azbox kinda has two tuners in it.....sort of

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
stumbled upon this tonight......

was recording a program on a transponder and I accidentally hit channel up to go to another channel on the TP. I was like oh crap I nuked my recording. SO I went back to the original channel and checked...recording fine

so then I did another test where I picked any other channel on that TP while it was still recording the original channel and it still worked. If I try and go to another TP I get the "you are recording do you wish to stop" message

This may be old news to other folks but its new to me :) Did not know I could record a channel and at least watch another on the same TP. Makes it good if you record a show on say the 4:2:2 mux on G16 and want to flip through the other channels. Or record something on PBS World and watch something on Create :)

stumbled upon this tonight......

was recording a program on a transponder and I accidentally hit channel up to go to another channel on the TP. I was like oh crap I nuked my recording. SO I went back to the original channel and checked...recording fine

so then I did another test where I picked any other channel on that TP while it was still recording the original channel and it still worked. If I try and go to another TP I get the "you are recording do you wish to stop" message

This may be old news to other folks but its new to me :) Did not know I could record a channel and at least watch another on the same TP. Makes it good if you record a show on say the 4:2:2 mux on G16 and want to flip through the other channels. Or record something on PBS World and watch something on Create :)
Interesting. I hadn't noticed that. I wonder if the additional CPU usage reduces the maximum bitrate that you can record? Along that same line, but in the other direction, since it suggests that recording is a completely separate process from viewing, although both require separate parsing of A/V PIDs, I wonder if perhaps you could start recording, then quickly switch to some menu page where the video is not being viewed..... would this take some of the CPU load off the box, and possibly allow you to record higher bitrates???
The thing is, that recording shouldn't require much CPU power, regardless of the bitrate. It's displaying the video that requires a lot of CPU time, unless it's all done in hardware. So if somehow we can make it so that the box doesn't have to waste time displaying moving video, by putting some static menu screen up, then perhaps it can record without errors. Of course that's just the first half of the problem, the 2nd problem being playing back that recording once it's recorded..... perhaps that's even more important, but one step at a time I guess.

The SonicView 8000HD allows you to record and watch any other TP on the same polarity I think. My CS 8000, like the Azbox apparently, only allows you to do it on the same Mux. It is acctually the same Mux not the same TP since some TP have several independent signals on it, SCPC.

The SonicView 8000HD allows you to record and watch any other TP on the same polarity I think.
the azbox cant do that. Tried that with the same polarity. Was recording @Sports on 87W and tried to go to Nasa and got the popup. The other channels in the mux (INN, Estrella) worked fine

My CS 8000, like the Azbox apparently, only allows you to do it on the same Mux. It is acctually the same Mux not the same TP since some TP have several independent signals on it, SCPC.

I think you mean the 8100...the 8000 has no PVR option ;)

The Sathawk is the same way...allows you to watch one program in same mux while recording another

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)