Azteca 93.1 on Dish 500 - Sucess! (pics)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
DirectDish -

Congrats on your imagination and creativity - :up
One of the best features of the forum - finding new solutions.
I never knew of the monopoles, and now I'm thinking up new uses for 'em - ;)

But back to the main point - Azteca for your friends/customers - :cool:
If the small dish helps ya get by the artificial one-dish limit at the one apartment...
If the free/recycled dish helps cut costs for all the new families who want service...
... then you're probably onto something.
I actually have a neighbor with a 30+ inch dish and a 20".
Looks funny, but probably a lot less annoying than two big dishes on their roof. - :eek:

Thanks for the kind words everyone....And thanks for the constructive criticism, Everything mentioned and suggested is greatly appreciated.

UPDATE:

After noticing the "wobble" the monopole has since it is kinda long, I though that I should take the length out. So after a few cuts I think I have solved the problem. Cut the monopole into 2" sections, there is no wobble what so ever and it looks and feels much more solid, More permanent and professional so to speak.

Here is the final result after cutting the monopoles.

Attachments

• P1030298.JPG
    P1030298.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 136
  • P1030297.JPG
    P1030297.JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 137
  • P1030295.JPG
    P1030295.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 128
  • P1030294.JPG
    P1030294.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 161
On the original method, I was going to offer that fixing the monopole to the LNB arm would be an improvement.

But you made a much better change. The moment arm is shorter...

Good job...

Did you use that method Anole (or someone) has talked about where you use the OEM LNBF and make a template to use when adjusting / aligning the new LNBF?

Two :up :up for the mini-pole, not something a gentleman would usually brag about! - :rolleyes:

While I was out to a Vietnamese lunch today, I noticed some dishes on the apartment building adjacent.
There were several examples of one mini-pole stabilizing the dish's pole.
Guess I'd seen but never noticed them before.
Thanks for the education. :)

Here's that template method for locating the LNB.

Two :up :up for the mini-pole, not something a gentleman would usually brag about! - :rolleyes:

While I was out to a Vietnamese lunch today, I noticed some dishes on the apartment building adjacent.
There were several examples of one mini-pole stabilizing the dish's pole.
Guess I'd seen but never noticed them before.
Thanks for the education. :)

Anole, WOW!.. Guess what?.........I went out for Vietnamese lunch too. What a coincidence. I went to Pho 2000 and had Pho #1 big bowl (authentic noodle soup) ........Amazing, We think alike.

Pho Ga or literally, chicken soup, is hard to beat.
And whoever came up with adding a squeeze of lime to it, has my vote!
Not what I order, but I did have steamed chicken (ga) with rice, today.

See my post above, where I just added link.

Anyway, the point I meant to make and didn't, was that the apartments behind the restaurant had lots of immigrants living there.
So, FTA and subscription dishes were everywhere! :)

I used to live in Garden Grove area of Orange county, Bolsa ave had so many Pho restaurants there. We miss it there a lot. My wife is from Laos and makes a mean bowl of Pho!.....

Back on topic: That template is nice, I guess it's way better than eye balling it :)

There are a few apartment buildings here that are mostly of immigrants of India & Vietnam. Tons of FTA and subscription dish's. It's funny, You can tell the old "pirate" set up's there. Dish 500's with 4 dss lnb's aiming at 119/110/89/91. A couple of times when I had a service call in those apartments, They would see me pull up with Dish shirt and Dish logo's on my truck they would either run for cover or hide their dish's behind their patios.....lol.....Not much of a issue any more......

Sticking to Azteca channels.. today I decided to peek my 6ft dish since it has been windy lately and at one time it actually tipped over LOL not having enough bricks to hold it.

Well today is peeked it at 121w and I was able to get the Azteca HD's on TP 3851 DVB-S2 and got 66% signal.. how about that on a 6ft getting 66% on C-BAND DVB-S2 8PSK :)

here some caps on Azteca 7 HD and Azteca 13 HD

Attachments

• cap_ch44_20091121_171649.jpg
    cap_ch44_20091121_171649.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 158
  • cap_ch45_20091121_171604.jpg
    cap_ch45_20091121_171604.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 170
And another thing

Today for kicks I decided to re-point my Dish500-for-fta dish over to 103, I wasn't sure I'd ever tried for Pentagon Channel the last time I was tinkering with it.
Didn't take long to find it using the old traxis 3500 screaming aim-it system.
Took longer to figure out the skew for that oddball satellite, at first the Pentagon channel was the only thing I could get. But with a little twisting of the lnbf and the dish I was getting two polarities pretty well.
Inside the house , it worked nicely on my Mercury 2. Pentagon averages about 40-45 quality, the newsfeeds do about the same, some better, some less.
Even got the NBC global warming conference babe from Copenhagen at a good signal level.
Would be a good cheap way to fix up somebody with the Pentagon channel if they didn't want a bigger dish installed. Next I think I'll try AMC9 lol.

I meant 103!!! Thats where AMC1 is these days lol

Last edited:
Hi Pro96,

I am in the process of trying to peak my 6 foot prime focus cband dish on 121w. I am a soccer fan and I am interested in watching Setanta Sports. I am using a Fortec 6 foot stationary dish with a BSC 621-2, but only using the lnbf for cband, not connecting the loop cable for ku. I have some issues with Setanta coming in on some receivers. I think it is because of the FEC of 7/8. I have also tried to get the AZTECA HD s2 mux but no luck no matter what I try. I am in Toronto. I am curious as to what lnbf, receiver and dish you are using ?

Hi Pro96,

I am in the process of trying to peak my 6 foot prime focus cband dish on 121w. I am a soccer fan and I am interested in watching Setanta Sports. I am using a Fortec 6 foot stationary dish with a BSC 621-2, but only using the lnbf for cband, not connecting the loop cable for ku. I have some issues with Setanta coming in on some receivers. I think it is because of the FEC of 7/8. I have also tried to get the AZTECA HD s2 mux but no luck no matter what I try. I am in Toronto. I am curious as to what lnbf, receiver and dish you are using ?

I am using a 6FT Fortec dish with a DMX741 LNB + an AZBox HD Elite.
Here in Socal.. I am getting AZTECA HD S2 Mux fine with 65% Quality.

You been in Toronto might be harder to do so with a six footer... even an 8ft would be kinda low. Your best bet would be 10ft and up to get those S2 C-Band signals.

inline amplifier and your problem will be solved

Hi Pro96,

I'm a soccer fan as well and was having the same problem with that signal, get yourself a inline amplifier (easy to find it at R.S. ) connect it to your coax cable before it goes in the box and you'll be all set, you'll be watching all the soccer you want on that bird.
Good luck.

I'm a soccer fan as well and was having the same problem with that signal, get yourself a inline amplifier (easy to find it at R.S. ) connect it to your coax cable before it goes in the box and you'll be all set, you'll be watching all the soccer you want on that bird.
Good luck.

Nice tip.. In fact today the Mexican Soccer League Finals start. Cruz Azul @ Monterrey game 1.

Should be exciting game on Azteca HD

little dish pix:

Some of these pictures may have been in previous threads where DirectDishNet discussed their use.
I wanted to bring them all back to one post.
And for anyone who may read this thread later:

- Turbosat has clever mod to hold LNB on a Dish500

- McGuyver photo gallery - pix of Dish 500 with FTA LNB

- Bill_Ky earlier in this thread shows how it's done on 18" DirecTV dish

- Anole shows his slightly larger DirecTV Phase III dish sporting an Invacom

Just remember: these small dishes are not a general solution.
They work only on very strong signals!
For everything else, consider a 36" FTA dish.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts