AZ Box what type for 4:2:2, dvr, dvb-s2 and DVB-T

ussexplroer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 17, 2007
So I see this thing called a azbox and it seems to fit my needs. But I'm confused on were to purchase and what I need besides a hard drive to get blindscan, 4:2:2, dvr, dvb-s2 and dvb-t. That is over the air hd digital. ALso anbody know about how much video say a 1tb drive holds.

Thanks,

Josh

Josh,

There are several AZBox models out there and they all have their merits and their troubles. Personally, I like the Premium Plus, but I hate recommending any receiver. Everyone's taste and desire are different. Especially for the AZBox. It is a totally unique world for these receivers.

HDD for the AZBox... try to stay with a 5400 RPM drive and not go with the 7200 RPM models. The Samsung HD103SI HDD works great.

DVBS-T tuner... You will have to buy this separate and install it yourself. The Premium Plus is probably best suited for this option.

Blind Scan, 4:2:2, DVB-S2 are all there on the Premium Plus. AND you get WiFi and the front panel VFD display with this model. I think that these are options that you will desire highly.

A 1 TB HDD holds much more content than you realize. I have approximately 165 full length movies PLUS approximately 130 GB of recorded HD programs from satellite recordings stored on my HDD and it shows 78% full. This is like 350 - 380 hours of viewing, maybe more.

Before you decide on the AZBox, read the A-Z guide in the stickes. There is a section in there that includes Q&A sessions from real members here. That will help you learn about the box itself.

RADAR

The OP does not mention its location so I woudl like to add that the DVB-T card is only usefull in some countries, mostly Europeans. Over here in NA (USA, Canada) the digital TV standard is ATSC therefore you need the ATSC card which I think are different depending on the AZbox receiver model. Some online dealers already has them for sale in NA.

Sorry I'm in the U.S. ALso what is the best place to purchase said receiver in the u.s.?

Sorry I'm in the U.S. ALso what is the best place to purchase said receiver in the u.s.?

Well there may be others but you can try: Ricks Satellite (where I got mine from), and there is a Dealer in Florida, as well as DrSat in Canada. Radar has a complete worldwide list.

I got a chance to do a little more research. Does any of these mfg sell the atsc card I need for the us. I read one person imported it and it was buggy because of firmware. But I also read the firmware has been updated and maybe even updated since the article.
Thanks,

Josh

As far as I know most if not all of the AZbox's purchased in North America are ready to receive Sat Signals, so you shouldn't have to purchase a ATSC card. But to be sure double check with the vendor (ie Rick's Sat) you order your AZbox from.

I have not looked into the OTA or the "DVB-T" tuners for the AZBox recently. However, I was under the impression that a tuner for terrestrial broadcasts for North America was not yet available. There was one for Brazil's OTA broadcast format, but not yet for ours. If anyone has located one or determined that they are a work in progress, you can jump in here and correct me. But, at this time, it is my current knowledge that one does not exist.

RADAR

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts