Azimuth adjustments on HD DTV Satellite

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Zeta09

Oct 1, 2010
Arizona
Hey guys.

First time poster long time follower and have had DTV since Feb 09'. Have (2) HD21 receivers and 2 SD receivers. No DVR. Have the Dish (slimline 5S) on the ground in a sled so I have direct access to it. UNFORTUNATELY for me when the wifey decided to move the trash can by the dish and didn't pay attention she bumped it out of alignment. Tilt and Elevation are locked so I think just the Azimuth needs fine tuning......

Now I am to the point where I can get 1 HD receiver signals (most channels seem to work haven't tried all of them) but not the other at all. the problem HD receiver has good SS on 101 (95-97%) but I don't know which satellites are the HD ones for DTV and what strength should I look for for those to get ALL my sports package HD signal for tommorrows games.

Please let me know

Thanks in advance.

jdspencer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 22, 2004
Binghamton, NY
HD comes from the 99 and 103 satellites. With SS on 101 being that high, there is probably more than azimuth being out of whack. You should check the mast being plumb. If you do make slight adjustments to azimuth, mark the current setting on the pole and then move it slightly and wait for the signal to lock on.
BTW, what are the readings from 99 and 103? Signal strengths for these should also be 90+.
It is also possible, but unlikely, that the reflector got bent slightly.

Zeta09

Oct 1, 2010
Arizona
I'll keep it in mind...

Thanks JD.

My help just came to visit the grandkids so I'll be working on it a bit later tonight and see what I get.

Right now (since the last time I adjusted) it's around 66-81 over 14 transponders (~71 avg) on Sat 99, 40-71 over 16 ts on Sat 103 (ca; ~55 avg) and 62-77 on Sat 103 (cb; avg ~72). The mast may be a bit down but it's on rocks/gravel so I'll get as close to the way it was as I can.

We'll see if I can get it. Again I have HD receiver that works fine and has all the channels playing whereas the other HD receiver in my office doesn't get ANY signal AT ALL. Keeps giving me "Satellite not found...... Re-test"

Zeta09

Oct 1, 2010
Arizona
So...

The best I could do is 83% SS on the worst transponder (lowest SS%). Still doing the same thing. Getting all the way to 98% in the "Acquiring guide data" screen then stalling out.

I don't understand. Other HD receiver is fine and has all my HD sports channels. Man this blows. Am I going to have to shell out $50+ for ONE receiver. All connections checked and are a go. Satellite is probably in the best position it's going to get and this one silly receiver is no go.

One thing of note. I did notice that the other working HD receiver had 2 more satellites available to it when I checked it's signal strength. Forgive me but I don't remember the names and I may do it again tomm and post my results.

Zeta09

Oct 1, 2010
Arizona
Sooooo........

Hopefully this will help any in the future who encountered this situation but scenario was this:

Dish is on a sled next to the side of my house. Wife inadvertently bumps dish enough to wack it out of alignment.

I go out and attempt to get dish re-aligned and get 3 (1 HD and 2 SD receivers) out of 4 to work. Final HD receiver is stubborn and continues to not complete setup (stalls each time @ 98%) and config message states "Unable to connect to satellite please re-test" After many resets, restarts and unplugs same result. Then I find a DTV post on their forums where one guy has a similar situation and he pulls his auth card out and unplugs his receiver for 3+ hours (his stated time) then replugs it in and gets his setup back.

Well I tried it as well (took card out and left it uplugged over night) and once plugged back in and setup completed, was greeted to a very lively Indiana/Michigan game on the sole, stubborn HD receiver.

All I can say is I guess the auth card may have been the culprit but regardless I am back in business and found the SOLUTION mostly through the internet and trial/error. Saved $50+ and disproved the phone tech that attempted to help me who I quote in saying "You are fighting an very uphill battle as many of my customers can not successfully make the fine adjustments needed to realign the satellite".
Me: "So the other HD receiver in my family that is working as we speak....was I just lucky??"
Phone Tech: "Yes."

This High Life is for you Disgruntled and overly pessimistic yet underpaid DTV Phone tech. I should have bought a lottery ticket tonight as well....

(Sigh)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)