Azteca 93.1 on Dish 500 - Sucess! (pics)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DirectDishNet

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 25, 2007
Davenport Iowa
Azteca 93.1 on Dish 500 - Success! (pics)

Finally got my LNB's that I ordered from Sadoun. The LNB's arrived very fast and packed very secure.
Converted a Dish 500 to hold the T-1500 LNB and aimed it at 93.1, To my surprise the signal was very strong and I was able to scan all of the Azteca channels along with the CCCTV set. Given the signal strength on Azteca, I don't think there will be any issues with rain fade.

Ran out of sunlight for today so tomorrow I am going to convert the Dish 1000.2 (shown in pic) to a KU dish and find another cool satellite!

Attachments

• d1.jpg
    d1.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 582
  • d2.jpg
    d2.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 380
  • d5.jpg
    d5.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 326
  • d6.jpg
    d6.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 377
  • P1030290.JPG
    P1030290.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 323
Last edited:
Good job DirectDishNet , specially on how you adapted that monopole arm to hold the LNB in place. Excellent project

Nice going!

I was a able to get a stable signal of CCTV9 on 95W with a old Direct TV dish 18" Dish and a Linear LNB today. BTW .. I was able to get 3ABN on 101W with the same setup a few weeks back.

What size is the Dish 500 and 1000 ?

sweet setup :)

Now you can get the Spanish family you were talking about the other day set up for Azteca :)

sweet setup :)

Now you can get the Spanish family you were talking about the other day set up for Azteca :)

Thanks Iceberg!.
Yep, My goal was to come up with a cheap way to get the Azteca channels for the families that are waiting on me to bring it to them. And by using the dish 500 with a ku lnb is much cheaper than buying a 75-90cm dish set up each time. As I mentioned, I don't think rain fade will be an issue with the strong transponder Azteca uses. I tested the rain fade by holding a wet window screen over the dish. Could not get the signal to drop more then 5%. When holding the wet window screen between the dish and lnb, The signal maintained a 45% strength.

dark clouds will kill the signal more than rain but I dont think we have to worry about that for a while....snow maybe ;)

You might want to let them know that there is a possibility of the signal going out quicker because of the smaller dish....but on the positive side there isnt as big of a dish out there

What are you using for the arm?

Good job DirectDishNet , specially on how you adapted that monopole arm to hold the LNB in place. Excellent project

I want to second that.

What are you using there for the LNB arm?

I want to second that.

What are you using there for the LNB arm?

Using the Directv strut arm that comes with the Slimline dish's.
There are two sizes (small and large), I used the small one for the dish 500's and the long one for the dish 1000.2 dish.

Attachments

• MTAT9S.jpg
    MTAT9S.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 162
  • MTAT9L.jpg
    MTAT9L.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 158
  • SLSPF_300.jpg
    SLSPF_300.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 156
Using the Directv strut arm that comes with the Slimline dish's.
There are two sizes (small and large), I used the small one for the dish 500's and the long one for the dish 1000.2 dish.

If you have any extra monopoles, let me know pal. I might need some for copy cat project with Azteca for the family :D

Thats right,, they actually called monopoles..

Monopoles, Thats right....I was trying to remember the correct name for them, It was on the tip of my tongue. Thanks

I scored 2 box's of these (20 monopole sets) as my RSP was cleaning house and they tossed them in the dumpster... I knew someday they would come in handy.

recycle:

No offense to running left-over Dish 500's... if ya got 'em, smoke 'em, as we used to say in the military.
But all this hoopla over monopoles is a subject dealt with long ago in a previous thread...
... and by using all the DirecTV dish, not just a small part. :D
So, if you're gonna be recycling, don't leave the best parts behind. - :up

http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-ai...ofitting-phase-iii-ku-maybe-3.html#post883196

PS: no, Whitesprings is no longer there, but the dish still gets the job done. :)

edit: and well beyond all the joking, there's an actual good reason to use the DirecTV dish.
The LNB support arm is longer, making it easy to mount the LNB to it.
The Dish 500 arm is shorter, making some sort of extension a necessity.
Here's one of the more imaginative ideas posted here on the forum - :D - credit to McGuyver!

Last edited:
No offense to running left-over Dish 500's... if ya got 'em, smoke 'em, as we used to say in the military.
But all this hoopla over monopoles is a subject dealt with long ago in a previous thread...
... and by using all the DirecTV dish, not just a small part. :D
So, if you're gonna be recycling, don't leave the best parts behind. - :up

http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-ai...ofitting-phase-iii-ku-maybe-3.html#post883196

PS: no, Whitesprings is no longer there, but the dish still gets the job done. :)

edit: and well beyond all the joking, there's an actual good reason to use the DirecTV dish.
The LNB support arm is longer, making it easy to mount the LNB to it.
The Dish 500 arm is shorter, making some sort of extension a necessity.
Here's one of the more imaginative ideas posted here on the forum - :D - credit to McGuyver!

Cool... but kinda like the monopole adaptation.

Those monopoles and the highly adjustable Slimline J-Pole are actually the most useful parts for FTA on the entire Slimline dish assembly! I've been looking for dumpstered Slimlines just to harvest these poles. They work perfectly for the job they were designed for, and make a J-Pole-based NPRM installation very easy to level. These useful parts come to us thanks to the fact that Ka-Band alignment is so unforgiving...

Credit to Anole;
He is correct, After spending many hours and many trips to Lowe's/Home Depot searching for hardware that will make the dish 500 conversion the easiest, I found that it would of been much easier to use a directv 18" dish. The arm on the d500 is shorter because E* used a "Yoke" (Y Bracket) to extend the original lnb. Directv did not use the "yoke" on earlier 18" dish's.

If anyone is planning on retrofitting a small dish to aim at the higher powered transponders, I would like to recommend using a Directv dish. It will save a lot of time and head scratching. Credit to Anole for pointing out this thread for anyone who will be attempting this weekend project.

MONOPOLE NOTE:
The monopole worked out well, It made it very easy to adjust the focal point, tilt and the elevation since there are several adjustments. However there is a downside when using the monopoles, The pole arm is slightly wobbly. It's not too bad however for the strong transponders. I had someone go outside and shake the dish as I watched the signal strength inside and did not notice any fluctuation in the sig strength.

My overall grade for the monopole project is a B-

Although you acquired good levels looks like the bracket is taking a small area out of the reception you are locating the linear LNBF slightly over (higher) where it should be, the original LNBF would be located a bit more lower:

attachment.php

looks like this kind of bracket should get the most out of your antenna:

Images extracted from:

http://www.satpro.tv/lnbholdersandbrackets.aspx

Singel_B11.jpg

Singel_B_3.jpg

Well this is just because I'm in fringe I always need the best out of my set up's....within the CONUS things are different.....just wanted to point it out that at least the picture shows the LNB to be a bit over the focus point, for real messures you could place the orignal LNBF and messure the location or focal point.

Good Luck!!!

Last edited:
This is the set up I used to get CCTV9 on 95W and 3ABN on 101W. Using that bracket and a Orion Linear LNB on a 18" Direct TV Dish.

Attachments

• DSCN0628.JPG
    DSCN0628.JPG
    605.5 KB · Views: 201
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)