AVG Update Installs Toolbar Automatically

DodgerKing

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
SoCal
For those using AVG 9 Free addition, the latest update will add the AVG Yahoo Toolbar even if you uncheck the option to add the toolbar during installation. There is no uninstall option once it is installed. It will install it on all of your browsers. You can only disable it.

The only way to remove the toolbar is to remove the toolbar file in C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\Toolbar. Remove the whole Toolbar folder.

This has been the case for some time. I discovered it several months ago. The worst is that even when you disable it, the Yahoo search becomes your default, even when you select Google. This happens when you open a new tab but not on the first tab launch. I have not figured out how to disable it and return to Google. So, if I want a Google search on a second + tab I need to launch the tab as Yahoo and then click on the home button to bring up Google.

I had a similar issue with my browser on my PDA. As it is MS winMoble the last update from Verizon changed the default search from my Google to Bing. I have changed it back and it keeps reverting to Bing on its own. Maybe its time I get an Android phone. :(

I've switched to Microsoft Security Essentials, but yeah, used Avast and AVG on various systems until then with few/no problems.

AVG always seemed like the heaviest, but seemed to be getting intrusive with requests to update and if I remember correctly started nagging me with ads for the premium or something... that's what got me to switch.

Although not well-known here in the states, I just wanted to mention the folks at Comodo make a variety of products available free-of-charge for home and home office users. Their AV is better than most but not as good as the aforementioned products. Additionally, some of their other products are pretty good...and they are FREE!

Free Desktop PC Security - Free Downloads Keep your PC Safe | Comodo

Just changed to Avast on one computer. I will see how it works on here before I switch over on the other computers.

I recently experienced the same thing with AVG, the intrusiveness of its constant adverts for upgrade and changed to MS Security Essentials and I am doing much better now...

Still satisfied with my change from AVG to MS Security Essentials, now I can add my satisfaction for real time protection with MS SE

Any chance of PC overheating?

Widescreen monitor question

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)