Average 622/722 Temperature thread, Is your's Hot?

I suspect that this is too high but it's in a well ventilated area and the summer temps push 100 here regularly...
Having low temperatures that are in excess of 20 degrees above the outdoor temperature suggests you're mistaken about being "well ventilated". Blowing hot air on something isn't an effective method of cooling either.

These numbers suggest that the indoor temperature is consistently in the high 80s or 90s. Is the receiver resting out in the open or is it ensconced in an enclosure of some sort (hemmed in on two or more sides)? One person's free breathing is a machine's early death if it shares an environment with laser devices and amplifiers.

Last edited:
Having low temperatures that are in excess of 20 degrees above the outdoor temperature suggests you're mistaken about being "well ventilated". Blowing hot air on something isn't an effective method of cooling either.

These numbers suggest that the indoor temperature is consistently in the high 80s or 90s. Is the receiver resting out in the open or is it ensconced in an enclosure of some sort (hemmed in on two or more sides)? One person's free breathing is a machine's early death if it shares an environment with laser devices and amplifiers.

It's sitting on a glass tv rack - with no sides or top.

I see people mention tilting open the back of the case to lower temps, but would that void the warranty? Or are there no tamper-proof mechanisms (like tape, etc. ) in the area of this mod?

I am getting concerned about my 722 because it has had some recent quirks:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/188062-722-jerky-hd-playback-audio-fine.html
http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...an-i-determine-what-caused-my-722-reboot.html

It wont and is very easy. My down firing fan got me from 114 to 93 on avg.

Does anyone have some information on how accurate these temp sensors are?

I put an external fan on the left side of the new 722k about one month ago, and now the cover of the case is cool to the touch. But the average temp has only dropped from 120 to 116.

The 722 unit is hot to the touch, and the average temp reads 120.

I know my hand is not all that accurate, but there is more than a 4 degree difference in these two units.....

BTW, I have ordered another fan for the 722.

Any thoughts?

Does anyone have some information on how accurate these temp sensors are?

I put an external fan on the left side of the new 722k about one month ago, and now the cover of the case is cool to the touch. But the average temp has only dropped from 120 to 116.

The 722 unit is hot to the touch, and the average temp reads 120.

I know my hand is not all that accurate, but there is more than a 4 degree difference in these two units.....

BTW, I have ordered another fan for the 722.

Any thoughts?

They are quite accurate. But they are not measuring case temperature but temperature on the HDD. The design near the drive is not great for air flow.

So my drive died after going on vacation. I forgot to unplug my receiver and it must have overheated. I just ordered one of the side cooling fans recommended by you guys. My question is, when I call Dish, will they send me a receiver or will they send a tech out? I have the Dish Protection Plan or whatever...

When you call Dish, they will setup delivery of another receiver and you put the dead one in the box it comes in to ship it back with the label they will also provide.

Additional mod to my original one with big fan

Decide go further and made a big cut at top of HDD/fan holder.

It should help increase airflow on top [hot] surface of the disk.

If someone will follow, be sure you make right cuts for two flaps (those four flaps are for holding the disk underneath) - I messed up with one, it should be in position what I marked by black lines, so short original notches ( marked by red ) should point into middle of those two flaps on top the picture.

Unfortunately, original holder doesn't have vertical connection from fan's tunnel to main part what holding HDD, so after the mod it become flimsy. For reinforce it I added two right angled strips (what was leftovers after top cut) hold by four self-tapped screws ( marked by red on second picture).

Last picture shows assembled back 622 with modded holder, fan and HDD.

Attachments

• 622holder2m.JPG
    622holder2m.JPG
    17.7 KB · Views: 232
  • 622holder1m.JPG
    622holder1m.JPG
    13.6 KB · Views: 242
  • 622holder3m.JPG
    622holder3m.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 294
Found this fan from a post in the 622 HDD replacement thread. Newegg.com - Thermaltake A2376 Aluminum HDD Cooling Fan - Hard Drive Cooling
This could be the low cost solution that we have been looking for. I asked the OP to post his temps in this thread.

A couple of issues with this solution:

1. You have to open your receiver. Won't work for leased machines.

2. This sits on top of the HD and MAY cool it but the reason the HD is hot in the first place is the Broadcom chipset sitting directly underneath it cooking it.

A better solution for those who are willing to open their receiver is a heatsink/heatpipe combo adhered to the broadcom chipset with thermal epoxy. This will redirect the heat away from the HD and prevent early failure.

A couple of issues with this solution:

1. You have to open your receiver. Won't work for leased machines.

2. This sits on top of the HD and MAY cool it but the reason the HD is hot in the first place is the Broadcom chipset sitting directly underneath it cooking it.

A better solution for those who are willing to open their receiver is a heatsink/heatpipe combo adhered to the broadcom chipset with thermal epoxy. This will redirect the heat away from the HD and prevent early failure.

Understand what you are saying. I think I would try to mount it externally somehow, maybe with velcro. Also, maybe even paint it black.

My average temp was 114F. I removed cover from the reciever and temp dropped to 100F after 1 week. I have leased 722 and it's 20 months old.

...A better solution for those who are willing to open their receiver is a heatsink/heatpipe combo adhered to the broadcom chipset with thermal epoxy. This will redirect the heat away from the HD and prevent early failure.
That was my take as well. Look at my post #646 in this thread for more info / photos (pg. 65, dated 2/29/09). I didn't use thermal epoxy - just the heatsink grease is holding the 2 heatsinks onto that chip. Since the unit doesn't move around I don't expect any issues with that mounting method. I just have to remember to keep it level if I move it! I made the mod. this way so I can remove all traces of it in case I need to send the unit back. I own the 622, but since I haven't done anything to move the HDD I haven't broken any of the seals that would be a sure sign of tampering...

I had other plans to mount a bank of fans externally on the left side of the unit sucking the air out, but I never went that far. I'd also have to find a way to filter that air where it entered the unit (several places) to keep the dust accumulation to a minimum, and that would require periodic cleaning of the filters, etc. Probably too much hassle for minimal added benefit...

Last edited:
My average temp was 114F. I removed cover from the reciever and temp dropped to 100F after 1 week. I have leased 722 and it's 20 months old.
After 10 days of removal of cover the average temp. dropped to 96F. I think I'll just keep cover open. I see no problem with this since I have no kids or pets in the house.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)