Azbox Elite HD Hard Disk issues

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Christopherve7alb

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
Victoria BC
I recently purchased an Azbox elite HD and have just recently tried using it with an external Hard Disc. The timeshifting features work just fine but when I try to record programming I get a "fail to record" message. Also whenever the HDD is connected the system is sluggish and unresponsive, especially on High def. channels. I've tried with both FAT 32 and linux formatted HDs with the same results. Does anyone have any ideas?

I just installed an internal HDD on my Premium HD AZBox.

When I tried to select RECORD MODE, I received the message that no storage device was present. So I went into the SETTINGS > STORAGE MENU and deleted the partition and then let the AZBox reformat the HDD. It then recognized that the HDD drive was connected and would enter the record mode. It also recognizes the drive size and used space/free space available.

I would suspect that the procedure would be similar for an external HDD.

RADAR

Not all external USB hard drives are created equal.
What brand/size/model do you have?
Can you try a different one?

How does it do on SD programming?

Same problem on SD/HD channels. I've tried using different discs in the same enclosure with the same result so it's possible that the enclosure is hooped although it works on my PC fine. Interestingly enough it seems to be recording again now that I've rebooted the receiver but as soon as I stop recording and try to record something else I get the error.

1). Does this box take an IDE drive or a SATA drive?
Try a SATA, if it's supported.

2). Get a new box; one that does SATA drives.
Install high performance, big buffer drive, not one of those 5400 rpm GREEN bastards! - :rant:

Only thing green around here, are the lizards! - :D

trouble shooting ideas:

You have a 2½ inch SATA (laptop) drive in an external enclosure, that converts to USB, eh?
Not the way I'd start out. - :rolleyes:

Actually, I thought the AZbox took an internal SATA drive...?

I'd be tryin' the highest performer I could get my hands on, 'till I knew better.
Something like a WD Black series with the big buffer.
Then, I'd see what sort of lesser drive I could get by with.
You seem to have started pretty well at the opposite end of the scale. - :D

And since the USB box you are using is the common denominator, that'd have to go, too.

Of course, not everyone has lots of spares on hand.
I've got several modest performing (and older) external WD USB drives.
I have two modern WD external USB drives of 500 and 750gb. (which both work fine on my SD receivers)
Then, I got two brands of external boxes (unused) which take SATA drives, and have a cooling fan.
Then, I have 300, 500, and 750gb spare drives (the latter is that WD Black).
I don't have an AZbox, but if I did, I'd get to the bottom of this... and it may just simply be the firmware!

The Premium has an internal SATA option the elite only has USB. I've got a 3.5" case lying round but the actual Hard Disc is hooped so I guess I'll have to look for a decent SATA HDD for sale. Thanks for the advice

Well one of our local electronics retailers carries a couple of the maxtor drives, but I'd rather see if I can get something that I have lying around to work first though. I'll let you guys know how I make out.

Well one of our local electronics retailers carries a couple of the maxtor drives, but I'd rather see if I can get something that I have lying around to work first though. I'll let you guys know how I make out.

Christopherve7,

Just FYI, if you didn't see my post in another thread, I was able to utilize an external Maxtor "One Touch" 750 GB HD on the USB port. I simply allowed the AZBox to delete the original partition of this drive and then format (or reformat) it through the menus in the AZBox.

It works very well and now I have an internal 500GB Samsung HD and an external Maxtor USB HDD. I am able to record to either and copy or move recorded programs from one to the other.

I started this using the original image (firmware) that the AZBox came with, but I am now using the latest image (2880 I believe) and both worked.

The Samsung HD was originally installed in my AB IP Box 9000HD. I removed it from that box and installed it within my AZBox Premium. There were some modifications to the connectors that I had to make to accomodate this HD, but it was fairly straight forward.

The external USB Maxtor HD drive was a breeze, but it does take a long time to format this 750 GB drive. Prepare for 15-20 minutes, then it needs to reboot.

You may be trying to use a drive you already have that is different from what I am using, but I think if you allow the AZBox to delete the partition and reformat it under its own power and system parameters it may work.

Looking forward to your results with whatever you try, failures and successes. If you find any failures, that may help just as well as the successes. Always important to include that information for other's benefit and training.

RADAR

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)