AZBox DiSEqC 1.2 Error During Blindscan

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Clones don't have anything to do with the bad original AZBox coding. As was indicated earlier, the problem affects all version 1 and 2 AZBoxes.

Clones don't impact bugs being made but they certainly reduce the chance of them getting fixed in future firmware updates. As you know, developers don't work for free so the more people buying clones, the less money coming in to keep paying the development team in order to resolve these issues.

Curious, does the new "clone" AZBox has the same DiSEqC problem during blind scan as the originals. Anybody have one of these STBs and could comment?

If they fixed the problem, maybe they could provide the firmware file release!

The clones have the same issue as they use the exact same firmware. Chinese clone makers only copy the hardware so that the authentic unit's firmware runs on it. They don't code their own firmware which is why they can afford selling their units for so cheap as they don't have to fund a development team.

Clones don't impact bugs being made but it certainly reduces the chance of them getting fixed in future firmware updates. As you know, developers don't work for free so the more people buying clones, the less money coming in to keep paying the development team in order to resolve these issues.

According to your time-line the clones came on market after these models were no longer in production and the AZBox company was sold without providing you with any way to support the blind scan process. So I don't understand the relevance...

Please comment on this earlier post that you may have missed. We might have a better understanding.
You have mentioned that a new company owns AZBox. Did this company only buy the AZBox name?

Does the new AZBox company support version 1, 2 and 3 STBs?

If not, is this the reason that you, as a regional distributor, must independently develop firmware fixes for the AZBoxes sold in the US and Canada? Seems like you are getting zero support from the company and it makes no sense that a regional distributor would need to code someone else's products.

The clones have the same issue as they use the exact same firmware. Chinese clone makers only copy the hardware so that the authentic unit's firmware runs on it. They don't code their own firmware which is why they can afford selling their units for so cheap as they don't have to fund a development team.
So are you confirming that you have tested the the clone hardware and the firmware has the same DiSEqC problems as the originals or is this speculation? Just trying to cut through the BS and talk facts.....

I assume you are referring to Tek2000 which has been identified as selling counterfeit AzBox Premium Plus ...

...after we contacted ebay as per http://www.azbox.ca/cfm/azbox/unauthorised_info.cfm?ID=4 so we certainly won't hesitate doing the same for you as well! As I know you will be reading this post, this will be your ONLY warning!

Why do you bloviate and threaten instead of just making the contact and executing on elimination of unauthorized dealing? Why warn unless it's posturing?

Merry Christmas all! :)

If Tek2000 fixed the problem, maybe they could provide the firmware file release!

Give me a break! The only thing Tek2000 is good at is copy & pasting other peoples websites!
They copied most of the content from our support page on their website at http://www.tek2000.com/cgi-bin/web.cgi?command=display&page=instructions along with the 0.9.5402 firmware version that we released without our permission.
Surprisingly enough, they also included a download for version 1.86 of our miniMe American Edition firmware.
SORRY TEK2000, YOU CAN'T SELL CLONES OF THAT ONE!

According to your time-line the clones came on market after these models were no longer in
production and the AZBox company was sold without providing you with any way to support the blind scan process. So I don't understand the relevance...
The Premium HD Plus was still in production when the clones first appeared in the market. However the Elite, Ultra and Premium (non-Plus) models were out of production at that time.

So are you confirming that you have tested the the clone hardware and the firmware has the same DiSEqC problems as the originals or is this speculation? Just trying to cut through the BS and talk facts.....

Yes, when the clones first came out, we acquired a unit as part of our investigation process and confirmed that it operates the exact same firmware as the original units which comes preinstalled on the unit with the exact same firmware bugs as an original unit running the same firmware version. The clone manufacturers never released a single firmware version and that's a fact!

Last edited:
Why do you bloviate and threaten instead of just making the contact and executing on elimination of unauthorized dealing? Why warn unless it's posturing?

Merry Christmas all! :)

Normally we would not warn them again as it was already done a while back. However as this is Christmas time, we are nice enough to give them one last chance. If they choose to ignore us, we will take action to get their infringing listing pulled which will possibly result in having them banned from selling on ebay as selling counterfeit items is not allowed.

All very interesting information... Thanks!

At least this thread will certainly be a great resource for hobbyists to understand motor or controller problems not playing nice with an AZBox or clone.

Be interesting if DrHD releases a DiSEqC fix. Please keep us informed. I understand from the European forums that historically, they have had good product support.

Ok, what's the bottom line about making the AZBox Ultra work with the ASC 1?
I'm getting discouraged about this. I'm hoping someone can help me (and others with AZBox boxes as well) work this out. I'm in no position buying another FTA receiver at this point.
There must be some way to set the dish limits and then find the C/Ku satellites and blindscan them and programming the satellite position on the ASC 1.
The saying goes "If there's a way there's a will."

Ok, what's the bottom line about making the AZBox Ultra work with the ASC 1?
I'm getting discouraged about this. I'm hoping someone can help me (and others with AZBox boxes as well) work this out. I'm in no position buying another FTA receiver at this point.
There must be some way to set the dish limits and then find the C/Ku satellites and blindscan them and programming the satellite position on the ASC 1.
The saying goes "If there's a way there's a will."
pwrsurge explained the best option in post #4 of this thread. At least there is one :)

Thanks, Magic Static. I'm going to highlight that thread and copy it and then paste it on Word processor on my iPhone.
And if others share their work about I'll do the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been using an Ultra and ASC1 for many months (more tham a year) and I have found the only problem was the diseqc limit/blind-scan issue. Easy to avoid if you disable diseqc positioning in the setup menu before blind scanning and re-enable after. USALS works fine with blind scanning. Would be very nice to have an update that fixed the diseqc/blind scanning issue... but I an not holding my breath, as these devices are getting on in age.

Does amyone actually have the source code for the ultra/premium+ units??

Does amyone actually have the source code for the ultra/premium+ units??
We have the source code for a few components in the legacy AzBox HD firmware but unfortunately, this does not include any of the scanning stuff including blind scan.

As I previously mentioned, the only practical solution for ASC1 owners would be to get a user configurable option added in a future ASC1 firmware update to ignore DiSEqC limit set commands coming from the STB.

This would not only fix the issue for legacy AzBox HD users but also Dr.Hd and any other STB's who have the same bug.

To blind scan with the AZBOX, change the Positioner setup field in Antenna setup from DiSEqC 1.2 to OFF before the blind scan and turning it back on once the scan is done.

Note: this applies to all DiSEqC KU HH motors or controllers (including Gbox and Vbox) when used with the AZBox receivers in DiSEqC 1.2 motor control mode.

Last edited:
Read in another European forum that the DRHD DiSEqC problem has been corrected, so the problem only remains with the AZBox. Lucky there haven't been many AZBoxes sold in North America.

Pwrsurge, I will ask these questions for a third time.... They seem to be overlooked or avoided....

You have mentioned that a new company owns AZBox.

1. Did this company only buy the AZBox name?

2. Does the new AZBox company support version 1, 2 and 3 STBs?

3. If not, is this the reason that you, as a regional distributor, must independently develop firmware fixes for the AZBoxes sold in the US and Canada?

It astounds me away that the AZBox North American distributor doesn't have the support from AZbox to provide a simple firmware fix, yet you sold these units for years knowing that they are not DiSEqC 1.2 compliant. Now you suggest that the best solution is for appliances with DiSEqC compliance be modified to work with your non-compliant receivers.... Serious?

Last edited:
Read in another European forum that the DRHD DiSEqC problem has been corrected, so the problem only remains with the AZBox. Lucky there haven't been many AZBoxes sold in North America.
I'm sure a LOT more AZBoxes have been sold in North America compared to DRHD :rolleyes:

You have mentioned that a new company owns AZBox.

1. Did this company only buy the AZBox name?

No, they also purchased all AzBox related assets as well

2. Does the new AZBox company support version 1, 2 and 3 STBs?
Only the third generation 3 STB's (Me & miniMe) as first and second generation AzBoxes were already discontinued once the sale was finalized.

3. If not, is this the reason that you, as a regional distributor, must independently develop firmware fixes for the AZBoxes sold in the US and Canada?
As a regional distributor, we develop firmware in order to support our products in the market we serve. As AzBox was traditionally developed with the European market in mind, we have made substantial effort in adapting this brand to the North American market.

How many times is this b.s. going to be repeated? Time to set the record straight…again.

Here is the REAL history of AZbox and it is ALL history.

AZbox was a trade name of a company in Portugal called Opensat. AZbox was brought to North America by Rick Caylor and Rick was the North American distributor. Shortly before Hugo (owner of Opensat) turned tail and ran “DrSat” was made a distributor for CANADA. Not North America, Canada. Hugo made all sorts of promises and then abruptly sold the AZbox NAME to a trading company in China. Right before this he dropped things like the Android promise and all legacy support, and rigged “aztrino” basically telling AZ owners here is some raw crap code, develop it yourself. There was a small run of ME and Minime under Hugo.

The trading company either could not afford additional production or would not produce anything without orders. Those orders never came from Europe distributors. Basically the trading company was looking to get some sucker to put up the money to have the factory private label AZbox. They did manage to put out one or two unrelated, off the shelf private label toilets that tanked in EU.

The trading company (HTCE Limited) ran the azbox.com website for a bit then redirected to their own site that never went beyond a holding page. Eventually HTCE either went the way of Hugo or just lost interest (since no one else had interest) and sold the domain name to someone in Brasil. To this day nothing is happening and likely the name/site belongs to one of the many pirate FTA operation in Brasil.

THERE IS NO AZBOX OR ANY COMPANY BEHIND IT. DRSAT/PWRSURGE/SERGE/(INSERT NAME HERE) does not own any rights to the product or name. There is no company, factory or engineers in China or Europe behind it.

The few things that happen with the legacy AZ, ME and minime are from a small but dedicated group of end users in EU that have managed to reverse engineer and mod things here and there on their own. Many in EU have simply switched their AZ over to Enigma2 which is open source, has more features and has decent support.

Reactions: mc6809e and scopus
hC2AE4417

2011 - 2012 was certainly very volatile time for AZBox. I had also been offered AZBox non-exclusive distribution rights by Hugo, but never moved forward due to the implosion of the company. The desertion of the AZBox engineers really hurt the company's credibility and delayed the ME/miniME product release. Ultimately, the exodus of the AZBox developers severely crippled these products and the key reason Canada must release own solutions.

After Hugo bailed, HTCE seemed overeager to sell the AZBox branded STBs to anyone with cash. I was contacted by their sales department several times, but never ordered any samples. HTCE certainly showed no consideration or loyalty to anyone currently selling their products in North America.

I would agree with you T134, highly likely that the AZBox only exists today for name recognition to service the South Ametican theft of service market. Sale to the Brazilian holdings company explains why no new products have come to market in several years and why North American STBs are orphaned without factory engineer support.

Thanks for adding a historical perspective to this discussion. A planned succession of AZBox intellectual materials would have retained or passed this important development information to the appropriate parties. In this case, folks had to scramble to protect their investments and inventories.

A serious question for thought: Could the Tek2000 AZBoxes merely be grey market from HTCE and not clones?

Last edited:
Reactions: T134
Titanium , do you have a link for me ? (e.v. PM)
For users with a V/G-Box , could just switching of the power also be the solution .(I think)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)