AZBox Editor - MazEdit 3.0

AcWxRadar

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 26, 2006
40 miles NW of Omaha. Omaha?
I don't know if any of you have seen this version yet, it appears that it ws released about 3+ weeks ago. I have loaded it onto my PC, and have uploaded and downloaded channel lists with it, but I have not done any editing, yet.

If you are interested in experimenting with it, here is the compressed file.

RADAR

Attachments

• MaZ_3.0.zip
    2 MB · Views: 4,576
I don't know if any of you have seen this version yet, it appears that it ws released about 3+ weeks ago. I have loaded it onto my PC, and have uploaded and downloaded channel lists with it, but I have not done any editing, yet.

RADAR
:)

I downloaded it a couple weeks ago, but since the previous 3 versions I've tried haven't worked worth a darn, I decided to wait until I've read that other people were having success with it. When I saw this message, I thought that perhaps you've given it a try, but I guess not, or at least not a full try.
I guess I'll continue in the waiting mode. :)

:)

I downloaded it a couple weeks ago, but since the previous 3 versions I've tried haven't worked worth a darn, I decided to wait until I've read that other people were having success with it. When I saw this message, I thought that perhaps you've given it a try, but I guess not, or at least not a full try.
I guess I'll continue in the waiting mode. :)

Hey B.J.

I wasn't sure if anyone else had experimented with it since I didn't see any reports, so I thought I would take a chance. Since it didn't crash immediately on me, I was at least more pleased than I was with the previous versions of MaZEdit.

I posted it here for others to test, if they wanted to take the chance on wasting their time. He he.

I have since played with it a little more and found that... IT WORKS! :)

I edited channel names, changed flags, added transponders, deleted transponders, added satellites, deleted satellites, changed longitude settings, changed switch parameters and ports, etc..... And I uploaded/downloaded the files without problems (so far).

Like you, I am highly skeptical of any channel manager/editor for the AZBox, (in light of past experiences), so I hate to waste my time on another wild goose, but I wanted something better than what we currently have and I just had to try this MazEdit version to see if it was really improved. It appears that it has been much improved! I still need time to experiment further, I am just taking my time and testing one simplistic part of it at a time.

Just FYI, I am using firmware 0.9.4785. I don't know and can't say if this editor version works as well with other firmwares or not.

If you have some free time to fool around with it, I would recommend giving it a shot. Maybe, just maybe, we have something that really DOES work.

RADAR

Last edited:
Good to hear that it may be actually working. I may give it a try.
The biggest first step for me will be seeing if it will even start up on my main computer. I've installed 3 previous versions on this XP computer, and 95% of the time, the program won't even run. When I try to start it, it goes onto the internet, and tries to find a bunch of files back on European sites, then ends up bombing, and never starting. Occasionally it will start, but most of the time it won't. I also loaded it on two other computers, on one it did the same thing as on my main computer, but I WAS able to get it to work on one very old XP computer. So there must be some conflict with respect to the setup of these various computers. I'd give odds now, that I won't be able to get the thing running on either of my 2 main computers.
The other thing that bothers me about MAZ in general, is that it goes in and makes some read-only partitions read-write. I really don't know why it's doing this. I could understand it if it was the backup directory where the backup DVBS.dat file is kept, but it doesn't seem to be that area. I can't remember off hand what it was it was unprotecting, as it was a long time ago that I ran a packet sniffer on it. But it makes me nervous that software that has been so full of bugs it's making any area R/W that the Azbox people thought needed to be protected. Seems like it's just inviting disaster.
But anyway, I may give it a try when I get a chance, mainly just to download from the Azbox, and see if it can understand the Azbox's setup. I'm not about to try uploading TO the Azbox unless a LOT of people have success with it first.

So far, so good! I am pleasently satisfied.

This version of MaZEdit (3.0.0.0) seems to be working without a flaw for me.

NOTE: I have installed this on an ACER laptop with Windows XP (SP 3) and AVG security 2010.

The only issue I have had thus far was that my AVG security had a conflict with it (I had the older version set as one of the exceptions for AVG to allow outside communications and what-not), but for some reason, it didn't recognize the upgrade to version 3.0.0.0 and I had to reset the exception rule once again. It seems as though it identified it as a totally new and separate program then the older version.

What is really sweet with this version (I don't believe it was present in the previous versions, but I may be mistaken) is that it lists many of the recent AZBox firmwares (both the official releases and the daily snapshot releases) as well as all the plug-ins and cams available.

You can download these directly via MaZEdit and some items can be installed directly to the AZBox using the editor.

Now that the daily snapshot releases have been assigned to be downloaded through RapidShare, this is a real plus for the MaZEdit program as you can download the firmwares directly without going through rapid share and it is an immediate connection! This really makes me happy as I seriously hate the RapidShare venue!

So far I am giving this editor version a rating of :up:up:up:up:up:up:up:up (8/10).
I reserve the last two :up:up for still being skeptical, for MaZ's past history and because I have only been testing it for a few short days.

RADAR

What is really sweet with this version (I don't believe it was present in the previous versions, but I may be mistaken) is that it lists many of the recent AZBox firmwares (both the official releases and the daily snapshot releases) as well as all the plug-ins and cams available.

You can download these directly via MaZEdit and some items can be installed directly to the AZBox using the editor.

Now that the daily snapshot releases have been assigned to be downloaded through RapidShare, this is a real plus for the MaZEdit program as you can download the firmwares directly without going through rapid share and it is an immediate connection! This really makes me happy as I seriously hate the RapidShare venue!

I still haven't tried the new MAZ, but I had read about it downloading those snapshot firmware versions directly, and that sounded worth it just for that, because I agree completely about hating those mirror sites for downloading the firmware. Every time I use those, I end up hitting 2 or 3 wrong buttons, and end up with 3 or 4 popup ads on my screen (even though I have them disabled). It looks like a very dangerous site to visit. I think that once I DO try the new MAZ out, I'm going to turn on the packet sniffer, and see how/where it's getting the files directly.

I still haven't tried the new MAZ, but I had read about it downloading those snapshot firmware versions directly, and that sounded worth it just for that, because I agree completely about hating those mirror sites for downloading the firmware. Every time I use those, I end up hitting 2 or 3 wrong buttons, and end up with 3 or 4 popup ads on my screen (even though I have them disabled). It looks like a very dangerous site to visit. I think that once I DO try the new MAZ out, I'm going to turn on the packet sniffer, and see how/where it's getting the files directly.

Not to get off on a tangent about RapidShare, but it certainly pisses me off! (pardon my French). Everytime I have gone to the site for a new download, they change the layout and the "great maze" to lead you to clicking on that button that gets you to the point where they can sell you something or at least get you to subscribe to their service.

I don't like it one bit! You would think that OpenSat and AZBox would have made sufficient money off their receivers to support their own firmware download site and server! Are they doing that poorly, business-wise, that they have to sell out to scams like this? Or are they just that damned greedy?

I hope that no one ever gets sucked in by their (RapidShare's) scam when seeking downloads for anything! In my opinion, it is not an ethical business practice. I am sure that it probably works, but it sends a really seedy and low-life message about the companies that signup with PapidShare. I think I would rather have them charge me a fee for their support and give it to me in a friendly and couteous process rather than play bait and switch and head games to get you to where you want to be. And we shouldn't have to pay for any support in the first place, after we already paid them big bucks once!

Support such as the firmware should be the committment of the company to ensure that you continue to enjoy their product, not an entrapment tactic to keep you on a hook!

But, I digress. Sorry. I just had to get that off my chest.

Urrrgggghhh! :mad:

RADAR

EDIT: Running your sniffer to determine how they are getting at the direct source would be interesting! Go for it, B.J.!

;)

Last edited:
Not to get off on a tangent about RapidShare, but it certainly pisses me off! (pardon my French). Everytime I have gone to the site for a new download, they change the layout and the "great maze" to lead you to clicking on that button that gets you to the point where they can sell you something or at least get you to subscribe to their service.

I don't like it one bit! .....

But, I digress. Sorry. I just had to get that off my chest.

Urrrgggghhh! :mad:

RADAR

EDIT: Running your sniffer to determine how they are getting at the direct source would be interesting! Go for it, B.J.!

;)

I agree completely re hating that site.

ANYWAY.... I tried running MAZ-3.0 on my main XP computer.
It wouldn't run, or what I should say, is when I tried to install it, it crunched for a couple minutes going to all sorts of web pages, then, about the time the program would normally come up, it gave some sort of fatal error like it does 98% of the time on this computer. Sometimes it WILL run, but usually not. I think it must depend upon which other programs I have run first, but I'm not sure.

So, as before, I moved it downstairs to my VERY OLD XP computer, which is a hand-me-down from my wife. As usual, it DOES run on that computer, even though that's the most bloated system I've ever tried to use, and I can't get many of my routine programs to run on it.... but MAZ does.

So, I turned on the packet sniffer (Ethereal), and hit download on the newest firmware it had listed. Turns out that I didn't need the packet sniffer, because it listed the host url in the download window. It's az.evg33.ru , which the sniffer ID'd as 83.172.0.92 . I was looking for some directory or password or something, in the sniffer, but it just seemed to do a "GET" command for the filename.
So I went into my browser and tried :
http://az.evg33.ru/azbox-0.9.4890-patch.bin , and that worked. So all you need to do is append the filename to the Russian URL.

So it looks like you can either use MAZ or just get it direct from the above Russian site. However everyone should be made aware that MAZ isn't getting these files from the mirror that Azbox put them on, it's apparently an independent site, and I'm not sure how trustworthy they are.

Thanks for the URL!

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-05-16 at 9.48.39 AM.jpg
    Screen shot 2010-05-16 at 9.48.39 AM.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 721
  • Screen shot 2010-05-16 at 9.48.53 AM.jpg
    Screen shot 2010-05-16 at 9.48.53 AM.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 642
Just a FWIW, but MAZ 3.0 seems to run just fine on my Win 7 64 box. MAZ 2.3 did not like that box at all. Of course, YMMV, but it's definitely an improvement here.

On another topic, does anyone have any idea who belongs to the evg33.ru domain where the firmware is being hosted? Not to be paranoid, but I feel more comfortable when I know a little bit about who I'm d/l'ing stuff from. A quick whois gives no useful information.

If you can manage to get this editor (MaZEdit 3.0.0.0) to operate on your PC, I really urge you to do so. The benefits are exceptional!

I have been playing with this and discovered some other really sweet perks.

First of all, there is a block in the channel list section for "RECORDING". Here, after you "download" the channel list from the AZBox to the PC, you can find an option to download the recorded files from the HDD to the PC. There are other means to accomplish this via FTP, but this method here seems much more friendly to me. It still takes its sweet time to transfer the file/s, but it seems like it might be a little faster. I didn't time it, but my impression was that it seemed a little quicker. Unfortunately, I don't see a means to "UPLOAD" a video to the AZBox. Rats!

This next item is what really excites me... In the same general area of "RECORDING" on MaZEdit, you can EDIT a RESERVED RECORD PROGRAM. Here, you must have an entry established via the remote to begin with. However, you can edit the title and the start time and the duration among many other details with MaZEdit.

I have always disliked the "duration" time options available when setting up the recording using the AZBox menus and the remote. Your duration options are in 10 minute increments only. With MaZEdit, you can adjust this duration minute by minute! So if you want to record for 22 minutes or one hour and 17 minutes, or 2 hours and 4 minutes, you can set this here and upload this edit to the box and it will accept it.

You can also edit the program title here. Since it is so cumbersome to type the title in via the remote, you can do it here with your keyboard and upload it to the AZBox in a few short and simple steps.

These perks make recording programs with the AZBox much more convenient and friendy.

RADAR

Last edited:
I have had good luck so far (6 months or so) with Maz. However I just ran into a slight problem. The program comes up in Spanish. Any idea how to change the language back to English?

Thanks, Phi

I have had good luck so far (6 months or so) with Maz. However I just ran into a slight problem. The program comes up in Spanish. Any idea how to change the language back to English?

Thanks, Phi

In the configuration page, there is a section for OPTIONS that has a language selector (lower left). Select English and then also click on the diskette above to SAVE CHANGES TO PROFILE. That way it will remember to start in English.

No problems with version 3.0.0.0, but I had trouble with older versions not retaining this setting. This is probably what is happening to yours.

RADAR

This a more stable version, but it seems to disconnect from the Azbox very frequently, even though the connection button indicates "connected". Firmware version is 4890.

Unable to transfer channel list

RADAR

Thanks for the client! I have been attempting to use this program for quite awhile! I see the txt 7kb file under Desktop; however, I am unable to send it to the Azbox. Obviously, there is a setting on the Azbox, or something I have wrong. I am using Windows XP, and the latest firmware with the Azbox HD Premium Plus. Does anybody have a detailed instructions? Possibly with screen shots?
Thanks!

RADAR

Please can you re-send this file? It seems to be corrupt.

Thanks,

The most reliable editor is the remote.

This version of Maz has been working much better than previous versions.

Here is a re-up:

Attachments

• MaZ_3.zip
    2 MB · Views: 515

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)