"Baby-C" dialed in!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

eurosport

In Dave Grohl We Trust!
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 31, 2008
North Florida
Today I took out the ol' 13 inch TV and my dead-battery DSR-410 and got the 5 footer locked on W5. The results were actually pretty good for a smaller dish like that. Between the dish not having ANY markings for az/el and the small size making it very touchy, we got it done! Now when my new DSR-410 comes next week we'll get a sub going and see how well this project will do. babycw5.jpg

Attachments

• babycw5ebno.jpg
    babycw5ebno.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 255
  • babycw5signal.jpg
    babycw5signal.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 251
Tvropro is looking for people who might have receivers to donate for the cause. Read his site regarding 4Play. Your dead 410 sounds like a candidate for something good.

Congratulations!
Stoker

Great work! I'll be adjusting my 6' onto W5 soon in order to begin subscribing as well.

Question: How do you know your DSR410 has a dead battery? After not using my DSR410 receiver for several years now I'm getting worried.

Nice work there!
You have 64% signal with a 5ft dish.
I'm getting 99% with a 10ft temporarily set up with a DMS Intl model ASC421 13*K LNBF. The dish is located close to ground level between my house & fence in the back yard.
I'm getting TVRI from some neighbors' car ignition or the guy across the street when he's arc welding(it seems to happen most often in the evening when his shop lights are lit leading me to think that is the source.)
Might it be better to have a smaller dish for H2H on a 410 or 4DTV IRDs to reduce this TVRI?
Just to compare notes: Do you pick up much TVRI from ignition or other sources with your 5ft dish?

Question: How do you know your DSR410 has a dead battery? After not using my DSR410 receiver for several years now I'm getting worried.

The Unit ID should match the sticker on the back of the unit. You could also call SRL and ask them to see if the number is good.

Very nice :)

I had a 5 foot mesh dish and it worked pretty good on the stronger transponders :)
Used it with a "pole in a bucket" for a while :)

Thanks, guys! This is the 5ft solid metal Radio Shack "G5 special" that I rescued from the scrap heap last summer.
Do you pick up much TVRI from ignition or other sources with your 5ft dish?
...brex2001, I can't answer this for you yet, since I don't have my good 410 yet. When it arrives, I will give a full report of any interference/signal/weather issues. This could be the answer for people who don't want the small dish services and their contracts and stuff, but don't want a large 8 to 10ft dish either.

This one has a goofy ID number nothing like the one on the back. Also it CHANGES every time I plug it in! :eek: ..It still works for finding DCII signals, though. At 17 bucks it don't owe me anything after it helped me get the 5'er tuned in! :D:up

After not using my DSR410 receiver for several years now I'm getting worried.

I would change the battery right away if still good.

You can check by going to option 6 4 or if the unit is 12:00pm and on channel 255/204 when first plugged in. (Like after a MR)

Pic is of a unit that has a bad ID.

Attachments

• bad_id.JPG
    bad_id.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 240
Last edited:
Thanks, guys! This is the 5ft solid metal Radio Shack "G5 special" that I rescued from the scrap heap last summer.

...brex2001, I can't answer this for you yet, since I don't have my good 410 yet. When it arrives, I will give a full report of any interference/signal/weather issues. This could be the answer for people who don't want the small dish services and their contracts and stuff, but don't want a large 8 to 10ft dish either.
That's fine. I can wait.
I need to check for other things now. The interference is still going on even though the guy across the street isn't home this weekend.
Odd random flashing green bars in the screen about 1" tall on a 42" screen. The LNBF is directly connected to the 410.
I'll try a ground wire to water pipe at the temporary dish. My initial thought was that the larger antenna was more sensitive to RFI being of higher gain.

Any chance the cops may be using radar around your area?

Possibly.
I've noticed that I may need a new microwave oven lately....the leaking radiation causes the screen to black out when the power is on 50% or less levels. The Magic Chef has lost its 'magic'.:rolleyes:
Could be the neighbors' microwave oven too. Time for the tinfoil hat.:eek::D

This is not good. If you got a signal strength meter bring it around the microwave. If you get readings not good at all. If you have a big microwave it should be on a dedicated circuit.
Not same your equipment for HT is on for sure.

OK, kitchen appliances aside, I have confirmation that my 410 is on its way! Baby C should be fully functional this weekend. :)

OK, kitchen appliances aside, I have confirmation that my 410 is on its way! Baby C should be fully functional this weekend. :)
Yeah, sorry about that.
I'll move my thread idea to the FTA area. I didn't mean to tread on your thread. :)
Eurosport, see what satellite designation you come up with in the tuning window of your 410....AI or X4. Mine is still AI & working fine.

No biggie. I'd get that oven fixed though! My dead 410 has no satellite listed. When the new one gets here I'll check it. :)

My DSR410 is in. I will be setting it up on the 5ft this weekend. I tested it on my 7.5ft today and all is well. Satellite designator is AI and full guide and correct time loaded instantly!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)