AZBOX AzBox miniMe American edition version 1.65 firmware

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

pwrsurge

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 7, 2007
Canada
AzBox Canada and AzBox US are proud to announce the release of firmware version 1.65 for the AzBox miniMe American Edition.

This new version includes the following enhancements.

New features:
- Implemented ability to rename channels from the remote control. Procedure is similar to deleting channels where you need to select the desired channel in the channels list, press the menu key and select the rename function from the popup menu.
- Added ability to control the level of thoroughness for blindscan and improved scan performance by tweaking tuner driver code.
- Added percentage display during scan.
- Added transponder frequency to default name for unnamed channels. Unnamed channels now scan in as: "Freq: xxxxx MHz Service y" instead of only "Service y"
- Added ability to load or save channels list from/to USB drive for users with no LAN who want to edit their channels list using the DSEdit for miniMe American Edition software.
- Implemented support to upgrade kernel for future updates.

Bug fixes:
- Fixed scanning channels with no valid SDT. This fixes the issue where certain unnamed channels would not scan in unless PIDs were manually entered. Issue reported by danleeper80 and migold - Thank you
- Fixed display of encryption system in Signal analyzer when tuned to an encrypted channel by moving signal bars lower. Issue reported by QA
- Fixed broken web streaming on certain channels. Long outstanding issue reported by developers
- Enhanced demux initialization on boot. This fixes the occasional no video issue on first channel after boot. Remember that you may manually reinitialize the demux at anytime by pressing MENU then the BLUE button twice. Issue reported by Tanka / luis2 - Thank you
- Fixed satellite list menu handling Issue reported by QA
- Fixed loss of USALS longitude and latitude parameters when trying to do scan before going in scan setup first. Issue reported by QA
- Improved performance in antenna setup on systems with lots of activated satellites.Issue reported by Tanka / luis2 - Thank you
- Currently tuned satellite is now selected by default when doing manual or blind scan. Issue reported by developers
- Miscellaneous minor bug fixes

Available for download now via the Internet update function on network connected receivers or download via our support page to install using your USB flash drive.

Best regards,

PwrSurge
AzBox Canada & US

Last edited:
To show the new features added to this firmware release, here are a few screenshots...

20130822-00054.jpg

Here is the new Rename function located under the context-sensitive Edit menu accessible by pressing the Menu key after the desired channel is selected. You would then be able to rename the channel using the number keys on the Remote control. In case you are wondering, yes the assignment for each letter is printed on the remote control's keys and is also shown on the screen while renaming channels for easy reference.

20130822-00059.jpg

The GUI settings save and load menu options have been replaced with the new channel list save and load functions in this firmware version which allows you to save or load your channel list using a USB external drive. The GUI settings are still saved as part of the Backup system configuration option which saves everything, including antenna settings and the channels list.

20130822-00062.jpg

A new scan mode parameter was added in order to control the level of thoroughness to be used during blind scan.

20130822-00063.jpg

The detailed option takes more time for scanning but does find additional channels on some satellites.

20130822-00064.jpg

And here we have the blind scan in action finding numerous transponders...

20130822-00066.jpg

The scan status field now shows progress in both transponder count and percentage.

Best regards,

Last edited:
Here in the UK with Universal LNB set at 10600 a scan of 24W seems to ignore any channels with an SR lower than 6000 with the defaults settings in the blind scan left alone, even a detailed scan did not download anything lower than 6000 on the same satellite. This has been tried many times. My ME on the other hand, with OPEN ATV blindscan found 6 feeds with the SR of 3110 no problem at all in half the time even with the scan set at 'quick' on the Minime. Overall this firmware is getting better but I find the blind scan somewhat lacking on Ku.

Did you try reducing the step size down to something like 2500 or possibly increasing it instead? Blindscan was tested over here as being functional on various LNBF types including Universal (9750/10600) which you are using. However, you may need to play with the step size parameter depending how tight frequencies are being allocated on the satellites you are scanning over there.

Best regards,

Last edited:
Did you try reducing the step size down to something like 2500 or possibly increasing it instead? Blindscan was tested over here as being functional on various LNBF types including Universal (9750/10600) which you are using. However, you may need to play with the step size parameter depending how tight frequencies are being allocated on the satellites you are scanning over there.

Best regards,

Thanks. I will do more experimenting in a bit when this bird gets busy with feeds in around an hours time. (UK time that is)

FYI, to speed up blindscan and the general operation of the receiver, you may want to try and reduce the Tune timeout parameter in the Setup tuner menu.
To get there, press MENU on the remote, select Channels, Tuners and then (3) Setup tuner.

The default value for the Tune timeout parameter is 40 which means that the receiver will try up to 4 seconds in order to lock a transponder (i.e. 1 = 10 msec).
However, if the satellites you are receiving all have medium to strong signal, there is probably no reason to have the tune timeout value so high so you can try lowering it to 30 or even 20 to improve tuner performance. To change the tune timeout value, use left or right arrow keys to select the desired value while the tune timeout field is highlighted, press exit once then select Save settings now to save your selection.

If you find out that you are unable to tune certain channels and receive the "Channel not available" error message even though you know the channel is active then try increasing the tune timeout value a bit higher.

Best regards,

FYI, to speed up blindscan and the general operation of the receiver, you may want to try and reduce the Tune timeout parameter in the Setup tuner menu.
To get there, press MENU on the remote, select Channels, Tuners and then (3) Setup tuner.

The default value for the Tune timeout parameter is 40 which means that the receiver will try up to 4 seconds in order to lock a transponder (i.e. 1 = 10 msec).
However, if the satellites you are receiving all have medium to strong signal, there is probably no reason to have the tune timeout value so high so you can try lowering it to 30 or even 20 to improve tuner performance. To change the tune timeout value, use left or right arrow keys to select the desired value while the tune timeout field is highlighted, press exit once then select Save settings now to save your selection.

If you find out that you are unable to tune certain channels and receive the "Channel not available" error message even though you know the channel is active then try increasing the tune timeout value a bit higher.

Best regards,

Ok will try that, as changing what you suggested didn't seem to make any difference. I even tried a manual scan but that wouldn't download it either. The 1.56 firmware was ok.

Best regards,

you mean 100ms. There are 1000ms in a second. So if 40 = 4 sec, then 1 = 100ms

UDL

Pwrsurge;
Thanks for the update. I downloaded via Internet and it went very smoothly and I had the miniME rebooted and playing more quickly than I expected.
?Thanks!

Ok will try that, as changing what you suggested didn't seem to make any difference. I even tried a manual scan but that wouldn't download it either. The 1.56 firmware was ok.

Hmmmm, no difference. this blind scan is hit and miss. I can scan 24W and get 30 odd channels the run the same scan and get about 8 with nothing changed in the parameters. I have a MiniMe with Open ATV which exhibits exactly the same problem. I think this is tuner related as the ME has no problem whatsoever with feeds with low SR's
The American MiniMe edition will find the transponders on the intitial scan but fails in its attemps to download any channel. As I said before even entering the details in a manual scan I get the same result, nothing! Go back to 1.56 firmware and all is OK. So whatever you tweaked in the 1.65 ain't working over the pond my friend.

Hmmmm, no difference. this blind scan is hit and miss. I can scan 24W and get 30 odd channels the run the same scan and get about 8 with nothing changed in the parameters. I have a MiniMe with Open ATV which exhibits exactly the same problem. I think this is tuner related as the ME has no problem whatsoever with feeds with low SR's
The American MiniMe edition will find the transponders on the intitial scan but fails in its attemps to download any channel. As I said before even entering the details in a manual scan I get the same result, nothing! Go back to 1.56 firmware and all is OK. So whatever you tweaked in the 1.65 ain't working over the pond my friend.

So what you are saying is the blind scan under the 1.56 firmware version finds more channels then the 1.65 version when scanning with "Quick" mode? These two are supposed to more or less return the same results and the "Detailed" mode scan introduced in the 1.65 version should return even more results at the expense of time required to complete the scan.

Best regards,

What I'm saying is that most of the UK newsfeeds use either 3110 and 1599SR and the 1.65 will find them in it's intial scan but no channels will download, even if I enter say 11.471V 3110 7/8 [which is a 24hour feed] in a manual scan, it won't download anything, but this is the opposite in 1.56 which works fine. It seems anything under a SR of 3000 the 1.65 firmware will not download channels. The Minimum SR is always set at 1000 BTW.

What I'm saying is that most of the UK newsfeeds use either 3110 and 1599SR and the 1.65 will find them in it's intial scan but no channels will download, even if I enter say 11.471V 3110 7/8 [which is a 24hour feed] in a manual scan, it won't download anything, but this is the opposite in 1.56 which works fine. It seems anything under a SR of 3000 the 1.65 firmware will not download channels. The Minimum SR is always set at 1000 BTW.

So the 24h feed on 11.471 V 3110 7/8 does not lock under 1.65 when doing a manual transponder scan but it does under 1.56? If so then please try increasing the tune timeout parameter from 40 to 50 or 60 to see if it helps. If it does, we can make some slight tweaks in the tuner driver code so that it locks properly under the default 40 timeout setting.

Best regards,

So the 24h feed on 11.471 V 3110 7/8 does not lock under 1.65 when doing a manual transponder scan but it does under 1.56? If so then please try increasing the tune timeout parameter from 40 to 50 or 60 to see if it helps. If it does, we can make some slight tweaks in the tuner driver code so that it locks properly under the default 40 timeout setting.

Best regards,

Correct. I have ramped up the tuner timeout in stages of ten all the way to 100 and it won't lock it. 1.56 is fine with default tuner timeout set a t default [40]

Thank you for providing your feedback. We have identified what is causing your issue and will release a priority firmware update within the next day or so in order to resolve it.

Best regards,

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)