Avoid Direct TV HD tax

Status
Please reply by conversation.

woljr

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 17, 2005
There is one easy way to avoid Direct TV Hd football tax. Buy an antenna, put it on roof or in the attic and watch Football in HD. YOu will not get all the games but you will get enough to satisfy. The picture quality will be better and it is free.

woljr said:
There is one easy way to avoid Direct TV Hd football tax. Buy an antenna, put it on roof or in the attic and watch Football in HD. YOu will not get all the games but you will get enough to satisfy. The picture quality will be better and it is free.

I live in an area where I can't use an antenna. I can't get it up high enough AND i'm on the very fringes of the broadcast area yet still fall inside the Indianapolis market.

so it's satellite, cable, or nothing.

woljr said:

Gee, what a brilliant idea!

What would you suggest to well over half the country that cannot receive HD OTA reliably?

guffy1 said:
Gee, what a brilliant idea!

What would you suggest to well over half the country that cannot receive HD OTA reliably?

I would suggest you consider moving to anywhere suburbia USA and receive 20 or more digital signals overnight.///

Plywodstatebum said:
Get the national feeds there cheaper than moving

The "local" stations can (and likely will) deny you a waver to receive the national feeds in HD unless you are truely way out in the sticks. I think you have to be pretty far away for them to bless you. I'm in the process of groveling at the feet of a local station that has my entire chance of seeing Fox HD in their hands. I'm 90 miles from their city and at least 50 miles away from their nearest commercial sponser. I wouldn't drive that far to buy their products if they were giving them away. I hate that they have that control over my HD fate.

woljr said:

good if you want to watch a local team...but not if you want to watch an out of market game....

but good try

asousa said:
good if you want to watch a local team...but not if you want to watch an out of market game....

but good try

Depends on how far away your team is - and how big an antenna you put up. ;)

woljr said:
I would suggest you consider moving to anywhere suburbia USA and receive 20 or more digital signals overnight.///

I live in a town of over 60,000 people, far from anything close to the stix...

Our local ABC does not broadcast in HD, and neither does FOX...

NBC I can pick up fine in HD, CBSHD tower is 40 miles from my house at super low power, cant pick it up with a 50 foot antenna...

Again, I live in the city limits of a town with a population of over 60,000...Suburbia as you say....

Like I said before, well over half the counrty cannot pick up a reliable OTA signal, and/or cannot get all of the networks via OTA HD even if they are in suburbia...

Thats nothing but a bunch of nonsense...

guffy1 said:
I live in a town of over 60,000 people, far from anything close to the stix...

Our local ABC does not broadcast in HD, and neither does FOX...

NBC I can pick up fine in HD, CBSHD tower is 40 miles from my house at super low power, cant pick it up with a 50 foot antenna...

Again, I live in the city limits of a town with a population of over 60,000...Suburbia as you say....

Like I said before, well over half the counrty cannot pick up a reliable OTA signal, and/or cannot get all of the networks via OTA HD even if they are in suburbia...

Thats nothing but a bunch of nonsense...

___ Things are changing due to FCC mandate. I would not be surprized if your network stations go HD next year. You will just have to wait as i had to wait. A year ago i did not have ABC nor Fox in HD. I had ABC in time for the World Series and FOX for the pro football season.

We have to promote an alternative to Satellite or they will charge us a premium for each HD channel. With VOOM gone there is no competition for HD. We have to promote OTA reception for HD.

woljr said:
___ Things are changing due to FCC mandate. I would not be surprized if your network stations go HD next year. You will just have to wait as i had to wait. A year ago i did not have ABC nor Fox in HD. I had ABC in time for the World Series and FOX for the pro football season.

We have to promote an alternative to Satellite or they will charge us a premium for each HD channel. With VOOM gone there is no competition for HD. We have to promote OTA reception for HD.

Im all for it my man....

Right now there are just too many people that cant get it though, so its not that viable of an option

I am told that my ABC chanell will broadcast in full HD within the next year..

FOX by sometime in 2007..lol

And CBS' low power signal, havent heard a peep about when that will ever change, I may never be able to pull that in...

Oh yeah, PBSHD is supposed to be up and running in my area anyday now Im told...

I am actually looking forward to that...

They were up for some testing a few months back and it looked great!

Im in Traverse City, MI if anyones wondering....

A nice sized city with little to no OTA HD...lame...lame...lame

the FCC mandate says that the broadcast must be digital, that does not mean necessarily HD. Even if the content is HD, a local affilate could still broadcast in SD

You people kill me. They are providing a service. You have to pay for service. If you take your whining to the ridiculous extreme-they should give you everything for free. Has everyone forgotten it was a short time ago that we couold only get three games on a Saturday morning and were completely hostage to what the local affiliate's program director and the NFL's rules wanted to show. All of you guys threatening t cancel and go to a sports bar to watch the games. Will you really be able to spend a season of Sundays in a sports bar(without HD I am sure) and spend less than the cost of Sunday Ticket(even with HD cost)? No freakin' way.

Everything in this world costs money.
If you want to see the games-pay the price.
If you don't want to pay the price -stop your whining and cancel the service.

Let the idiotic flaming begin. Burn me morons burn me.

srjewettlaw said:
You people kill me. They are providing a service. You have to pay for service. If you take your whining to the ridiculous extreme-they should give you everything for free. Has everyone forgotten it was a short time ago that we couold only get three games on a Saturday morning and were completely hostage to what the local affiliate's program director and the NFL's rules wanted to show. All of you guys threatening t cancel and go to a sports bar to watch the games. Will you really be able to spend a season of Sundays in a sports bar(without HD I am sure) and spend less than the cost of Sunday Ticket(even with HD cost)? No freakin' way.

Everything in this world costs money.
If you want to see the games-pay the price.
If you don't want to pay the price -stop your whining and cancel the service.

Let the idiotic flaming begin. Burn me morons burn me.
Not here to flame you ... just to state some facts.

This is the first time in 3 years that D* has tried (I did say tried) to charge for the HD format. The games have been provided at no cost for the last two seasons, even if they did only have the one game two seasons ago. When things are provided at no cost (other than drugs) it is expected that there will not be charges in the future.

D* is NOT charging customers who had the package last year and request to not be charged.

The service they are providing, everything in the super fan pack but the HD games, are probably worth the fee, but those with HD only equipment cannot use the interactive features. So it boils down to charging HD customer for something that has been free and something se can't use. Its a 2 part equation.

I don't think anyone, at least here, has a problem with the $99, $49 or $19 for SuperFan, our problem is the HD games being the the SuperFan "product line."

We do pay and pay dearly ($180USD - $239USD) for the games. Since the NFL's games are ALL in HD as of last year, the NFL is already sending D* and HD signal ... which they must carry and process. Charging more is not right and they know it. This is why loyal subs like me received the package from free this year ... and you know what, I wont utilize a single SuperFan pack (other then HD) because my equipment (HR10-250) will not allow it.

Yeah just what I want to do Watch the JETS & GIANTS every week. That is why I have the ST to begin with so I have a choice. Some times you have to pay for a choice and to me it is worth it. I have not ordered superfan yet I may or may not but I will keep ST for sure.

Ota HD

Ota hd is awesome, people whi cant get ota hd are probably using and crappy cheap 59 dollar antenna in an attic, you need a conventional outdoor antenna on a roof outside to have good success, as for the low power digital stuff, fcc mandated by the end of july 2005 all digital staions must go full power.

Actually , the Fcc mandated that the top 100 dmas go full power on digital transmissions by July 1, 2005. The other 110 dmas have untill July 1, 2006.

Status
Please reply by conversation.