AZbox advice

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Skyscanner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
Sportsman's Paradise Northern Mi
Does AZbox support Diseqc 1.1 committed/uncommitted settings? Thinking about a purchase, but it won't be useful with my current set up without it. Are they reliable for motor functions? If there is more than 1 model, which is best? Thanks in advance.
Sky

Iceberg,
Wow, thanks for opening my eyes with the thread about the motor difficulties. I have decided to keep my money until they get it right. If they can't get something as basic as motor functions right, the AZbox is definitely not for me, I'm not able nor interested in debugging their product for them. I just want to plug, play, and watch TV, but it sounds like this product is not what I'm looking for, I already have motor problems with my Viewsat, don't need more no matter how good it works otherwise.
Sky

I have mine slaved for that exact reason. I tried my darndest to make DIseqc 1.2 work with it but it just wouldnt work properly

Too bad, it seems to have everything going for it EXCEPT reliability, and I suppose that is what appeals to some people, but I need something as idiot proof as a D* or E* box. I wonder how many professional installers WON'T sell this box because the problems would generate service calls that would drive them nuts?

I have mine slaved for that exact reason. I tried my darndest to make DIseqc 1.2 work with it but it just wouldnt work properly

I have NO Problems at all running my Elite here in the 1.2 mode.

the Elite has been running a 10-fter on a H-mount for little over a year now an has work flawless for me. the problem for most people most likely is a corrupt channel list, an they may not even no that is the problen. A wile back when I up-graded firm-ware (3880 & 4295) it changed some of my position #'s around, an I used MAZ 2.3 (channel editor for the AZbox) to find that problem and correct it, an it has worked great ever since. it took a few days before I found what was causing it, an some trail an error but got it, an it came down to 2-satellites that I added to it's list.

the AZ does have have a nice 1.2 motor control function, as far as bumping the dish east or west, you can select different modes of movement 1-2-3-4 contious, far better than Pansat receivers.

if you're looking for a receiver that is bug free Skyscanner good luck all HD receiver that I have use have some kind of bug, or certain things that they will not do as well as another model. now as far as the AZ it is 1 great receiver, an has great potential too, along with 1 of the best I have ran. but you need to under stand it is a linux based receiver, an once you understand the basics you will be good to go.

How did 2-satellites cause the problem?

What is the differenece between 1-2-3-4?

I have NO Problems at all running my Elite here in the 1.2 mode.

the Elite has been running a 10-fter on a H-mount for little over a year now an has work flawless for me. the problem for most people most likely is a corrupt channel list, an they may not even no that is the problen. A wile back when I up-graded firm-ware (3880 & 4295) it changed some of my position #'s around, an I used MAZ 2.3 (channel editor for the AZbox) to find that problem and correct it, an it has worked great ever since. it took a few days before I found what was causing it, an some trail an error but got it, an it came down to 2-satellites that I added to it's list.

the AZ does have have a nice 1.2 motor control function, as far as bumping the dish east or west, you can select different modes of movement 1-2-3-4 contious, far better than Pansat receivers.

if you're looking for a receiver that is bug free Skyscanner good luck all HD receiver that I have use have some kind of bug, or certain things that they will not do as well as another model. now as far as the AZ it is 1 great receiver, an has great potential too, along with 1 of the best I have ran. but you need to under stand it is a linux based receiver, an once you understand the basics you will be good to go.

Too bad, it seems to have everything going for it EXCEPT reliability, and I suppose that is what appeals to some people, but I need something as idiot proof as a D* or E* box. I wonder how many professional installers WON'T sell this box because the problems would generate service calls that would drive them nuts?
You're not going to find something "idiot proof" . FTA satellite is a changing thing that requires the USER to be somewhat knowledgeable and respond to the changes. There is no overall "Program Provider" who guarantees you TV service in exchange for a regular infusion of your money.
:(

How did 2-satellites cause the problem?

What is the differenece between 1-2-3-4?

1-2-3-4 is the step amount that you want you're dish to move in the 1.2 mode when you're in the installation mode.

and as far as the 2-satellites, I don't know and that's a very good ? it could of been 4, 10, 20 or more, but in my case it was only 2 that I added. after I found which satellites they where, right off the bat I though it was TP related, but that was not the case, it all came down to the 2 sats I added to it's list from the beginning.

Being somewhat knowledgable with the ability to respond to changes won't make the difference with a product that was released under-tested and frought with problems. I'm certainly no genius, but it looks like this box has so many problems, it has it's own forum. If yours works fine, that's great, but I don't have the tech savvy some of you have. I would like to have 1, but I'll have to wait for better reliability, or if it's not an issue of reliability, then user-friendliness.
Sky

Being somewhat knowledgable with the ability to respond to changes won't make the difference with a product that was released under-tested and frought with problems. I'm certainly no genius, but it looks like this box has so many problems, it has it's own forum. If yours works fine, that's great, but I don't have the tech savvy some of you have. I would like to have 1, but I'll have to wait for better reliability, or if it's not an issue of reliability, then user-friendliness.
Sky

Actually, it has it's own forum BECAUSE it's the closest to perfect solution we have seen , at the time the thread was started. With all it's problems, it's the best we have. Now that Blindscan is starting to show up in the DVB PCI world, that will be a serious , single source option, but not everyone would feel comfortable having a PC based solution control their TV viewing.

Clearly I don't think that there is a perfect solution, with my multiple receivers, and two PCI tuners, but the Azbox Elite is still the best stb I've run into for trying to watch everything from one box.
:)

All good points Brent, but bottom line for me is not perfection, just something that works as advertised, I really don't think that's asking too much from someone who wants my money for the product or sercvice they offer. I have seen some terrible products on the market, and in every case some swear by them, others swear at them. IMHO buying something that doesn't work right rewards incompetence. I want 1, I'm just going to wait until they get it right or their competition offers something better. When I go to the market to buy a steak, I don't want to have to kill the cow, I just want to enjoy a steak.
Sky

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts