Babylon 5 reboot coming

klang

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 4, 2003
Colorado Springs, CO
Believe it when I see it : ‘Babylon 5’ Series Reboot From J. Michael Straczynski In Works At the CW

Coincidentally, I just last night finished watching the latest Remastered version on Apple TV. While I enjoyed watching the show again after all these years the results of the remastering aren't worth the price. Picture quality overall is poor IMO.

Do I once again have to be the pessimist here?

Should I assume that because it's the CW (owned by CBS), they're going to ruin the reboot, just like how CBS ruined Star Trek?

Is it going to be a dark, dystopian and gloomy 2257, with teen-drama millennial writers creating stories based on current events?

I can see it now. A whole season focused on an evil arrogant white guy representing Trump and his supporters. John Sheridan constantly getting lectured and his decisions overridden by a female woman of color who can solve every problem in the universe, despite how illogical her actions happen to be. And don't forget, there'll be multiple remarks about diversity and inclusion, to specifically appease the LGBTQ community and leftist political agendas. Maybe there'll even be an episode about a virus infecting the station and how a bunch of people who don't want to take a "vaccine" are called out as extremists and anti-vaxxers.

This is happening with EVERY science-fiction show these days, except for a few outliers like The Expanse and The Orville.

Remember, we live in a time when good storytelling doesn't matter anymore. The only thing that matters is getting across "the message".

So I'm sure you can understand my skepticism, even if Straczynski is involved. We all saw what happened with Bryan Fuller.

Reactions: SamCdbs
Having just watched the original I’m not convinced a reboot is needed at this point.

Yes, I expect modern sensibilities will be a part, especially on CW.

Who knows? Probably years away anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Howard Simmons
Loved the original series. I'll give the reboot a shot with an open mind.

PS: please keep politics out of the discussion. People have been booted off the site for comments like above. Be prepared for the moderators to either edit or delete posts that violate the rules. Ask me how I know. ;)

The remaster is definitely worth the money.

I fear a reboot. B5 barely happened at all. His second try with the Rangers was axed before it could get going. I have doubts with him getting the backing he needs. The other issue is he wrote most of the original B5, a process that was insanely difficult on him.

I’d prefer instead of a reboot, move forward with the story, especially the PsiCorp.

ETA, it seems that this is very very far from a done deal.

Last edited:
PS: please keep politics out of the discussion.
It won't let me edit my post because it's been a few hours since I wrote it. I only wanted to point out that this is how Hollywood is acting right now with 90% of modern television shows and movies.

We saw it with Star Trek, Star Wars and Doctor Who. It's also happening with recent Marvel movies and even the new James Bond movie that's coming out soon. I just don't agree with it, because agenda is being given preference over good storytelling. Anyways, I won't post any more about it than that.

It won't let me edit my post because it's been a few hours since I wrote it. I only wanted to point out that this is how Hollywood is acting right now with 90% of modern television shows and movies.

We saw it with Star Trek, Star Wars and Doctor Who. It's also happening with recent Marvel movies and even the new James Bond movie that's coming out soon. I just don't agree with it, because agenda is being given preference over good storytelling. Anyways, I won't post any more about it than that.
I understand.

Reactions: Yespage
This is happening with EVERY science-fiction show these days, except for a few outliers like The Expanse and The Orville.
The Orville? Really? How about the Moclans? :eeek
agenda is being given preference over good storytelling.
I think this has nothing to do with the presence or absence of an agenda. IMHO good storytelling rarely comes togehter in any genre.

Reactions: Yespage

Yes, Star Trek - The Original Series... (1960s) a story about a group of mixed racial / gender folk and an alien... on an intergalactic mission of exploration and peace.

Reactions: N5XZS and TheKrell
If it does come to pass it will be interesting to see what Straczynski creates with contemporary special effects. Hopefully he creates a brand new cast of characters rather than retreads from the original. Wonder if he can come up with something more creepy than the Shadows?

Reactions: Foxbat and TheKrell
If it does come to pass it will be interesting to see what Straczynski creates with contemporary special effects. Hopefully he creates a brand new cast of characters rather than retreads from the original. Wonder if he can come up with something more creepy than the Shadows?
This would be why it'd be better to move forward in the narrative and go into a PsiCorp War. Why in the world would one reinvent near perfection in the first place?

With MJS attached to the project I have hopes that it will be something worth watching. But like all SciFi series that have a continuing story line, like the original B5 I'll wait for the complete series to be shot so I don't get stuck with story line that leaves you hanging.

Reactions: TheKrell
With MJS attached to the project I have hopes that it will be something worth watching. But like all SciFi series that have a continuing story line, like the original B5 I'll wait for the complete series to be shot so I don't get stuck with story line that leaves you hanging.
Again, he is writing a pilot... this isn't remotely green light'd.

I always disliked the PsiCorp storyline. Especially Byron.
Bester is one of my favorite villains in media. Byron... and season five, had that been Season six or seven, it could have worked out better, but Season Five was shoved into Season Four.
Almost half the original cast is dead now. Continuing the original storyline is impossible.
Sure it is. The doctor is on Earth, Garibaldi is running things Evers' company on Mars, G'Kar is flying around space with Lita. They are already out of the story. The only person missing that would matter would be Delann. The bigger issue, though would be Koenig is 85 years old. And while Bester can be old, don't know if Koenig is up to it. And seeing they aren't even going this direction, it isn't very relevant.