Widescreen monitor question

smokey982

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
Cleveland, TN (Chattanooga Market)
I currently use a standard 19" LCD monitor (4x3). But would like to upgrade to a bigger widescreen monitor. But I use a small widescreen monitor at work and it basically just stretches everything which I do not like. I assume I'll get the same results at home with any widescreen monitor I buy? I guess if I don't want black bars down both sides of the screen, then stretching is the only option??

The computer - OS, video card and driver - must be able to handle the monitor.
Unless you run Linux (a very old version) or Windows 95/98, you shouldn't have problems driving a widescreen monitor with 1:1 pixel mapping.

If you are using a laptop and dock it at work - make sure it is off when docking.
Otherwise it tries to run the external monitor at the same resolution as its own screen (with clone setup).

Diogen.

I think my work computer is running windows 2000. Maybe that's why the picture looks so bad. But my home computer Is running Vista, so it should look fine? I didn't know if I needed a PC with a HDMI output, or something similar.

I have used a Wide screen monitor and from what I know the info above is good. If your video card and operating system support it there will be no issue.

Just wnated to toss out another though. I do not use a wide screen any more becasue I find that a dual monitor system is much more usefull. If you are watching a lot of video that is in wide screen format and you are watching it full screen then by all meens go for it but I di not use my PC for that. If you are just looking for more glass space a dual monitor setup some thought. You conn't get me to give up this setup for anything. Full screen use of two aplications at once. If I only really need one then I have outlook always up on one glass.

The only thing I wish I could do that I can't is with Excel. If you can run two full screens at once of excel I don't know how to do it. You can with Word and I use it and it makes it al lthe more frustrating that MS doesn't do the same with Excel.

...I find that a dual monitor system is much more usefull.
I think so, too. But the setup is more demanding.
The desktop has to have a video card capable of running two monitors independently.
The laptop needs a docking station with the same capabilities.

But on the other hand, you might get those two monitors for free since other people around upgrade to widescreen...:)

Diogen.

Smartest thing I ever did was move to a 24" widescreen monitor. I can see two reports side by side, something that greatly simplifies my work. I can run wide spreadsheets. I can copy and paste between two or more open windows.

FWIW, I bought an ASUS VW246H for use at the office. And then bought one for a coworker. Then one for my wife. Then another one for my home machine.

Your video card s/w should give you appropriate options for driving a widescreen with no stretch. Most will auto detect now anyway, and set themselves up. Mine runs at 1920x1080. 32 bit color, 60Hz (of course). ATI Radeon HD4600 card.

I'd try and change the resolution at work if things appear stretched.

Otherwise, you'll have to pry my 24" Dell out of my cold dead hands, I've had this thing for 5 years and will never go back.

That and the 19" next to it give me the best of both worlds, I <3 dual monitors too.

I have been thinking about getting a new widescreen monitor for the same reason navychop did, just so I can put stuff side by side without having to buy 2 monitors.

I say go for dual widescreens. I have 2 24" widescreens that I run.

Right now I am running 2 Acer P243W screens for the desktop, and on the other leg of the desk I have an 18" laptop(HP mobile workstation) with an acer H243H monitor to run it in dual mode. Only downside is as the day goes on, I have to turn the air down or it gets hot in here. When the boss asks what I am doing through the day, I always tell him I am working on my sun tan.

AVG Update Installs Toolbar Automatically

Amazon introduces the Kindle 3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts