AZBox HD Premium - if & where

cbuddy

Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
CA
I am considering an AZBox HD Premium. Any input or experience about any of the following 3 questions would be greatly appreciated.
1. How is this box as far as quality?
2. How difficult is the Unit to use, especially as it uses Linux compatible software? (I have livery limited Linux experience.)
3. I am thinking about ordering it from one of the many suppliers in Hong Kong or Mainland China (Dream, others). Does anyone have any experience with any of these suppliers or with buying from a supplier based in Hong Kong or China?
Thanks, cbuddy

Rather than answer your questions, could you first tell us why are you interested in an Azbox? Are you aware there is a newer model, Premium +? I would suggest you start off by having a look at the different models on the AZbox website. While most of us here really like having it, the Azbox HD receviers are not the simplest or least expensive option available. With regards to your questions, the hardware is good quality, difficulty to use depends upon what you intend on doing with it and your expectations. Azbox HD receivers are produced in Korea by Celrun and sold by Opensat in Portugal. There are a few distributors here in NA. I'm not familiar with a Chinese supplier and would be concerned that such a purchase was a clone and not the real thing.

Last edited:
CBuddy,

How much experience do you have with satellite receivers and DIY projects regarding dish alignment and motor setups? And, how well versed are you with electronics and computer use?

These are critical questions to ask yourself.

You won't need to know Linux programming out of the gate here (and probably not ever more than just a general knowledge of it), but a really good computer skill level is recommended if you want to support your own AZBox to its full potential. It isn't a starter box by any means, I would not recommend it for a greenhorn to DIY FTA satellite TV, but if you already have a fair background in this realm, you can probably manage it.

The AZBox has some quirks still present, some of these require you to utilize supporting application programs that aren't perfect either and it may require you to use several different progams to support the whole box (there isn't just one program that does it all). The good thing is that all the support programs are freeware, so unless and until you want to get creative and fancy, you won't need to pay for any of the extraneous software. This is one of the perks of Linux. Therefore, basic support will be free. Creative support may require you to buy some peripheral software (but you might already have some of it if you are into computers and video processing gadgets and toys).

The AZBox is what I call a "Living Box" as the source code is Linux based. This means that if the manufacturer stops supporting the programming and software, everyone has access to that programming and can write their own programming for it (to an extent). This provides longer life to the support of the box - over other makes (brands). This is a plus, a pretty big one.

Since you have at least some (as you say limited) Linux background, that is much more than what I had as I had NONE!

Quality-wise, other than the few glitches with factory channel lists, and processing HD high bit rate video streams for RECORDING purposes, and a couple other minor items that aren't worth mentioning, I judge the overall quality as excellent. The box does a lot of things that no other box can do, but it isn't completely perfect. Obviously, no box really is perfect, but for as fancy as they got on this one and for the price, they probably should have done better in a few areas.

Honestly, I would judge it to be overpriced. It isn't worth the $400 - $450 that most retailers have set. I would set the price more around $279.73... but that is just my personal notion. I'm cheap, but fair.

I guess it is a judgment call from your own heart and mind.

The decision you make on what to buy has to be grounded in facts and specifications first, then on testimonials from others, but the ultimate decision is yours. The AZBox is expensive in my opinion. Whether it is worth it depends on your willingness to fork out the bucks and what you are confident to do with your own level of knowledge and experience. I do wish you the best of luck with any choice, and you do understand that we will be willing to assist you with all measures that we are capable of. We will welcome you to the AZBox club with open arms, so to speak, but we won't coddle or babysit you. It truly is a DIY thing, although we do share information.

Thumbs up if you go this way!

RADAR

AcWxRadar,
Very well said! My computer skills are above average. I dearly love the learning curve with the Azbox! I was researching this receiver for about two years before it became available in the United States. I purchased one [Azbox HD Premium Plus] for myself, and advised my friend to do likewise. And, have been using Ubuntu [Linus] for about that long. I love Linux! Allow me to add, although, you said it well enough, the ones involved are very helpful! I appreciate the assistance from every one.

Well, thanks for all the information. :up

As to computer experience, I can do a lot with many stock programs and run an LAN with nine computers networked, but have only awareness of Linux (Ubuntu), which both of my kids use exclusively. I have only done a few things on an Ubuntu OS machine my son programmed for me to learn on - unfortunately, where I work (teacher) we are not allowed to use any Linux stuff or even compatible software such as Open Office or other Sun programs. As I spend at least a dozen hours every week doing a variety of tasks on computers, it doesn't leave me a lot of time to explore Linux compatibles as I would like to. From what I've seen, nearly everything Linux requires help from other users.

As to dishes and electronics, I have been using my obsolete analog set-up for 18 years, and can get anything it is designed to do to work. I also have an amateur radio ticket, and have built numerous antennas, circuits, etc., but in no way consider my self to be very more than a good tinkerer.

I am looking into the AZBox because it is about the only box I've found that does all of the MPEG and DVB protocols I see listed variously on satellite lists on Lyngsat.com. I have also been told by various contributors on a few sites that it is about the only box around that does as much as it does. I did read about the HD Premium + and the Ultra (both on the Z site & forums), and very few things I've seen show much difference between the Ultra and the Premium + (the unit I am currently leaning toward, as it seemed to me the older Premium was more or less obsolete with the advent of the +), but did fail to indicate that in my query.

So, all in all, it is the great feedback from all of you that is what I seek, as I will have to try and determine just what my confidence level with using the AZBox really is,a and if it is a reasonable value for me - I really don't need or even want many of the features The AZBox has, but have been left behind by changing TV technology enough times in the last 15 years to know that it may be worthwhile to have the capabilities at hand for what will likely be needed for at least several years ahead.

So thanks again, and I'll definitely be reading on!

Last edited:
Guys,

I have a similar problem - need advise to make FTA receiver choice.
I have no experience with FTA. I checked several sites for receiver options and couldn't narrow down to a system that I need to buy.
Based on reviews on "satelliteguys.us" all these receivers aren't good - Pansat 9200HD PVR, Coolsat 8100HD PVR, Viewsat Max HD PVR, Openbox9 HD, and Sonicview SV-HD 8000 .
Based on your conversation hear, AZBox is complex.
I have good computer skills - Network Admin, Linux is not a problem .
Please recommend a HD receiver.

Thanks

Guys,

I have a similar problem - need advise to make FTA receiver choice.
I have no experience with FTA. I checked several sites for receiver options and couldn't narrow down to a system that I need to buy.
Based on reviews on "satelliteguys.us" all these receivers aren't good - Pansat 9200HD PVR, Coolsat 8100HD PVR, Viewsat Max HD PVR, Openbox9 HD, and Sonicview SV-HD 8000 .
Based on your conversation hear, AZBox is complex.
I have good computer skills - Network Admin, Linux is not a problem .
Please recommend a HD receiver.

Thanks

Vpaniyan,

We truly cannot reccommend any receiver, one over another. We can steer you away from anything that is absolutely junk as that is totally ethical and a proper service to anyone who is shopping around.

This area of the forum is obviously going to be somewhat biased towards the AZBox family, but if you read around a while, you'll get all the straight information (pros and cons) that you need to know about the AZBox.

The AZBox will process all current HD formats, but has trouble recording some of them (especially those with higher bit rates). Please browse the threads here to learn what we are doing with this STB and what problems we are experiencing. We probably have the best, straight-forward and most complete technical support of the AZBox nearly anywhere (except in Europe where they are doing different things with it and have had much longer to experiment). SatelliteGuys probably has the best support in N.A. as all the members here are working hard as a team of our own to get the best answers and information. Although this is a definite DIY project, there is a lot of necessary support here.

Take your time before you decide, just digest the information we have put forth first.

RADAR

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts