Azimuth setting on BUD

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

GreatFTA

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
Mississippi Delta
I decided to move my 8 foot dish to another location. I did that yesterday.
It has been at least 10 years since I set the settings on the dish. I'm keeping the original settings like it is.
I want to set the azimuth using the compass app in my iPhone SE. When I reached the true north, the iPhone screen would turn red.
What I going to do is to put a straight board on top of the mount cap facing north. The board would be 2 feet long, with a pencil line centered so I can center the iPhone. The iPhone will be placed at the end of the board. The reason I'm doing this from the back of the dish is that the board would be jamming against the dish if I go southward. Plus I hope the distance from the mount won't interfere with the compass app reading.
With that setup I turn the dish mount until the North point in compass turns red. The azimuth for the dish would be set.
What I need to know is about the magnetic difference of the true north based in my area (Merigold, MS). How do I adjust the difference so my dish would be in right azimuth?
Have anyone tried this method?

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

You can try this out: https://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/geomag-web/#declination

If you moved it on your own property then it should be relatively easy to re-align.
You'll never get it perfect with a phone app or compass, you know where you can lock it down and your done.
I have found it will always be off a little. Just run through the procedure to line up a dish, except if all if spot on, you will not have to mess with the declination or elevation nuts.
If you have forgotten, just read through this and brush up on it.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/bud-manual.222234/

Thanks! Years ago I would do this by sight, like finding the "zenith " satellite and focused on it for best possible signal strength then go from there. It was hard and time consuming.
My thinking is since all the other settings of the dish is already set, all I can do is to set the azimuth and fine tune the dish (if needed).
I read from one of the BUD sites about this technique using a board and compass. I figured if I can get the dish lined up to the true south then I won't have the hassle and headache getting the satellite arc right.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

IMG_1219.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts