off the phone. My PC CPU is thermo-controlled at a constant 131F and the MB at 124F. Are any of the temperatures we are seeing really that high?

Thanks! I am ordering the Thermaltake USB fan and the EMTC AC-USB power adapter now.

The USB adapter I received from EMTC did not work with the Thermaltake fan. EMTC is not a responsive company and I'm not sure if the device is flawed or if it will not function for this application.

Again...I solved the problem by putting quater inch spacers under each the feet. That raised it just enough to improve the air flow and lower the temperature. Ihad the same problem with my 942. And my unit is in the open with nothing in any of the sides. Totally in the open.

Where did you get the spacers? I have seen them someplace before in an electronic store but can't find them now. I think they were silver color and looked nice, just the right size, made for this cooling purpose, etc. Does anyone have any ideas? I tried searching on line but must not be using the right words. Can't find them. Help Help Thanks

What about using a laptop cooler such as the Vantec Lapcool 3:
http://www.vantecusa.com/product-notebook.html

It would sit under the receiver and power off the usb port... seems like that would be a better looking than sticking a fan on to either side of the unit, too bad dish didn't put a vent in the back that would've been a perfect spot for a exhaust fan to be mounted... the sides seem strange, there is usually less room side to side i'd think than in the rear of a cabinet...

mine is sitting at 123 average... i need to get some cooling on that box summer's coming...

abricko, Have you tried out the Vantec Lapcool. My VIP722 is running too hot to me. I tried out spacers but it is not helping.

If you read this thread, you'll find that the 622 is designed to pull air IN from the right side and send it right to left through the box, which is why we are all putting our exhaust fans on the left vents.

This is left and right as viewed from in front of the front panel.

SO, your fan is actually competing with the internal fans...

I just got the Thermaltake II USB fan and I placed it on the left side, near the rear of the unit, where the it is hottest to the touch. Not long after I put the fan in, blowing the heat out (exhaust) my receiver started to overheat and reboot. In fact, The avg. temp went up four degrees to 120 according to the unit.

I turned the fan around so now the air blows in to the receiver on the left side (the usb side) and it has not rebooted since. I'm still a little puzzled why it started to overheat the way it did with the fan. I also tried to use a self powered USB hub so that I can add a EHD a future time. It worked, but I removed it after it started to overheat.

I just got the Thermaltake II USB fan and I placed it on the left side, near the rear of the unit, where the it is hottest to the touch. Not long after I put the fan in, blowing the heat out (exhaust) my receiver started to overheat and reboot. In fact, The avg. temp went up four degrees to 120 according to the unit.

I turned the fan around so now the air blows in to the receiver on the left side (the usb side) and it has not rebooted since. I'm still a little puzzled why it started to overheat the way it did with the fan. I also tried to use a self powered USB hub so that I can add a EHD a future time. It worked, but I removed it after it started to overheat.

If you look at the left side, you will see that there is not an opening but in a couple places even though there is a grill looking surface. You have to place the fan up in the front of the left side, not the back. The hard drive is in the front and so is the broadcom chip that is cooking the hard drive. This is why you need the fan up front, to cool the broadcom chip. The hard drive is just the only way to see if the temp is going up or down but it is not the problem.

Be sure the left side is the side when you are looking at the front of the dvr.

Extra Cooling

P. Smith has posted pix of the 622HZ here so you can see how the box is laid out. The box has vents in the bottom, all along the left side, and intake vents for the fan tunnel on the right side. The factory fan only runs noticeably when the box reboots.

I had overheating problems at first but none recently. I have the box sitting on an Antec laptop cooler. It pulls air down through it and out on two adjacent sides. I taped over the side vent and have it vent out the front of my entertainment center into the room. I also foam weather-striped so it seals tightly to the bottom of the 622HZ. The cooler has a Low speed and is quiet.

On the right side I affixed a 12v pancake fan over the side intake vents. I blows in and have cut the volts to 7.5 to quiet it. I made and intake tube so it draws fresh air from the room.

On the front left side I affixed a PCI Card slot fan. It pulls air out of the 622HZ and blow it out into the room. The volts are cut to 7.5.

I have two pancake fans mounted to the back of the entertainment center blowing into it to provide a constant positive fresh air flow. The are also voltage reduced. I also blocked the center third of the left side vents so that air would enter more towards the left rear forcing more flow through the box..

The box is plenty cool as the Average Internal Fan Speed is always zero. I'll have to wait til next summer to see if it will do the job when the ambient temps are up.

Wow, good job schneid. So how is the temp now compared to before? Do you have the readings? Thanks for the info. I have to do something. I put spacers under my 722 and the temp went up. Average temp went from 123 to 129 after the spacers were installed.

Average Temps. for Vip622/722

I just set up my ViP 722 and checked readings for base line ....

High - 132F
Low - 32F
Avg. - 105F

Just a note - the fan in the 722 runs at a slow speed all the time !!

I've mounted two Vantec Stealth 80mm fans on left side over openings(1 towards back and 1 up front) ... they are pulling the air out. Unit was very warm/hot to the touch(had hooked up for 2 days) before turning fans on. After the fans were on for about an hour the receiver is only the slightest bit warm now in the back left corner. I'll update number later !!

I just set up my ViP 722 and checked readings for base line ....

High - 132F
Low - 32F
Avg. - 105F

Just a note - the fan in the 722 runs at a slow speed all the time !!

I've mounted two Vantec Stealth 80mm fans on left side over openings(1 towards back and 1 up front) ... they are pulling the air out. Unit was very warm/hot to the touch(had hooked up for 2 days) before turning fans on. After the fans were on for about an hour the receiver is only the slightest bit warm now in the back left corner. I'll update number later !!

Those are good temps, mine has average 114f. I don't think the 722 fan runs all the time, what you are hearing could be the HD, it runs 24/7, unless you un-plug the 722.

Those are good temps, mine has average 114f. I don't think the 722 fan runs all the time, what you are hearing could be the HD, it runs 24/7, unless you un-plug the 722.

Nope ... I used a flash light and looked in the vents ... It's running !!

Attached are my temps. In the Greatroom I installed a laptop cooler on 8 Nov and the temp has gone from 123 average down to 116. Our Greatroom TV area ambient temp is warmer than the other three DVR locations. So just have the one laptop cooler.

Attachments

• DVR Temps.xls
    55 KB · Views: 203
No ... I just noticed it when I shut everything off, so I checked and thought it was the hard drive, but noticed air moving. Got up at like 2:00am one morning and noticed it was still running, so I've kept and eye on it and sure enough the fan is running.

The efficiency of the slow rotation is 0 !

I did more useful test by regulating the speed/voltage/noise - check my other posts.

I know the 500 GB disk putting outside (the internal HDD) of the box ( no cooling at all ) measured 117F max and 94F average in one month run.

I bought the slowest running 120MM computer fan I could find. Cut a hole in the center of the shelf the 622 sits on and mounted the fan on the bottom of the shelf. My entertainment center has an enclosed area with a door just below this shelf. Cut a couple of holes in the back of this area for incoming air. Hooked up an old 12V adapter (who knows what it was originally on :) I had laying around to power the fan. Just checked and it shows: High temp - 109 Low temp 95 Average temp 96. Apparently at some point the 622 resets the temp readings and the 622 has never been turned off since it reset. The room temp is certainly quite a bit cooler than 95 degrees!

I bought the slowest running 120MM computer fan I could find. Cut a hole in the center of the shelf the 622 sits on and mounted the fan on the bottom of the shelf. My entertainment center has an enclosed area with a door just below this shelf. Cut a couple of holes in the back of this area for incoming air. Hooked up an old 12V adapter (who knows what it was originally on :) I had laying around to power the fan. Just checked and it shows: High temp - 109 Low temp 95 Average temp 96. Apparently at some point the 622 resets the temp readings and the 622 has never been turned off since it reset. The room temp is certainly quite a bit cooler than 95 degrees!

Yep on the reset. No one seems to know how the DVRs do their temp procedure. It just all of of sudden changes and then the average doesn't seem to be correct. That is awesome on your 96 average. Wish I could get my DVRs that low. I may disconnect one and take it outside in the snow and then start over.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)