Awesome Directv headend I'm building for a hotel

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I would imagine essentially yes....

A fifth coax line from the linear LNB on the 95W dish to one of the two available available flexport connectors on the DTV6PWRPOL-02 polarity locker. Then the output from that unit to another 1 x 4 splitter (for a total of five now mounted on that board) to feed one of the flexports on each of the four SWiM-16s

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk
Correct, just a line off the 95 into flex 1 of the locker amps whatever, then split to flex 1 of all swm16s.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

how would that work? a 2nd satellite dish? because afaik they're not using any new positions so you couldnt add in a side cart like the current world direct dish.

how would that work? a 2nd satellite dish? because afaik they're not using any new positions so you couldnt add in a side cart like the current world direct dish.
This has been discussed before, and still calls for some speculation for how DIRECTV intends to bring Reverse Band to the MDU, hospitality, and lodging markets. But from everything I can tell, the idea to retask the flexports for RB would require a new legacy style Slimline LNB with more than four outputs, perhaps six. And as a result need a redesigned Slimline ODU with at least a wider LNB support arm with a larger flared yoke end to fit the LNB and straight section to easily allow another twin coax run through it to the two flexports.

You can then use frequency stacking on each flexport cable for the odd and even xpndr sets of 99(cr) and 103(cr).

Also to reassign the flexports this way, the WD service at 95W must be mirrored to somewhere on the 99-103W group of course.

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk

ImageUploadedBySatelliteGuys1459210613.959428.jpg

Just uploaded the logo to the guide today.

I notice those Comcast commercials in Detroit area. I am surprised that Dtv has not responded

Just wanted to share some pics of this awesome headend in working on building in my office.

Got a 4 foot rack from P10 and built a custom top to hold the monitor and keyboard.

I added a 19 inch television connected to a Technicolor DTA to monitor the feed on the Com2000.

Also added a mini computer and a keyboard and mouse to provide onsite access to the Com2000.

UPS battery backup for surge protection.

Also built a custom board for all the SWM switches.

All I need to do to install this is drop 4 lines from the Dish, hook up my main feeds to the rooms, connect to the Internet for remote access and plug it in.
View attachment 113958View attachment 113959 View attachment 113960View attachment 113961View attachment 113962View attachment 113963View attachment 113964 View attachment 113965View attachment 113966View attachment 113967View attachment 113968View attachment 113969View attachment 113970View attachment 113971
Looks like you have an HVAC in the headend. I used to put headends in, in the old C-band days. Have done lots of maintenance on both Dish and Directv headends. I've stopped lately doing those or even computer headends. Health issues w/my neck makes it too painful these days. If they ever do my surgery may do some of the PC stuff again probably no more sat. Doing my home headend for fun is enuff. Looks like a clean job, kudos to you.

Last edited:
I think they will design an LNB with 5 or 6 mini coax pig tails.

They really need a larger version of the slimline dish that can be used in commercial applications.
I would like a larger version dish to use for my home set-up. I like bigger for less rain fade issues. That's the reason I tinkered w/the elliptical prime star dish w/Directv LNB. I got all the sat OK, but gain I was getting wasn't worth spending a whole lot of time peaking all the sats on it. So just said screw it.

The akhi dish is the only thing that will give you a legit gain without sacrafice, and as of now there's no reverseband support for that

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Being the Luddite that I am & not really understanding what I am seeing, would you ever use fiber optic cable or does it just depend on the particular installation? Also, what particular channels would they get from that set-up?
Speaking only for the cabling, at the moment, coaxial cable (cable TV wiring) is the preferred medium of choice when it comes to installations like this. Reasons include the fact that it's easier to handle coaxial cabling versus fiber optic wiring (less likely to break copper than glass), and if you ever need to splice the wiring, that's far easier with coax. Further, coaxial cable is more than capable of handling the bandwidth requirements for receiver channeling back and forth from and to the dish (yes, multi-decades-old technology is still quite useful!).

This person's setup really ought to be considered the textbook case for such setups. The pieces are laid out logically, the wiring is not a "rat's nest" and is appropriately channeled and tied down, there appears to be reasonable documentation of what's what, the SWiMs are given room to "breath" (not get too hot), and it appears to work :)

Reactions: navychop
I hate to say it, but if you tighten the text on that old blue guide to make 3 hours fit on today's larger TVs, I'd take that old thing over what we have now :)

I wish all hotels would do things right like this if they're going to. I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express this week with a very antiquated DirecTV headend system. Only a few HD channels, and several of them were actually SD. One channel was just the bouncing DirecTV logo and without fail every night after the news the picture started to break up on every channel. I do wish hotels using these systems would include all the local channels too... Not just the ABC, NBC, CBS and FOX affiliates.

Lots of places just use the 4 networks as space is at a premium when working with 24, 36 or 48 channels.

The places that drive me crazy is when they mix the analog with the HD, and then don't take the time to get the numbering in the correct order and do 30.1 , 30.2, 33, 35.1 etc.

It can be all mapped down to 2,3,4,5,6 if the installers would take the time to map down the tv's or headend correctly.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)