Average 622/722 Temperature thread, Is your's Hot?

I have tried a bunch of different fans and ideas, this one seems to be the most efficient and the quietest.

blower.JPG

They go for about $6 on eBay. I used double sided tape and taped it to the left end corner (over the vent slots in the case) of my 722 with the exhaust port facing out the back (sucking hot air out of the receiver). The only problem is that these fans come with a regular PC connector so you have to cut it and solder a USB connector to it (make sure you use a 5V blower that draws less than 0.5A).

My 722, which is a replacement unit from DISH that I have had for about two months (prior unit would not hold the extended program guide beyond one day) went south today. Ever since I had it, I noticed that the fan always seemed to be running, even when not recording. This morning I turned on the telly and got the '355' message, indicating the box was running too hot. On screen temp read 136. It is on an open rack, with nothing on top, so gotta figure a bad box, or bad re-hab. Getting a replacement sent, but, in the meantime, can't watch the early airing of the Tour de France during breakfast.

Hey guys, Im fixing to add a MT2 to my 722k, and I know it adds heat. Awhile back when I got my first 722k/MT2 I had the cover off and the Thermaltake blowing down on the chip, which kept it real cool. Im fixing to order a new fan and was wondering thoughts on these two. I kinda like the 120x120 and was going to zip tie it to the top of the 722k.

Amazon.com: Thermaltake Mobile Fan II External USB Cooling Fan - Us: Electronics

Amazon.com: Coolerguys 120x120x25mm USB Fan with Grill: Electronics

Hey guys, Im fixing to add a MT2 to my 722k, and I know it adds heat. Awhile back when I got my first 722k/MT2 I had the cover off and the Thermaltake blowing down on the chip, which kept it real cool. Im fixing to order a new fan and was wondering thoughts on these two. I kinda like the 120x120 and was going to zip tie it to the top of the 722k.

Amazon.com: Thermaltake Mobile Fan II External USB Cooling Fan - Us: Electronics

I used two Thermaltake Mobile fans on one DVR in the past and it worked good. I now use this model on two of my 722ks and they also work good.

Dish VIP 722 / 622 / 612 Dual-fan Cooling System | eBay

I use the Thermaltake. It is positioned on the left side to pull the air from my 622. It has been working great for about two years now.

In my ent center, it would be tight with then on the side, may hurt their flow. This is reason a couple of years ago I took the top off and had the fan fire down. Was able to keep temps around 100 IIRC. Looking at doing the same with my TiVo Premier.

In my ent center, it would be tight with then on the side, may hurt their flow. This is reason a couple of years ago I took the top off and had the fan fire down. Was able to keep temps around 100 IIRC. Looking at doing the same with my TiVo Premier.

IC, the Thermaltake Mobile Fan should work great.

If you are going to remove the cover then I would definitely pick the larger one, 120mm.

I've had the cover removed, but it's so tight the AVG is running 127. I just installed the 1200rpm Coolerguys fan last night. The from that runs back to front, that has some open area above the chip, is where I mounted it. I used to have the Thermaltake here on my older model and it did well. I used zip ties to secure it, and its whisper quiet. Be curious to see how the temp comes down, I may do the same on my Tivo.

elwaylite, unplug your receiver for about a hour and let it cool off. That will reset the Low and Avg temp, unfortunately the High temp will NOT be reset. After that, it will take more than a month for the High temp to slowly update.

Really? Did not know the hour would do it. I did remember the Avg would update daily, after each dial in IIRC.

When I pull it back out Friday to put the OTA tuner in, Ill take a picture. It's kinda funny, looks like it is ready for a vertical take off and landing.

I have a 722 in a home theater rack with ventilation on all side and it was still running at 140 degree High and 125 Low. So I installed a Thermaltake USB mini -fan in the back about 2 months ago and checked the temp a couple of times since and my High is now 125 and Low around 112 with a 119 average.

I have a 722 in a home theater rack with ventilation on all side and it was still running at 140 degree High and 125 Low. So I installed a Thermaltake USB mini -fan in the back about 2 months ago and checked the temp a couple of times since and my High is now 125 and Low around 112 with a 119 average.
More than half the problems with these receivers is due to internal overheating. If you just breathe to much they overheat.

Got the MT2 installed today, really great having the ability to record on 4 tuners at once and then store them on a ehd.

Took picture of the fan, avg temp has dropped from 127 to 123 in two days.

image-3097068343.jpg

Just reporting my numbers in this old thread for the benefit of others comparison purposes:

Before installing fan: High:138 Low:111 Avg: 123
2 weeks after installing fan: High:132 Low:111 Avg:118
Ambient room temp: 78-79 (gotta love Florida)

dare2be said:
Just reporting my numbers in this old thread for the benefit of others comparison purposes:

Before installing fan: High:138 Low:111 Avg: 123
2 weeks after installing fan: High:132 Low:111 Avg:118
Ambient room temp: 78-79 (gotta love Florida)

Do you have your fan blowing into device/cabinet or sucking out device/cabinet?