Azbox and closed caption ?

Lassar

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jul 16, 2007
Illinois
I got a email from customer care from azbox.com saying the Azbox supports closed caption.

Very important for TVG support.

Can anyone confirm this ? Please check your TV and see if you can get closed caption with the Azbox.

Also if anyone has the Azbox ultra, is the case metal or plastic ?

maybe in another planet ! lol. my azbox prem + (now has 5020 fw) has never shown any close caption at all not even on the old RCA style A/V outputs (yes I have enable CC on the TV as well). regular old line 21 CC never work and the new DVB digital captions does not work either and at least Arirang broadcast them in NA on 58W I think.

If you need old analog CC but no need for 4:2:2 neither DVB captions (probably only a handful has them in NA) then buy a used old CS 8100 from Ebay and stay away from Azbox. Well maybe they will release a firmware that address this issue in NA before Castro dies, lol. Will see who is first!, lol.

I got a email from customer care from azbox.com saying the Azbox supports closed caption.

Very important for TVG support.

Can anyone confirm this ? Please check your TV and see if you can get closed caption with the Azbox.

Nope. Doesn't work.

I think I found the few first channels that acctually show that they use DVB subtitles here in NA. Over at 58W there are a few channels that the subtitle icon lights up and also if you press the subtitle red key it shows a list of available languages. mostly spanish and portuguese. the infinito channels has them and the WB 8psk mux also has them but i havent seen them yet because the infinito ones are encrypted and the WB 8PSK mux (3910V) is too weak I guess (it says scrambled and then no signal and so on) eventhopugh it locks and blind sccaned it. If someone can check that 3910V 8PSK signal and post if the Azbox finally displays at least the DVB subtitles here in NA. Arirang TV on the same sat is suppose to have them but is a no go with AZbox. I am using HDMI so will switch to regular A/V cables tomorrow for more testing when ever I have the time. I just readjusted the Gospell LNBF and manage to get those signals very well now.

Just an update. There was a Live International Opera Feed from the MET this afternoon at 79W that lighted up not only the Subtitle but also the Teletext icons on my Azbox Prem+ (the domestic feed had only English subtitles embeded on the video). When pressing the red subtitle key it opened a window that showed 7 languages (5 were Eng, Spa, Germ, French, Port plus 2 named Englisg(T)). All 5 languages had subtitles and worked ok with them at the bottom of the screen properly displayed but the last 2 named english(T) had nothing. The first option, OFF, if selected will set CC OFF and removed them from the picture. I am using HDMI through an Onkyo AV Receiver. This are acctually subtitles not close captions (no black rectangular background and no effects description just language translation) just the lettering with a yellow/gray color more like the US movies on cuban TV that has them in Spanish.

Like I said also the Teletext service appeared to be active. When the Green Teletext key was pressed it showed a black screen with page number 100 on the top left. You could change pages by entering the page number with the numeric keypad and then pressing OK. You could also navigate pages up and down by pressing the navigation keys UP/Down and them press OK. If you pressed UP 3 times and then OK it will forward 3 pages , from 100 to 103 for instance. Too bad there was no way to scroll sideways or in hundreds like from 200 to 300 or viceversa by just pressing the right/left keys. Also when the black teletext screen was on if you pressed the Menu key it would open a new window with more than 15 languages for you to select one, the first option Auto was already selected. I navigated through lots of pages trying to find some text service working but unfortunaelly I could not find any , all were black screens, but this is the first time I ever see the Teletext icon light up and acctually work if you press the Teletext key.

I made a recording with the Spanish subtitles on and showing and apparently it records the whole data stream because it will show the Teletext screen and allow you to navigate through it (although only black screens). Also it seemed to have recorded the subtitles as well (when playing back it did not show the spanish subtitles I had on previously) but since it was a somehow high bitrate HD feed the box became sluggish and tooks a while to respond to the remote but it ended up showing the Subtitle list window but without languages so I could not select any to try when playing back the recording. It has happened before with high bitrate signals that the box becomes slow and you have to wait a lot for it to respond and can not press many keys in secuence otherwise will freeze. that is why I think it recorded the subtitle streams as well, because in regular tv channels recorded or not when you press the red subtitle key it shows nothing, no window at all.

Just my 2 cents, well even better, 2 CUC centavos lol on the matter. Too bad still the Azbox will not display regular old style analog era Line 21 VBI inserted 1995 FCC mandated Close Captions. This is obviously a European product where DVB and Teletext subtitles are widely used. Time to update my complain at the AZbox forum I guess, lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)