AZBox grabs top honors from the Federal Justice Ministry of Brazil

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Hmmm, I didn't know the AZ was used for hacking, or capable of it.

I bet their "lost revenue" might stem from the fact that the AZbox is being
used to access the multitudes of "ITC" channels that are available to the area.

Ergo; no need for a subscription.

Innocent?, or guilty?

I havent seen any indication of piracy on the AZbox for North America, however I have signs of it for other countries.

Is Brazil going to ban computers altogether? Because anything that can be programmed could be used for piracy.

Apparently, dongles and card sharing are the culprits. It should also be noted that there are many so-called AZBoxes that certainly aren't by Opensat (and, according to the Opensat/AZbox website, they have been taking action against them).

The AZ office in South Florida was primarily for export to South America. The US distribution was a small secondary market. This had been discussed several times a few years back.

Like it or not, the main reason that the AZ came to North America was to provide for the demand for theft of service in South America. The US was merely an point in the distribution chain to supply the demand elsewhere. As always, follow the money trail..... North American hobbyists once again benefitted from STB development financed by hackers. Recently heard of anther popular European manufacturer who was about to set up distribution in South Florida to capitalize on this demand, but shelved plans as Brazil began to clamp down.

Expect to see a glut of cheap and unsupported S2 receivers get dumped on the NA market as STBs headed for Brazil get wholesaled to minimize the distributors losses.

Last edited:
The AZ office in South Florida was primarily for export to South America. The US distribution was a small secondary market. This had been discussed several times a few years back....
......Expect to see a glut of cheap and unsupported S2 receivers get dumped on the NA market as STBs headed for Brazil get wholesaled to minimize the distributers losses.

Gee, does that mean I can get an AZbox for $20.00?:rolleyes:

kodaz said:
Yeah, i blame it on Rio...

LOL! looks like Brazil is in the market for a new Box, eh Brian? :)

Niche market in Brazil for a FTA STB. It is all about theft of service and key sharing. Not a market that we are interested in.....

The Brazilian Federal Justice has decided to ban the sale, import and advertising of the STBs that enabled illegal Pay-TV channel access, known as AZBox

AZBox sale has been banned in Brazil | NexTV

I read that last October in Chile about 2,800 FTA boxes were confiscated and that kind of created a black market in which the boxes were then offered at 3 times their regular price.

Last edited:
Can see the minds at Dish salivating at that decision, and wishing they could do that here! Can almost imagine the "think tank" round table talk:

"All FTA boxes are hackable, therefore we ban all FTA boxes!"

"What about circular LNBs? No one would buy one unless they are using them to hack our precious service! Ban them all from being sold! Better ban all linear LNBs, since they can be modified to become circular!"

"Ku band dishes are used to point at our service, no one would buy one unless they are using them to hack our service. After all, there's nothing else up there that anyone in their right mind would want! Ban all Ku sized dishes! And ban C Band dishes as well, just because they are big and ugly, not like our cute little dishes!"

We leave the "think tank" before they get around to discussing banning coax and connectors...

I think that the pizza shops are the real pirates using satellite service here in the US! Just think about all the treasure they "legally steal" from people everyday!* I just wish that they were not so greedy and the same goes for cable and I probably should throw Hollywood in there somewhere too! I sure hope that they do not get any copycat ideas from Brazil!!!... :eek:

*OVERCHARGE for services!

RE: Overcharge for services?

There is a cure for that, but you'd never be able to get ppl to go along with what it would take to stop it. As long as you pay the price, they will continue to charge what they do regardless of whether the service worth a crap or not! If it costs them money from lost customers then they have to change in order to keep or get any new customers. So in essence, they charge what the market will bare and right now that market doesn't care enough to pull the plug to stop it.

FYI, I DON'T PAY FOR ANY TV, other than what the equipment costs and part of that stuff was purchased way back in 1988. With 16 channels of OTA, over half of which is HD and gawd only knows how many FTA channels I just can't see paying for any of it any more.

Watching TV using FTA or OTA! What a crime.No one should be able to get tv like they did in the old days!It takes $$$ out of the corporate greed wallet.Lets ban FTA and OTA all together:D

Thanks for the explanation, Brian. I had researched the azbox shortly after they came out and knew they were being used as hack boxes in S. America, which inflated the price some. But if that chip to get the 4.2.2 signals is as expensive as people say, then I cannot see the price of the boxes coming down too much. I remember there were youtube videos in Portugese explaining the hack when I did my research. I ended up with the S9 and am awaiting your new minibox release.

Heck I'd like my azbox to actually work right ;)
not asking for much...but just that when I record a show I dont want to worry "will it play back right or will it st-st-stutter"

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)