Awful, Awful Awful R15

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gefitz

Original poster
Jul 31, 2006
Wow, I've never been bamboozled into becoming an unknown alpha tester before.

Crashing during simply watching live TV. Crashes during recording. Not recording, even when trying to record live tv. Being told to reset the unit, only to lose ALL recorded items. Being told to reset the unit again, and not being able to even view live TV for hours!

If it wasn't for Setanta, there is no way I would have even considered moving from Dish (man, their DVR was trouble free and 100% accurate). I guess it's my problem: I expect a purchased product to work.

If you are considering R15, stay away, oh PLEASE, stay far away. Wait unitl another product, at least, is offered post-tivo: apparently Direct TV has no idea what they are doing....

Back to VCR...crud

Have you call Directv yet and told them about the problems you are having with it. I have had my R15 now since last December and it has only crashed on me once besides that one time my R15 has worked perfectly.

Yup, I've been on the phone often...

Of course I've called Direct TV...several times. I'm updated to the latest software (July 26th), and still crash daily.

"Reset it and see if that cures the issue". Which issue? The crashing 4 times a day? The non-recording? The non-playback of supposedly-recorded shows?

And then, when performing the reset, I lose all recorded shows? Are you kidding?

Pure and simple: the product should have never been released, and I'm back to the VCR until I can find something with a hard drive to record to...

There is no chance that you could have a bad hard drive in that unit?
Have you had it replaced yet? Too see if your problems continue to occur?

gefitz said:
Back to VCR...crud

Before you take such a drastic step, have you thought about getting yourself a D-Tivo. (which we all KNOW works like it should!)
Some Wal-Marts might still have some of the R-10's left - for only $99 you can have your very own. Also, Weaknees still various D-Tivo's as well.

I like my r-15, gives me no issues except i personally like the tivo setup better. THe r-15 is way faster than tivo also.I think you got a funky unit

Ebay is your best bet (for R-10s), or weakness.com
They are getting pretty scarce from vendors

Same problem, D*'s answer....

I have been having this exact same issue... constant locks, freezes, bad recordings, live tv failures, and outright crashes. My system is about 5 or 6 months old, and the problems have been getting worse, especially over the last few weeks. I just got off the phone with Directv and told them exactly what was happening.... Their answer amazed me:

"Sorry, its a known issues with all the DVR's of this model, there's nothing we can do about it until our engineers get an update for the software out. You'll just have to keep hitting reset."

Keep hitting RESET! WTF?!?!? I haven't been able to watch more than about 20 minutes of LIVE tv for almost 2 weeks, and they want me to keep paying for the service and HIT RESET? This is rediculous. I've been a customer of theirs for over 9 years, and I've never had a problem like this before, not with my Ultimate TV, not with either of my Tivo's, and not with any of my old non-DVR boxes. This kind of answer is completely unacceptable to me, and I can't belive that D* expects me to keep paying for this service when I can't even use it.... I guess I'm going to have to spend the next few hours on the phone with CSR trying to get this sorted out.... For those of you who have working R15's, good luck, because apparently this issue is getting to be such a big problem that as soon as I explained what was happening, they immediately transfered me to a special tech thats handling just this problem.

(OK, I'm done ranting now... I'm just very annoyed because I've been a loyal D* customer for a long time now, and I've never had this kind of problem with them or their customer support...)

My first one wouldn't work at all- second one crashes about once a week

I have only had the DVR for about 6 weeks. The first one crashed an hour after getting- but they replaced it . This one crashes about every week or so. Very aggrating if you are taping something or watching something. I believe I am locked in to this thing for about two years- I do like it when it works!

Since the last update my 30 second skip doesn't work.... Also, it did not record Big Brother for me last night.... I was watching so it was no biggie but since the last update my R15 is acting up.... It was fine til the last update.......

shy007 said:
Since the last update my 30 second skip doesn't work.... Also, it did not record Big Brother for me last night.... I was watching so it was no biggie but since the last update my R15 is acting up.... It was fine til the last update.......

I've noticed it, too.

My 30-sec skip will only work one at a time after awhile. And the responsiveness of the play button after fast forwarding is pretty slow. The 6-sec backup also isn't very responsive. This problem has happened twice since the new update. It fixed itself after I reset it the first time, so hopefully a reset will work again this second time.

Here, here........

I'm on my third R15 in six months. DirectV should be embarrassed by this product. My back skip button does not work, the button to skip to the end of the broadcast does not work. The rewind is complete crap. The fast forward doesn't work well either. My unit is brand new. I put it on line three days ago.

DO NOT get DirectV if you want a DVR. Go with Dish Network.

eddieic said:
I've noticed it, too.

My 30-sec skip will only work one at a time after awhile. And the responsiveness of the play button after fast forwarding is pretty slow. The 6-sec backup also isn't very responsive. This problem has happened twice since the new update. It fixed itself after I reset it the first time, so hopefully a reset will work again this second time.

All is well again after another reset.

Relatively speaking.

When I first got DirecTV I had an R10 80-hour DirecTivo. It has literally NEVER given me a single problem EVER. I had cable with Tivo before and wanted to keep the Tivo thing. I'm in LA so my local channels are supplied and are now DIGITAL. Big plus.

I liked DirecTV with Tivo so much I found a second used 40-hour unit on Craigslist for $35. You may want to try Craigslist in your area.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)