Average 622/722 Temperature thread, Is your's Hot?

I got my 722 down from 122 avg to 116 avg using the Thermatake fan on the left rear corner (facing the 722), also taped over the other vent slots on that side. 722 is in the open and raised a good 1/2" off the deck.
Dan

HIGH:140
LOW114
AVG:129

What should the average temp be? Dose anyone know?

GO CUBS!
It really should be below 120. My current avg temp is at 109 with a laptop cooler underneath. No problems with the DVR for the last two years.

Well, by removing my usb fan and removing the cover, i took my avg temp from 116 to 122 :mad:

New experiment is something smith suggested awhile back. Im leaving the cover off, and have placed my usb fan in the location of the red box, firing air down.
Why can't they just make a slotted top for the Vip722? Then you could easily implement your plan without risking voiding the warranty on a leased receiver. I took my cover off for a few days, but with kids in the house and stuff potentially falling on top of the unit, I had to put it back.

It would be awesome if they'd send 1 slotted top cover to anyone who requested one for their problem units. I'd change mine out and use the original as a baking sheet (since it's so used to being hot!).

My average is aroung 110 with a small case fan on the right or left side - it doesn't really change. I noticed that the temps went up ever since the L618 software was running, but maybe that's just me.

This config seems to be a winner. Low went from 100 to 93 and the avg went from 122 to 118 in two days. I guess it should work since I am jet blasting the broadcom chip. Will prob zip tie down if I like it. Should this thread be a sticky??

IMG00064.jpg

I have been monitoring this thread for months. I setup 4 722's in March and I am glad that I had been reading this forum, and particularly this thread, beforehand. The information has been great and I hope to avoid a french fried 722.

I have various types of cooling on all of my 722's. Average temperatures range from 98 to 109 depending on the weather, cabinet and the room (I wish the diagnostics screen had instant temperature).

As I was fiddling with a fan this morning it suddenly hit me that what I was doing was kind of nuts. Having to jump through hoops to work around inadequate cooling was not a DISH "feature" that I expected.

I find myself thinking about dumping DISH and switching to Direct just to avoid the "flame on" aspects of the DVR's. I don't know what the issues with the Direct DVR's (HR2x??) are, but overheating doesn't appear to be one of them (plus they seem to power all the way down and don't have a constant large current draw).

I'm just curious if any veterans of the 622/722 cooling wars have ever entertained similar thoughts?

Does anyone know if DISH monitors this thread? What about cooling on the 922, any improvements? Just curious.

Dish is thinking our discoveries are too low for them, they are don't pay attention, just continue their own old trend of design low cost devices ie likes we are self sufficient and customers must do what we want.

I find myself thinking about dumping DISH and switching to Direct just to avoid the "flame on" aspects of the DVR's. I don't know what the issues with the Direct DVR's (HR2x??) are, but overheating doesn't appear to be one of them (plus they seem to power all the way down and don't have a constant large current draw).

Well, it would cost you $300.00 or more to lease three additional. If you use OTA, add $50.00 per. You would quickly be bashing them regarding their slow response time and having to reboot a lot. Plus if you watch lots of movies, you won't like it there due to far less HD premiums.

After 3 yrs, my 622 numbers are as follows:

As of 7-15-09

High 113
Low 89
Average 104

My fan is sitting on the left side of the unit leaning at a 35' angle against the power supply board, like this [ / ], blowing under the hard drive with the cover off.

The internal fan never runs except for hard/soft resets. I feel that if it werent for the extra cooling, it would have failed prematurely a LONG time ago. I should RMA it though since the internal modem was fried last month. Still waiting for 922 though.

DIRECTV HD DVRS are not a whole lot better in the convection oven department even without the OTA tuners.

Placement is everything.

I have toyed with the idea of removing the cover(s) and drilling many holes in the top to let the heat rise up. Crude. Would it work?

Why can't they just make a slotted top for the Vip722? Then you could easily implement your plan without risking voiding the warranty on a leased receiver. I took my cover off for a few days, but with kids in the house and stuff potentially falling on top of the unit, I had to put it back.

It would be awesome if they'd send 1 slotted top cover to anyone who requested one for their problem units. I'd change mine out and use the original as a baking sheet (since it's so used to being hot!).

My average is aroung 110 with a small case fan on the right or left side - it doesn't really change. I noticed that the temps went up ever since the L618 software was running, but maybe that's just me.

This config seems to be a winner. Low went from 100 to 93 and the avg went from 122 to 118 in two days. I guess it should work since I am jet blasting the broadcom chip. Will prob zip tie down if I like it. Should this thread be a sticky??

IMG00064.jpg

I LOVE IT. It should be named the "Haney". :)

Seriously though, my 21 month old 722 died a horrific death this past week. Temps were fine (with my dual fans) but the hard drive crashed (error 311). It could've been from previously high temps or just a bad drive.

Anyway, Dish was pretty good about not hasseling me with flow chart troubleshooting. The CSR pretty much agreed that the 722 hard drive was dying a horrific death. That being said a new 722 was delivered within 48 hours. The installation of the new DVR was not pretty and setup took a bit longer than expected, including some shenanigans getting the receiver activated. According to another CSR anyone who subscribes to pay-per-view packages (i.e. Center Ice League Pass, etc) cannot activate new receivers online or with the automated phone system. After activation most of my channels still didn't show up and had to have the receiver "hit" again. After an hour and a half everything was back up to speed and looking good. I then installed my dual fan unit.

I have attached my log of dvr temps to this post.

Happy DVR'ing.

Attachments

• VIP722 temps.xls
    15.5 KB · Views: 85
Well,

91 is new low and avg is 114. This method is working well, wonder how low itll go.

Hey Elway,

It takes a good while for temps to lower to a steady holding point. They'll generally drop between 18-20 degrees from the highest average temp. Depending on the cooling power of your fan and the temperature of your house it could take a month or more for the DVR to reach its "cruising temp".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)