Dtv customer service/support/retention

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jeffreych33

Original poster
Mar 31, 2005
Hi...first, let me say I don't post much on message boards, but just every so often...I want to say a big thanks though, to sites and forum members like you because there is so much helpful information!

I just wanted to post my recent issues/service concerns with Dtv and share the results, etc. Also, please for any CSRs reading, don't be offended if I talk negatively of any individuals on the phone...nothing personal to anyone, but sometimes I can't believe what they say and more importantly, how they say it! As everyone seems to know here, things are always better when you get to level 2 support/customer retention and/or supervisors.

FYI - per some recent posts, I also had the problem with Dtv stopping our paper bill, even though I had clearly said not to...this was supposedly confirmed both on-line and via phone by Dtv. We were unaware that there was an issue, so sure enough, Dtv was about to cut off our service (un-warned) over the billing. We found out, then paid via credit card over phone and they have now confirmed (again) that we will receive the paper statements for payment.

Main issue: Early this month, our dish was apparently struck by lightning and it knocked out the LNB. We called, they set-up tech call but it would take nearly 5 days on the schedule/no TV. The tech rep on the call also suggested on her own that I consider the protection plan. The only thing I was told about this plan was the monthly cost, they could activate it now, and that it would mean my tech call for repair would be free vs $70. They also said equipment will now be protected. So, I signed up and then tech call was free (so we thought). Turns out they had billed us $30 and tried to argue it. This was just adjusted off our next bill today as a credit, only after making the support supervisor read all notes thoroughly and agree that I was told it would be free.

Anyway, not only did the lightning damage the dish, but it ruined the R15 DVR by killing one of the tuners and killed my Zenith HD box by killing the satellite tuner. Tech called these issues in to Dtv so they could process replacement equipment. Then, I found out that Dtv would demand a new 2-year commitment and I would have to pay $19.95 per unit for replacements. I protested this since I had the protection plan, with my real concern having to sign-up for a new 2-years. After going through 2 folks, then finally a Supervisor about the issue and trying to get the units replaced without the hassle, they just wouldn't give in...and here's the real reason. They stated there is a 30 day period for the protection plan to officially kick-in on the account, therefore they couldn't wave the commitment or fees. I stayed nice throughout, but they would not relent on this issue. However, (and here's my big problem), the Supervisor clearly stated to me that it would NOT be a problem if I just wait the 30 days before calling back for the replacement receivers. At that point, he stated, they would replace the equipment with no addit'l commitment and no shipping fees. So, I let it go and agreed to wait w/the bad equipment for 30 days.

Flash to today! -- 2 more hours, atleast, spent on the phone with various reps at Dtv. I initially called tech support because the DVR was stuck trying to get a download and we couldn't view TV. At one point, I asked the first rep about our protection plan. She confirmed it had "kicked-in" and effective on my account. However, she said it will STILL be a 2-year commitment + fees to replace the defective equipment and now explained the policy a little different...that equipment damaged in that 30 day window of the protection plan would not count! OK, maybe I'm fine with that if it had been explained, and IF the Supervisor had not promised me no hassles later. In this case, I would not relent to the 2-year commitment, but said th shipping fee is no big deal. It was mainly on principle since I had been promised one thing, and now they were determined NOT to live up to it. First of all, I had to keep convincing them to read ALL the notes. Finally, they agreed that the notes were there, I was promised, we're sorry, etc, etc, but that they would not do anything w/out the 2-year commitment.

Finally, after getting to customer retention (threatening to cancel service), getting the same problem from the rep claiming to be the "final authority", I spoke to her Supervisor. He was finally, the best of the lot...ultimately, he would not let go of the commitment plan, but was A)apologetic, B)trying to look for a way to help me, C)agreed that I had been handled poorly in this case and D)he talked me into agreeing to stay. Here's the deal: I was technically on roughly another year and a half commitment plan anyway, so I finally agreed to change to the 2-year, assuming both my R15 and HD box be replaced, NO shipping charges for either. But, I asked for something for all the trouble as well, and ended up with 6 free months Showtime programming, 6 months of HBO programming for only $2/per month and $10 off each month's bill for the next full year.

Of course, I will end up with a re-furb DVR and H20 box, but I'll hope for the best! Ultimately, I'm not so concerned with the outcome, but all the hassle along the way. All the reps and supervisors were so unclear on policy, etc, etc....In a couple of cases, very rude as well.

1 final problem (congratulations...you've made it this far!) -- my replacement of these receivers requires me to return both the DVR and MY HD Zenith to Dtv upon receipt of the new boxes. Here's me problem...why on earth do I have to return MY Zenith box, which I bought & paid for from Robert of Value Electronics (thank you very much, Robert) to them...it's mine all mine, I paid for it and it's not a leased unit. The reason I would keep it is that the OTA tuner still works so I could give or sell it to someone to use, or even use it myself later on a different TV. Dtv advanced tech girl totally agreed with this logically, but could not change it...said it must be returned to avoid fees later. I said, well you what else do you want...the fridge, a TV, maybe my iPod??? Just seems odd to me as Dtv will just discard the Zenith, I assume.

My God, it's over...sorry, but had to tell the story and vent a little. I've probably left something out, or failed to explain how difficult this was, but in any case, the result is OK I guess and I got some nice concessions on the programming!

IF you owned the receiver and not leased it, you do not in any way shape or form have to return it. (if you want to return it in peices....well thats up to you !!!)
Any own equipment you keep, regardless, call them back and talk to them again if you want to, you may be required to return any leased equipment, but you knew that anyway, why would you want to keep leased anyway.

The only thing they own in your case is the Access Card, actually NewsCorp owns that as well.

Jimbo

Last edited:
Thanks Jimbos

I appreciate the feedback, and thanks for scanning over such a long post!

I will call back again about the Zenith, and get the same Cust Retention guy on the line. Probably give it a day or two though!

Thanks again.

Jimbos said:
IF you owned the receiver and not leased it, you do not in any way shape or form have to return it. (if you want to return it in peices....well thats up to you !!!)
Any own equipment you keep, regardless, call them back and talk to them again if you want to, you may be required to return any leased equipment, but you knew that anyway, why would you want to keep leased anyway.

The only thing they own in your case is the Access Card, actually NewsCorp owns that as well.

Jimbo
D* going to charge him if he keeps the older HD ird, If he doesn't return ird it is assume that it was never broken.

That is the point. Can't call in and want something replaced if you don't return what you want replaced.

That said, I want to thank you for your post. Usually when someone has an issue like that they get all high and mighty and demand, demand, demand! You wrote it out well and explained your issues clearly. I will say this, with the lighning doing so much damage, and not having the plan to begin with, I suspect that I would have expected to go through some major hoops to end up where you are today. I would say that you did it and ended up better for it. I know it was a long haul, but I think you came out smelling pretty good!

My dad had basically the same problem last week (lightning damaged hd box & sd box) had to jump through some hoops and I had to get aggressive with one cs rep but I have to say that D* did him good. I just wanted to give one positive report on D. He did the same thing as you turned on the protection plan when he called and they swapped out the receivers at no charge, the only time I had to get aggressive with the guy they had sent an h20 to replace his old hd box but did not send a card (apparently the H20 needs a new card which they didn't send) and they wanted to charge him $20 for one and I told the guy it wasn't his fault that they didn't send it, so he waived the fee. But I was never nasty just firm, plus I was armed with the knowledge I learned here.

end result

Yeah, ultimately things turned out OK I think...like you said icstephen, things normally work out in the end if you are firm, but not nasty with anyone. Although, it can be really tempting sometimes...it's just hard to believe was some of the CSR reps will say or tell you. You know, it's OK at the end of the day, but it's not like Dtv isn't making out well by handling the protection plan the way they finally did. Technically, they could have insisted on all the charges, commitment, etc, but lost me. As it turned out, I commited to the 2-years anyway (mostly because I had a year & a half left regardless). But the point is, they have me locked up now with their leased equipment and paying that monthly fee...to me, no different than if I were a brand new customer signing up and getting the equipment free up front. And, that being said, I should be more valuable than a brand new customer...a long timer who pays the bills!

Regarding the return of my Zenith HD box, I do understand your point about Dtv not knowing then for sure if it's truly broken. However, it still doesn't get past the fact that you are giving them something you bought and own, in turn for their leased equipment. Also, in this case, the tech rep that did the lightning repair called the faulty equipment in anyway...Dtv would believe the tech, right? I'll probably return it just to avoid any further hassle, but truth is, somebody out there would probably like that box for an OTA tuner.

Oh, by the way, one thing I forgot to mention before is that my system was never grounded! And that's with 2 different installers originally who said that they did ground it. The repair tech who came out did the grounding, and admitted it had not been done before.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

I agree I don't like the whole 2 year deal (I think they are shooting themselves in the foot) I know people that stick with the lousy cable here (and believe me its lousy) because they don't want a contract. I dumped D* earlier in the year and went to cable for 2 weeks (it was a long 2 weeks) before coming back to D*, for the most part I like D* I have had their service off and on since the beginning. I don't have a contract and I have a D* Tivo, I don't plan on going anywhere until my tivo dies then I may just dump it all together (I have SC) just to save money or go with 4Dtv for awhile...but I am sure that if I do go I'm sure I will come back (if they still had the tivo I wouldn't even go).

** wow that was a ramble...sorry

I do like D* though, but I don't think the CS problem is new I hated dealing with USSB especially towards the end.

I'm not sure I understand why you're upset with returning your Zenith HD box just because you own it. The very fact that you own it, is what makes DT replacing it so amazing. It wasn't their equipment and they are still replacing it - pretty good in my book. Not trying to knock your issues because I'm on your side but this one facet is confusing.

I think that he wanted to keep it for the digital OTA tuner, I am not sure about the Zenith box but the one my dad had (not sure the brand, samsung, sanyo, it was an s brand) the OTA would work regardless of subscription (at least my dad's did), while the new H20 locks the OTA out if the box is not subscribed. that's the only reason for keeping a dead box that I can think of. My dad had to send back his dead box too which he grumbled about but it was broken and I had gotten it for him for free or like $100 (can't remember witch) and they swapped it for an h20 which seams to have a better OTA tuner on it than the old box.

Yes, correct...only interest in keeping the Zenith box is for the OTA tuner, which still works great. I could probably sell, or atleast give it to someone for their HD TV. I know a couple of guys that have HD TVs, but not really taking advantage of the OTA or anything.

For Dtv, the returned Zenith will just be scrap, I assume. FYI, not at all unhappy with the end result. It's good that Dtv is replacing with another unit...it's just that replacing with the H20 is in their best interest, and is also leased now...it's not like they are swapping out ownership.

Honestly, I believe going toward just a pure lease thing on these receivers is good all-around business. That's assuming the equipment is good quality, replaceable if defective, yadda yadda. It's just an more manageable and cost effective system for Dtv and seems easy for customer as well. Videophiles will always want their own equip/different equip, whatever, but I think the majority of folks will be happy with the Dtv options for a DVR, HD DVR, HD or regular receiver.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts