Average 622/722 Temperature thread, Is your's Hot?

bhelms

Retired & lovin' it!
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 26, 2006
Central PA
...IMO this chip could really use a heat sink - but what do I know?
I agree, related to a 622. See my post #646 in this thread! (I'm showing it on page 65 of 95, YMMV.) FWIW, the same receiver pictured there has been running 24/7 since May '06 (>40,000 hrs). My HDMI port failed somewhere along the way (only noticed it about a year ago; I'm using component connections most of the time). But the HDD is still running strong (KoW !!!)...

Last edited:

Lbethane

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Jan 14, 2009
arizona

Those look like what I need. Just for clarification, a three questions: 1. Does the air form the fans blow into the vents or pull air from vents? 2. Do the fans attach to the receiver or are they just sitting against the side? 3. Do the fans plug into an electrical outlet or the uSB port of the receiver?

These fans actually look like a computer fan. Is that what they are??

Dah-Henny

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 12, 2007
Boone, North Carolina
1. Does the air form the fans blow into the vents or pull air from vents?
It pulls air out, right to left.
2. Do the fans attach to the receiver or are they just sitting against the side?
Attached with adhesive pads.
3. Do the fans plug into an electrical outlet or the uSB port of the receiver?
Electrical outlet.
These fans actually look like a computer fan. Is that what they are??
Pretty much.

3HaloODST

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 2, 2010
Earth
It would probably be better dust-wise to have fans blowing in as opposed to pulling air out.

3HaloODST

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 2, 2010
Earth
Right, but my point was having positive airflow as opposed to negative airflow tends to be less dusty.

Jhon69

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 19, 2006
Central San Joaquin Valley,CA.
Is this considered too hot? (using 722k)

High Temp: 140
Low Temp: 113
Average Temp: 125

I don't believe it is,it's the average temp that should concern you and by your post it's only a little higher temp than mine and mine works great!.:)

Now if your average temp get's close to your high temp you posted you will probably notice because it will start rebooting and have hangups.Then you will know your problem is related to the heat.;)

3HaloODST

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 2, 2010
Earth
That's probably true,but not for sleepwise.;)

Yeah personally I don't think it's necessary to add fans to the receivers. The only time I think it would be necessary is if you have the receiver in an enclosed space, in which case it makes more logical sense to have a fan blowing cool air in through the enclosed space rather than having a fan directly attached to the receiver.

upsss

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 24, 2010
AZ
The "High" temperature is the critical value not the "Average". You can have fairly low average temp. but if the "High" temp. is too high you may experience problems.

dwarren2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 30, 2003
Rochester, NY Region
The "High" temperature is the critical value not the "Average". You can have fairly low average temp. but if the "High" temp. is too high you may experience problems.

My 722 was reporting a high in the mid 130;s an average of mid 120's after I replaced a unit that started overheating in early Feb. I hung a small cage fan from my theater stand blowing air down the right side as you face it from the front. Today h/l/a is 122/102/113. So the numbers readjust as time goes by.

upsss

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 24, 2010
AZ
My average number is a simple mathematical average between High and Low. Based on the numbers reported here, it looks like some of the averages ARE also a simple average and some are NOT, so maybe there is more to it, like software/hardware combination. In any case, as I said before that is not the critical number, it is the High number that is important.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)