AZBOX AzBox miniMe American edition version 2.00 beta firmware

pwrsurge

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 7, 2007
Canada
AzBox Americas is proud to announce the long awaited release of firmware version 2.00 for the AzBox miniMe American Edition.

This new version focuses on improving stability and performance along with several bug fixes and an updated satellite list. The Youtube player has also been fixed in this version.

Please note that since this firmware version includes a new kernel, it is NOT possible to preserve user settings during the update so we strongly recommend backup up your current user settings to a USB flash drive before updating. Once the update is completed, the backed up user settings can easily be restored without any issues.

To backup your all your system settings which includes dish configuration and scanned channels, go to:
Settings -> Manage settings -> Backup system configuration after connecting a USB drive to the unit.

Restoring your system backup including dish configuration and scanned channels is just as easy:
Settings -> Manage settings -> Restore system configuration then select your time stamped backup file off your connected USB drive.

*** IMPORTANT*** During the upgrade procedure, you will be prompted towards the end of the process if you wish to "Preserve user settings during firmware update?". YOU MUST ANSWER NO TO THIS QUESTION IN ORDER TO PROPERLY COMPLETE THE UPDATE!!!

Firmware available for download now via the Internet update function on network connected receivers or download via our support page on azbox.ca or azbox.us to install using your USB flash drive.

Last edited:
AzBox Americas is proud to announce the long awaited release of firmware version 2.00 for the AzBox miniMe American Edition.

This new version focuses on improving stability and performance along with several bug fixes and an updated satellite list. The Youtube player has also been fixed in this version.

Please note that since this firmware version includes a new kernel, it is NOT possible to preserve user settings during the update so we strongly recommend backup up your current user settings to a USB flash drive before updating. Once the update is completed, the backed up user settings can easily be restored without any issues.

To backup your all your system settings which includes dish configuration and scanned channels, go to:
Settings -> Manage settings -> Backup system configuration after connecting a USB drive to the unit.

Restoring your system backup including dish configuration and scanned channels is just as easy:
Settings -> Manage settings -> Restore system configuration then select your time stamped backup file off your connected USB drive.

*** IMPORTANT*** During the upgrade procedure, you will be prompted towards the end of the process if you wish to "Preserve user settings during firmware update?". YOU MUST ANSWER NO TO THIS QUESTION IN ORDER TO PROPERLY COMPLETE THE UPDATE!!!

Firmware available for download now via the Internet update function on network connected receivers or download via our support page on azbox.ca or azbox.us to install using your USB flash drive.

Great update, NOT, flashed 2 boxes now I have sweet FA, no picture, unable to start in safe mode on both boxes. There was a message before flashing saying your box might not reboot after the update????? So what now, do I have have 2 doorstops??

Even tried using the AV output at the back in case it was just HDMI related, but no, nothing, black screen, the box is rebooting I think, with the power button at the front, but this is not much use without a bloody picture!
Do you think you need to pull this firmware before somebody else does the same to their box or boxes???

Which firmware version did you have before updating and did you update over the Internet or USB? Was the update process able to fully complete and did the receiver reboot at the end?
Did you answer No when prompted to preserve the user settings?

We tested each method extensively over here and had no issues. Do you have any USB flash drives connected when booting, if so please disconnect them and try again.

Could it be caused by the fact that the firmware defaults in NTSC mode and that your European PAL television can't display NTSC?

1.86 was in, Internet Update on both boxes, said No to settings, Went all through the flashing process OK final picture was ready on to of the global progess, and yes my TV, will display NTSC

Just trying to start in 'safe mode' no picture at all so I cannot do a darn thing, I suggest something is broken in the Internet download perhaps?
The boxes won't even response to IR commands, so it's totally stuffed

Just tested again upgrading from v1.86 to v2.00 on a new receiver via the Internet update function and there were no issues. If there was something wrong with the downloaded file then the system would not even try to flash it as it is first checked using md5sum and other methods to ensure it is valid.

If you did in fact receive the "Preserve user settings during firmware update?" message then the new kernel and safe mode partition were already successfully flashed at this point so worse case scenario, safe mode should still work even if you answered "Yes" by mistake. Did you see the "Erasing flash..." and the "Programming flash..." processes execute once more after answering "No" to the Preserve user settings dialog? If so then the main partition would have been flashed as well.

After holding the power button for about 5 seconds and the blue ring light starts flashing, unplug the power and all other cables from your receiver for at least 60 seconds to properly clear the RAM chips and try booting your receiver again.

Last edited:
Well, you can add mine to the "bricked" list as well. I first thought I would try the USB upgrade route and avoid the Internet upgrade method but the downloaded file was not even recognized on my USB device. Most likely it was because of the KFL extension on the file rather than the usual IMG but I don't know. With that option out, i decided to brave the Internet option and now my unit is at the AzBox miniME logo screen with a forever flashing "Azbox starting" message. I tried to boot into safe mode, but it won't go there now. All I get is what I just described. During the upgrade process, I got a message that said something about my unit was on a different upgrade cycle (or something like that) and I said to continue anyway. Then it went through the upgrade process and just sat there doing nothing further. I finally unplugged the unit waited for a mnute, and plugged it back in. Everything booted correctly at this point, but then I went to set it up and entered my coordinates into the USALS options. After doing that and selecting BACK, the unit rebooted without on its own and now I am still watching the "AzBox Starting" flashing over and over. The starting while holding down the #1 on the remote does not force the unit into safe mode anymore. My hopes were dashed rather quickly with this upgrade.

Also, for what it is worth, I did say NOT to preserve user setting during the installation. I have tried everything I know or have read here and it simply will not start anymore. Too bad. From what I saw in the menus, there were things to like but I sure didn't get very far.

How long did you wait before unplugging? For a while during the update it looks like nothing is happening but it actually is processing. No matter what, you should never manually reboot or unplug until waiting at least 10 minutes after the update process starts.

The kfl file extension stands for Kernel FLASH and is correct for this firmware update. As long as you were running a recent firmware such as 1.86, you should have had no issues seeing the .kfl file on your USB stick.

As a new kernel is being flashed along with both safe mode and working partitions, the update takes at least 5 minutes to complete.

Last edited:
I fixed lunch while letting it complete so it was longer than a 5 minute wait. The global progress had completed and it said that the upgrade was successful, but then it just sat there with a black screen. The TV did see some kind of signal though. All seemed well since after I plugged it back in, everything was working. I had activated the satellites and configured each one. i did look around the menus a bit and everything was there with some new options as well. The problem occurred only after the unit did the unexpected reboot after changing the coordinates in the USALS Options. In fact, it was fine until I made the changes and selected BACK which is when the reboot occurred and the starting never quits. If there is indeed a 5 minute or longer "black screen" time in the upgrade process, it might be best to put that in the upgrade instructions. The process gave me every indication that it had succeeded and was complete but I still waited for a time after that. Anyway, I guess the question is what am I to do now?

If it said that the upgrade was successful then the update process fully completed. You also were able to boot to the new firmware at least once so your issue is obviously not related to a failed firmware upgrade.

A flashing AzBox starting... message means that for some reason, there's a setting in the configuration file that somehow did not get saved properly.

Fortunately, the fix should be easy but I would first like to try and replicate the issue you are experiencing.

Regardless of the issue, this should not prevent you to boot in safe mode so please try to boot in safe mode again by:

1. Holding power for 5+ seconds until blue light ring starts flashing then release.

2. Immediately press & hold the 1 key on your remote and don't let go until you see "AzBox starting in safe mode..."

3. In safe mode, try to update with the kfl file on your USB flash drive and wait till the update completes. Please not that the "Preserve user settings" question won't get asked this time as your are in safe mode.

4. Once the receiver is reboots, hold down the 0 key till you see the "AzBox starting..." message then let go.

Hopefully this gets you back up and running. If safe mode still not works then don't worry as a flashing "AzBox starting..." message can also be fixed either via FTP or telnet by deleting the offending configuration file.

If we are able to replicate your issue then I will be able to let you know exactly which file to rename or delete.

Please note, Internet Radio loads up fast but it still FREEZES!!!!!!!!! and requires reboot

Sorry forgot to mention in the original message but we did not have the chance to make the Online radio player work in this firmware version as we wanted to release a firmware update before the holidays.

The audio, video and YouTube players from the Media menu should all be working fine however.

The online radio player will be fixed in an upcoming firmware update.

Last edited:
No matter what I do I cannot get any picture at all, just a black screen. Never had this trouble with previous upgrades, and why have 2 boxes suffered the same fate?

No matter what I do I cannot get any picture at all, just a black screen. Never had this trouble with previous upgrades, and why have 2 boxes suffered the same fate?

Do you see "AzBox starting..." on your TV? Does your TV say "no signal" or "mode not supported"?