AZBox GREEN LED Indication

AcWxRadar

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 26, 2006
40 miles NW of Omaha. Omaha?
I have never thought about this, but I read a post (bug report) on the OPENSAT site where one individual stated that the GREEN LED did not illuminate when he was on an HD channel.

Is that the purpose of the GREEN LED? I tried this on 125°W for the HD PBS signals and it did not illuminate for me, either. But then again, I am using the same firmware that the poster at OpenSAT was complaining about.

It is not a concern to me whether the LED comes on or not, but I am curious if this is the correct (official) meaning of this GREEN LED. Does anyone know if this is the official purpose of the GREEN LED? Just to indicate that a HD channel is being received?

RADAR

Don't know. But I have noticed a few channels that say HD on the screen but the HD indicator in the INFO view doesn't illuminate. The stuff that claims to be HD does look better than stuff that is obviously SD. ABC "HD" on G4 certainly looks better than the other ABC channel on that sat.

I have never thought about this, but I read a post (bug report) on the OPENSAT site where one individual stated that the GREEN LED did not illuminate when he was on an HD channel.

Is that the purpose of the GREEN LED? I tried this on 125°W for the HD PBS signals and it did not illuminate for me, either. But then again, I am using the same firmware that the poster at OpenSAT was complaining about.

It is not a concern to me whether the LED comes on or not, but I am curious if this is the correct (official) meaning of this GREEN LED. Does anyone know if this is the official purpose of the GREEN LED? Just to indicate that a HD channel is being received?

RADAR
It's not a concern to me either what the lights do or don't do. My 68 yr old eyes can't even see the LEDs without getting up out of my recliner and kneeling down to look at the front panel, and then I only have about 20 seconds before my dogs jump on my back, because they think it's neat when someone is down on their level walking on all fours.
But my take is that until the firmware on this receiver is something other than "Beta" or a weekly "snapshot", there really isn't any such thing as a "correct (official) meaning" of a lot of things on this receiver. Seems like there are LOTS of things that aren't quite finished or have changed since the receiver itself was released. The "Manual" for this receiver hardly reflects what we see in the recent firmware. One of the big mysteries for me has been the little menu button on the remote. The manual describes it as doing some things that it doesn't do, and some of the screens seem to indicate that it should do some things that it doesn't, however there are operations that it DOES do, like changing audio channel, etc, that don't seem to be well documented. So I think the function of this receiver is still in it's growing stages.
Anyway, I think I saw the subject of one post (I didn't read the post itself) at their site, which said something like forget about adding new bells and whistles until you get the basic things working. I think that this really should be their goal, ie fix the high bitrate recording thing, fix the washed out video on some MPEG4 channels, give us some {slow} software blind scan, give us a channel editor that actually allows us to edit things, and then add the bells and whistles. I'm not sure where fixing the function of an LED light would fit into that plan, but it's pretty low on my priority list. :) But I really hope that they fix the basic things before they abandon the Elete/Premier versions, and put all their effort on this PLUS version. I'm really unhappy that the PLUS version came out at all, because that means that support for the ELETE/Primier will be less and less. These might even be receivers that have never gotten out of the BETA testing stage, and never had an official version of firmware, which would be sad.
That being said though, it's still be most capable receiver I've ever owned.

B.J.

I am sorry about your "eyesight". Can you even see what you are watching on the TV? HA! I don't mean to give you a hard time, but I am fast going in that direction, too. When I dabble with entering new TPs and sats and such, I have to get up out of my chair and walk over to my 37" Sharp TV and then "squint" to see the numbers that I just typed in to ensure that they are right! It requires me to take some extra time and care this way.

It was because of my degrading vision that I made an error and didn't observe the keyway on my DOM properly. I just took for granted that the "white" colored power connection on the replacement DOM was in the same orientation as it was on the original DOM. Ooops!

I agree that it would be a negative if OpenSAT would let the Elite and the Premium model support diminish because the PLUS models were released. However, I don't think that this will happen. I believe that we can be assured of this for the better part since all these models will utilize the same software (firmware) and the fact that there are so many original Elite and Premium models already in service. At least I am hopeful and optimistic that this is true, since I also have an original Premium model.

I don't think it will be like the Coolsat family, where they went wrong by trying to change the overall design so much between models that it made each model so uniquely different that each could not be adequately supported full time. Hopefully, OpenSAT will be more wise than that. They are currently doing well in this area in my opinion, they just need to ensure that they maintain it this way or improve it and not slide backwards.

As for the GREEN LED, I just never realized what the intended purpose was. I had some software tools and instructions to force it to illuminate, write your name on the VLF display etc. etc., but never did read or hear what the GREEN LED was designed in purpose for. It just had me questioning its function.

Like you stated in your reply, it isn't important. It is not important to me either. It was merely a matter of curiousity.

RADAR

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)