Awake

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
iTunes has the pilot of NBC's new show Awake available for free download in HD, so I gave it a whirl. I am disappointed it is on NBC (the sure sign that it won't last) because I really enjoyed the first episode. The show has the main character switching realities from one where his wife has died in a car crash and he is raising his son, to one where his son has died, and he and his wife are putting the pieces back together. He is aware of both realities. And of course, he is a homicide detective, and there are cross-overs from each reality as he solves crimes.

Its creative, and its smart. And well done. I loved how in one reality all the computers are PCs, and in the other, they are all Macs.

Alas, its from NBC, so I am not getting my hopes up.

I have been waiting for this show for months as I expressed my interest last Fall in this show in a previous thread. Very cool show and really looking forward to it. It is an interesting twist that I have not seen in any other show. It's something different. And yeah, your right, it probably will get canned because its too good to be true.

I don't think I will bother with this show. It won't last long. To much thinking involved in keeping both realities straight. Tv is not about working that hard, it is about vegging out and relaxing. Same reason why most sci-fi tv shows don't make it long term. To much thinking to do and most average viewers just want to be entertained without thinking at all. Solve the problem in a quick 60- minutes or possibly 120 - 2 parter episode. Trying to keep this show straight and in the proper context would drive me crazy.

I liked it, going to set a timer as Fridays are dead anyway and sooner or later NBC has to blunder into a hit.
Only problem is it's on Thursday as I found when I set a timer for... (since the exodus of CSI & Survivor to Wednesday and the demise of Earl and Prime Suspect I have only the guys night in stuff on HDNet late & Jay on thursdays ;))

They can twist the show into anything to where he would finally realize which is a dream or thought he knew which one was a dream or thought one was a dream but really wasnt. Heck maybe it would all be a dream and he wake up and they are both dead.

They can twist the show into anything to where he would finally realize which is a dream or thought he knew which one was a dream or thought one was a dream but really wasnt. Heck maybe it would all be a dream and he wake up and they are both dead.

Or maybe they are both alive, AND HE is dead. You know, a little Sixth Sense! I could not help thinking that possibility. :)

Okay, I had time to watch the Pilot and the second episode over the weekend and...well, I'm sure if I like it. It seems interesting at times, but then again I get lost in the story. Perhaps it had something to do with the time change and having a my eyes dilated? Anyway, it's worth checking-out again next weekend.

I loved the end of the second episode - pointing out clearly there is something going on. I like it, but am not keeping my hopes up for NBC to keep it.

You have to follow the show VERY closely to be able to catch what is going on. It is very mentally taxing for the average Joe 6 pack to keep up with. Just like sci-fi shows that make you actually think, it is not for everyone. It will be cancelled. Average American wants the show wrapped up in 60 minutes or less and they don't want a continuing story arc. They want to be able to tune in any week and see the show and not feel like they missed something. To me I 'm the exact opposite. I love shows like Fringe that make you have to think and I don't mind a continuing arc, but I'm not the average Joe 6pack viewer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)